Bull First Full Packer Brisket Cook

Snorebaby

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
I bought a 16lb brisket from Costco last month. Waiting on the right time to do our first overnight cook. Been hectic here lately. Finally got an opportunity to do it last week on Valentines Day. After trimming it weighed approx. 12lb. Used a light coat of MeatChurch Holy Cow and our own sweet rub mixture.

20230214_205008.jpg

Decided to make Beef Tallow also with the trimmings so we put the pan on at the same time to render the fat. Put them on the grill at 10pm with a temp of 225.

20230214_215736.jpg

Went to bed. Got up at 8am and the temps were close to each other, 168 for the flat and 165 for the point. Confirmed with my Thermoworks Dash.
Wrapped in butcher paper and used some of the fresh tallow for moisture in the wrap. Returned to the Bull and let it run until it was probe tender (approx 3hrs, pulled at 11:15am). Temp was 205. Let it rest in the upper (smaller) oven (we have a double oven) until it was 165, about 3hrs. Set the oven to hold/warm @ 170 for the next 3 hrs to keep it warm for dinner.

The end result:

20230215_182952.jpg

20230215_183142.jpg

The rest of the meal was also done on the bull. Asparagus and Creamed Sliced Radishes.

20230215_183744.jpg

We went to Recteq's WeCookWednesday while the brisket was resting. Jody was doing a full packer "hot and fast". 325 until IT is 200. About 5hrs, wrap in aluminum after pulling and let rest for 2hrs. They gave out samples and it was juicy and tender. Gonna have to try that next time.

I bought a 16lb brisket from Costco last month. Waiting on the right time to do our first overnight cook. Been hectic here lately. Finally got an opportunity to do it last week on Valentines Day. After trimming it weighed approx. 12lb. Used a light coat of MeatChurch Holy Cow and our own sweet rub mixture.

View attachment 18637

Decided to make Beef Tallow also with the trimmings so we put the pan on at the same time to render the fat. Put them on the grill at 10pm with a temp of 225.

View attachment 18638

Went to bed. Got up at 8am and the temps were close to each other, 168 for the flat and 165 for the point. Confirmed with my Thermoworks Dash.
Wrapped in butcher paper and used some of the fresh tallow for moisture in the wrap. Returned to the Bull and let it run until it was probe tender (approx 3hrs, pulled at 11:15am). Temp was 205. Let it rest in the upper (smaller) oven (we have a double oven) until it was 165, about 3hrs. Set the oven to hold/warm @ 170 for the next 3 hrs to keep it warm for dinner.

The end result:

View attachment 18639

View attachment 18640

The rest of the meal was also done on the bull. Asparagus and Creamed Sliced Radishes.

View attachment 18641
We went to Recteq's WeCookWednesday while the brisket was resting. Jody was doing a full packer "hot and fast". 325 until IT is 200. About 5hrs, wrap in aluminum after pulling and let rest for 2hrs. They gave out samples and it was juicy and tender. Gonna have to try that next time.
Well, no offense to Jody, but I sure don’t see anything wrong with what you cooked. If that was your first brisket, I’d say you pretty much nailed it. Nicely done!

Very nice! I've never heard of creamed sliced radishes, but sounds interesting and I have a bunch of fresh ones in my fridge right now. Do you have a preferred recipe or way of making them? Thanks in advance.

Very nice! I've never heard of creamed sliced radishes, but sounds interesting and I have a bunch of fresh ones in my fridge right now. Do you have a preferred recipe or way of making them? Thanks in advance.
The wife does them. Not sure how or what all goes in it, but I will post it in this thread later today. I am diabetic and control it with food choices instead of medicine. Radishes lose their "bite" when cooked but keep the flavor.

@Mannydog @NBK

Finally got enough time to sit down and get her to tell me the recipe. She is an old school cook and doesn't always measure and this is one of those recipe's.

