Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
It was Wyld! I did the burn-in today, then grilled thick pork chops and asparagus on it for dinner. I believe this will be a nice addition to the toolkit.

Attachments

• 1B67CEA9-223C-401F-9FB5-247EC37D176A.jpeg
    1B67CEA9-223C-401F-9FB5-247EC37D176A.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 263
  • F53079D1-B35A-4FC6-9429-9E2317B139D3.jpeg
    F53079D1-B35A-4FC6-9429-9E2317B139D3.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 160
  • 668A1EA0-B6E0-4A03-9597-194B406AD9F8.jpeg
    668A1EA0-B6E0-4A03-9597-194B406AD9F8.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 157
Looks awesome congrats! Is that wood only or blended with charcoal? Thoughts on the blower for temp control? I like that idea.

I used mostly ash wood for the burn-in, used mostly FOGO SP lump charcoal for the cook. Eventually I want to be mostly wood, as I have a good supply of ash here dying due to the emerald ash borer, so that’s free fuel. That’s one of my ash trees in the picture behind the grill.

The fan works great, but there will be a learning curve to this grill. So far it appears that for quick adjustments, like when I went from hot sear to low temps to finish the chops, raising the grates is the way to go. For more gradual adjustments, the fan seems to be a good choice. The wow factor of using this grill, especially as the sun goes down, is off the charts! It’s like having a relaxing fire pit while having all the smells of cooking your food.

Ahh.. I think I just got some of that blended fire/cooking smell :)..

What a excellent addition to the team.. I plan to continue to use my Weber Kettle. There is no replacing that flavor.

Fan functions seem really cool on a grill like that. Gives you flexibility. Enjoy!

Never seen one in person. A friend in NJ was at a party where the host cooked on his Wyldside. He said it was awesome, now he wants one.

Looks like a lot of fun! Hope you share more photos and cooks on it.
I have a busy week planned for it. I’m doing two chickens on the spit today and I bought a pork rib roast at Costco to do on the spit this weekend. I also have a spit basket on order, and when that gets here I’m trying ribs on the spit. Should be fun!

I have a busy week planned for it. I’m doing two chickens on the spit today and I bought a pork rib roast at Costco to do on the spit this weekend. I also have a spit basket on order, and when that gets here I’m trying ribs on the spit. Should be fun!
Pics are good and yum!

I'm in the wrong family!! Can't wait to see the pictures :)

Very nice, Greg! I have a Santa Maria attachment for my Kettle and enjoy it, so I can see where having an RT-A would be lots of fun.

Last night’s adventure on the Wyldside was a 7# bone-in pork roast. I’m still very much a rookie at this rotisserie thing, but this roast turned out amazing! I’m running a dual mode thermometer in the meat, which tells me the meat temp and the external temp (Spitjack.com). The external temp at the spit eventually got to 325* and total cook time was right at two hours. Love this grill!

The third image is a video clip, and it appears you have to click on it individually to view.

Attachments

• D976BA01-55D8-4692-89C6-DAAE39FADE6D.jpeg
    D976BA01-55D8-4692-89C6-DAAE39FADE6D.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 115
  • CE7D5454-A950-4F64-BF2B-86CE278B331D.jpeg
    CE7D5454-A950-4F64-BF2B-86CE278B331D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 117
  • 14236565-A28C-4818-8FCA-BCC045513784.jpeg
    14236565-A28C-4818-8FCA-BCC045513784.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 126
  • CD902BCC-3513-4C49-893E-9901140201C3.jpeg
    CD902BCC-3513-4C49-893E-9901140201C3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 121
Last night’s adventure on the Wyldside was a 7# bone-in pork roast. I’m still very much a rookie at this rotisserie thing, but this roast turned out amazing! I’m running a dual mode thermometer in the meat, which tells me the meat temp and the external temp (Spitjack.com). The external temp at the spit eventually got to 325* and total cook time was right at two hours. Love this grill!

The third image is a video clip, and it appears you have to click on it individually to view.
Nice @Greg Jones. Thanks for sharing.

Okay Greg,
What was the best part, the cooking or the eating?

That’s easy, for me it’s all about the cooking. I love cooking for family and friends, and there hasn’t been nearly enough of that in 2020. Thankfully my youngest son is home with us from school for an extended Christmas break (mid-November to mid-January), so I have a captive audience! Frankly, I didn’t even finish my cut of pork last night. However, my wife and son had seconds, so I think they liked it! Between the work of prepping the entire meal and tasting the food as I go, I’m often not hungry by the time the meal hits the table.

Wow my wife is going to kill me. After successfully negotiating the purchase of our Bull in June, I feel another discussion about wants versus needs in my future. Maybe I just show her the photos and hope it becomes her idea.
If you're cooking it's a need, must have now for the holidays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back