First Cook After Burn In

Big D

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello, fellow Rec Teq folks.

I recently ordered my RT-700, and it should arrive next week. I have seen various ideas for the first cook after the burn in, from bacon to chicken thighs. I'm thinking, why not a 4 or 5 pound slab of pork belly. It seems like there would be plenty of fat to season the grill, and it's a little more special than regular old bacon. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I recently ordered my RT-700, and it should arrive next week. I have seen various ideas for the first cook after the burn in, from bacon to chicken thighs. I'm thinking, why not a 4 or 5 pound slab of pork belly. It seems like there would be plenty of fat to season the grill, and it's a little more special than regular old bacon. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I didn't read the ideas of what to cook after burn-in and did some ribeyes. Next day did Dino Ribs. Seems to me that it'll season as you use it but I'm thinking that pork belly would take care of it pretty quickly.

Thanks for your input. I had heard that starting with something fatty helps to put a lay inside that helps to keep ash from flying around, etc. That being said, I agree that this will happen over time anyway. Dino Ribs and Ribeyes sound good and are definitely on my list. Thanks again.

Cook any kind of meat and you will be fine. It’s not ’seasoning’ in the traditional sense, of seasoning a cast iron skillet to build a not-stick surface. I can’t say I know why recteq makes a big deal out of the seasoning process, but my opinion is that they want you to get a layer of fat on the non-stainless parts as quickly as possible after the user burns off the oils from the manufacturing process. Pork belly will absolutely do that!

Cook any kind of meat and you will be fine. It’s not ’seasoning’ in the traditional sense, of seasoning a cast iron skillet to build a not-stick surface. I can’t say I know why recteq makes a big deal out of the seasoning process, but my opinion is that they want you to get a layer of fat on the non-stainless parts as quickly as possible after the user burns off the oils from the manufacturing process. Pork belly will absolutely do that!

Thank!

Pork belly sounds like fun! I went with bacon for my first cook because it would be quick, would be fatty, and would help identify any glaring hotspots. And because bacon! 🥓🥓🥓🥓🥓

Have fun with yours!

If you want a thorough seasoning, you can cook the fattier foods or for maximun impact, spray the interior surfaces and grates with duck fat and set the temp to 400 for an hour. This technique ensures everything sets an even coating of fat instead of hoping the proteins splatter enough for a coating. Just my thoughts. Congrats.

I started with a butt and was then dissapointed with the taste of my next two cooks. the food just didn’t have that traditional bbq taste. that all changed after throwing a couple pounds of bacon in there and turning up the heat. The flavor of my food was much better after. My theory is the low temp butt cook didn’t cover everythig with fat like all that sizling bacon did.
as others have said your gonna get there eventually anyway. But u can’t go wrong with bacon!

Thanks!
I chose Pork Belly for my first cook on the 700 and it turned out great and seasoned the grill as well.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back