First Low and Slow EVER

Bbqallday80

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I got deep into bbq and 7 years ago and was able to go to Myron Mixon’s cooking class. So, I started cooking hot and fast and basically did everything he taught and it is delicious and great food. Yesterday I bought a slab of ribs ( not St Louis style ) and found myself watching Malcom Reed on YouTube doing low and slow ribs. I decided I wanted to at least try it and see how low and slow tasted. I did basically everything he did. Just salt and pepper and just a little of his rub. I cooked them for 6 hours at 235 with lumberjack competition blend. I finished them with some peach glaze and I have to say these were hands down the best ribs I have ever cooked and eaten. I may have to start moving over into the low and slow field. Does brisket taste that much better cooked slow? Gotta love bbq and all you can do.

In my opinion low and slow (very slow) is the only way to go for brisket. My last one was on the smoker for approx: 20 hrs at 225, then rested in a cooler wrapped in towels for 2-3 hours before slicing at a small party I recently attended. It was gone in about 30 minutes while all the other food went pretty much untouched.

To say it was well liked is an understatement. People RAVED about the brisket. One attendee stated that he would pay me $200+ per brisket if I would be willing to supply them for future get togethers.

I know some do ribs fast like 350 for 2 - 3 hrs and smaller ones can come out ok. Personally have never even tried. Some meats need to be low & slow like brisket as above & beef short ribs or port butt since they will just not break down properly.

I guess you could cook hot until done temps but the tenderness of hot & fast will be tough results on some cooks.

What have you cooked hot & fast other than ribs where low & slow is the traditional method?

I even do low & slow on steaks for a reverse sear since I learned that.

I know some do ribs fast like 350 for 2 - 3 hrs and smaller ones can come out ok. Personally have never even tried. Some meats need to be low & slow like brisket as above & beef short ribs or port butt since they will just not break down properly.

I guess you could cook hot until done temps but the tenderness of hot & fast will be tough results on some cooks.

What have you cooked hot & fast other than ribs where low & slow is the traditional method?

I even do low & slow on steaks for a reverse sear since I learned that.
I basically cook everything hot and fast. Pork butt, ribs, brisket. To be honest, I’ve never cooked below 275 for any meat. Gonna be trying a pork butt slow soon.

Aaron Franklin smokes his briskets at 275-300 and his turn out half decent. There isn’t anything magical about 225 or 250 but for most of us it gives a bigger window for getting it right. When you go hot and fast (and you don’t cook 100+ briskets a day) low and slow is likely to allow you to be more consistent. On briskets the “rest” is probably the most underrated, underutilized portion of the cook IMHO.

Aaron Franklin smokes his briskets at 275-300 and his turn out half decent. There isn’t anything magical about 225 or 250 but for most of us it gives a bigger window for getting it right. When you go hot and fast (and you don’t cook 100+ briskets a day) low and slow is likely to allow you to be more consistent. On briskets the “rest” is probably the most underrated, underutilized portion of the cook IMHO.
That’s a very true statement. I may cook one or two briskets a year. So it really is about getting that one or two as perfect as possible

You'll love that pb low and slow. not only is it more tender (IMHO) i think the flavor is better because it all cadillacs in itself for so much longer.
I look forward to it. How long do you allow your pb to rest after a low and slow cook? What are the average times of cooking at a 225-250 for them?

Wow.. and it comes out ok? Serious question. I would have never thought.
That’s how Myron Mixon cooks and he has some really good bbq. I started wondering if he is able to do this because the quality of meat. I don’t no. Pork butt comes out good and ribs are good. I don’t do much brisket, like one or two a year. You don’t get much smoke flavor or bark. The ribs I did yesterday I didn’t wrap and cooked at 235 and the smoke flavor was so good and the tenderness was almost falling off the bone. It was a huge difference in how I normally cook.

That’s how Myron Mixon cooks and he has some really good bbq. I started wondering if he is able to do this because the quality of meat. I don’t no. Pork butt comes out good and ribs are good. I don’t do much brisket, like one or two a year. You don’t get much smoke flavor or bark. The ribs I did yesterday I didn’t wrap and cooked at 235 and the smoke flavor was so good and the tenderness was almost falling off the bone. It was a huge difference in how I normally cook.