Creamed Sliced Radishes:
1lb of large radishes
4 strips of bacon
2 Tbs of butter (if needed)
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 small onion - Diced (or 1/8 cup dried minced onion)
Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Heavy Whipping Cream

1. Cook the bacon in a frying pan until done. Remove from grease and crumble in a small bowl. Keep grease in pan.

2. Slice radishes and add to frying pan over med. heat to brown. Add the butter if needed to help the radishes brown.

3. While frying radishes add the Italian Seasoning and Paprika. When almost done add the onion (diced or minced).

4. Add crumbled bacon and enough Heavy Whipping Cream to barely cover the radishes. Stir to incorporate. Add some Shredded Parmesan Cheese to help thicken the cream to your liking and continue to stir until satisfied all is incorporated.

5. Put in baking dish. Sprinkle some cheese on the top. Place in a preheated Recteq @ 350* for 30min.

ENJOY!!

We experiment with the amounts and sometimes the ingredients in a lot of our recipe's. She will RARELY follow a recipe to the letter. Even the first time doing it!!

We cook differently than most as I am diabetic and control it with food choices. Most of our dishes are low carb/high fat. It is amazing when cooking this way the different foods taste totally different from what you expect. The radishes in this recipe no longer taste how you expect. There is no "bite" or harsh flavor. We actually use them in our pot roast recipe in place of potatoes. Quartered and fried with bacon and topped with cheese is also delicious.

We hope you like it as much as we do.

@Mannydog @NBK

Finally got enough time to sit down and get her to tell me the recipe. She is an old school cook and doesn't always measure and this is one of those recipe's.

Creamed Sliced Radishes:
1lb of large radishes
4 strips of bacon
2 Tbs of butter (if needed)
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 small onion - Diced (or 1/8 cup dried minced onion)
Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Heavy Whipping Cream

1. Cook the bacon in a frying pan until done. Remove from grease and crumble in a small bowl. Keep grease in pan.

2. Slice radishes and add to frying pan over med. heat to brown. Add the butter if needed to help the radishes brown.

3. While frying radishes add the Italian Seasoning and Paprika. When almost done add the onion (diced or minced).

4. Add crumbled bacon and enough Heavy Whipping Cream to barely cover the radishes. Stir to incorporate. Add some Shredded Parmesan Cheese to help thicken the cream to your liking and continue to stir until satisfied all is incorporated.

5. Put in baking dish. Sprinkle some cheese on the top. Place in a preheated Recteq @ 350* for 30min.

ENJOY!!

We experiment with the amounts and sometimes the ingredients in a lot of our recipe's. She will RARELY follow a recipe to the letter. Even the first time doing it!!

We cook differently than most as I am diabetic and control it with food choices. Most of our dishes are low carb/high fat. It is amazing when cooking this way the different foods taste totally different from what you expect. The radishes in this recipe no longer taste how you expect. There is no "bite" or harsh flavor. We actually use them in our pot roast recipe in place of potatoes. Quartered and fried with bacon and topped with cheese is also delicious.

We hope you like it as much as we do.

Thanks very much to you & your wife for sharing the recipe. I cook much the same way and don't follow recipes too often, but this is the first I've heard of creamed radishes, so I'll likely try it this way first.

Thanks very much to you & your wife for sharing the recipe. I cook much the same way and don't follow recipes too often, but this is the first I've heard of creamed radishes, so I'll likely try it this way first.
Your welcome. It was a spur of the moment recipe. She made it up as she went along and it worked out well. She does that quite often.

View attachment 18637

View attachment 18638

The end result:

View attachment 18639

View attachment 18640

View attachment 18641

perfect brisket. Looks wonderful.

View attachment 18637

View attachment 18638

The end result:

View attachment 18639

View attachment 18640

View attachment 18641
Looks wonderful. Looks like you nailed it right on the money. I can taste it from here. Nice work.

View attachment 18637

View attachment 18638

The end result:

View attachment 18639

View attachment 18640

View attachment 18641
Looks so good. Great job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back