Opened my mind a bit here.. thanks.

Now I'll be in bed at 10PM and be like.. let's fire up the smoker and make a midnight snack 😁

Wow.. and it comes out ok? Serious question. I would have never thought.
At recteq Academy we were in teams cooking in a competition with chicken, ribs, brisket, and pork butt. Brisket and pork butt done one day, chicken and ribs done the next. All hot and fast-no low and slow, 24 hour cooks. Done by 3:00 PM each day. Frankly, I was surprised how well everything turned out. I’m still cooking butts and brisket low and slow, but I now am cooking my chicken and ribs at 300*+.

At recteq Academy we were in teams cooking in a competition with chicken, ribs, brisket, and pork butt. Brisket and pork butt done one day, chicken and ribs done the next. All hot and fast-no low and slow, 24 hour cooks. Done by 3:00 PM each day. Frankly, I was surprised how well everything turned out. I’m still cooking butts and brisket low and slow, but I now am cooking my chicken and ribs at 300*+.

I'm just speechless.. I always wondered how those competitions get them done in a day yet still be good or even BBQ places.

I'm just speechless.. I always wondered how those competitions get them done in a day yet still be good or even BBQ places.
BBQ places will usually still do it low and slow. They often cook at night, then re-heat it during the day’s service.

Me, trimming brisket with Chef Greg, Academy December 2020.
A22382DF-11B4-4D08-968E-1A51EF70CAE8.jpeg

I've never had any success with long cooks on pork shoulders, Boston butts. etc......they all turn out too dry.

I get a whole hog every Spring and last year I had them cut that portion of the hog into 4-5 pound sections because I'm usually only smoking them for my wife and I. I leave the fat on them. I inject them with a mixture of apple juice, brown sugar, and salt. I use mustard and some butt rub I get at Publix - can't remember the name - as a rub. I put it on the grill on low for 90 minutes just to smoke it - spritzing it every 20 minutes with an apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix. I pull it off, double wrap it in foil, put whatever is left of my injection mix in the foil, put it in a pan, and put it back on the grill at 275. I pull it off when the IT hits 195-200 degrees. It's tender and moist every time.

I cook my ribs using the 3-2-1 method at 250 and I do wrap them after 3 hours. I cook a lot of split chickens. I smoke them on low for an hour, double wrap them, put them in a pan, crank up the grill to 350, and cook them until the IT is at 200.

I don't think I've ever had anything in my grill over six hours that turned out well.

I've never had any success with long cooks on pork shoulders, Boston butts. etc......they all turn out too dry.

I get a whole hog every Spring and last year I had them cut that portion of the hog into 4-5 pound sections because I'm usually only smoking them for my wife and I. I leave the fat on them. I inject them with a mixture of apple juice, brown sugar, and salt. I use mustard and some butt rub I get at Publix - can't remember the name - as a rub. I put it on the grill on low for 90 minutes just to smoke it - spritzing it every 20 minutes with an apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix. I pull it off, double wrap it in foil, put whatever is left of my injection mix in the foil, put it in a pan, and put it back on the grill at 275. I pull it off when the IT hits 195-200 degrees. It's tender and moist every time.

I cook my ribs using the 3-2-1 method at 250 and I do wrap them after 3 hours. I cook a lot of split chickens. I smoke them on low for an hour, double wrap them, put them in a pan, crank up the grill to 350, and cook them until the IT is at 200.

I don't think I've ever had anything in my grill over six hours that turned out well.
Learning how I cooked from Myron made it to were it isn’t hard to cook hot and fast. It’s lots of injections and steps but works. This was my first slow cook going by Malcolm Reeds video and it came out amazing and tender. I did spritz every hour.

I'll normally do hot and fast using wood and charcoal. But with pellets I always go low and slow for the smoke flavor. I have but don't use a tube because I don't like the bitter dirty smoke it puts off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back