First Brisket

Edthebook

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Did my first brisket on a pellet grill. I have always done it on a kamado using lump charcoal

i feel as if I was cheating. I never had a brisket so fantastic. Never had one with the bark and smoke ring like this. It was basically melt in your mouth.

i had the 700 for a week and love it

4285CF18-E82F-4E91-AE77-B210DFC77550.jpeg

Looks awesome!

how much did the Brisket weigh before the cook?

how long did you cook for and what temp?

It was a whole brisket that was almost 12lbs. I trimmed off almost 6 lbs of fat. I put it on at 11 pm at the low/smoke setting that was 180 for about 2 hours using Pit Boss Apple. i also had a rack containing some of the fat above it to help baste it. I raised the temp to 225 after the two hours ( when I woke up to go to the lav) and let it cook thru the night. At 6 am the brisket was about 147 . I raised the temp to 235 until it got to the stall and then wrapped each with pink paper. I than finished cooking at 250 to brisket temp of 200 without the fat above it. The point was done at 1:30 and the flat about 3 pm. Pulled each when they reached 200 and wrapped with foil and let rest In a cooler surrounded with old towels. used this rub and BBQ sauce. Really didn’t need any sauce because it was fantastic, the BBQ sauce is still great as a little extra kick. Hit the blue underline link at the bottom of the attachment to be able to read them. Making the BBQ sauce is easy and the rub is also. I keep the rub in a empty large cinnamon container with the instructions taped on it. The jar also helps applying the rub on the meat. I use also use this rub for other meats. Found Mennards, 5 Below, and the Christmas Store, to have decent prices on the spices

I skip number 6 where it says to add the drippings to the sauce. The directions are also for using a lump coal smoker with wood chips. I attached It for the rub and sauce.

Attachments

• 1E40F548-35C2-4431-9EC6-CBF79EA38180.png
    1E40F548-35C2-4431-9EC6-CBF79EA38180.png
    726.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 8B1C263E-AC71-4F96-A5D3-E4396C9F5654.png
    8B1C263E-AC71-4F96-A5D3-E4396C9F5654.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Looks great. Congrats on your first Brisket.

I would also post the instructions in the recipe thread as well so others can use it and find it easier..thanks for sharing...so whens the next one? Lol...

Looks awesome! I haven’t attempted a brisket yet, but now I’m going to have to.

It is fantastic. Follow the directions I posted . I put the rub on put in the fridge the night before. Trimmed off most of the fat. I took the fat that had some of the meat and put on a grate that I place over the brisket to melt down on it and baste it when grilling. I kept the fat in the fridge in a plastic bag

when it reached 160 or the stall I wrapped in pink butcher paper. didn’t add anything. I like using a whole brisket even though there is a lot of fat because I think the point is the best part. I separate the point from the flat when grilling.

had left overs today.

i also love Jalapeños poppers that i make to have with it. I take the peppers, remove the seeds, stuff with cream cheese, cheese spread or similar, and wrap with bacon. Fantastic Cook at 350 until bacon gets to how you like it.

Attachments

• 92C7979E-A6E0-4A2A-99B7-B4ED1CA9F933.jpeg
    92C7979E-A6E0-4A2A-99B7-B4ED1CA9F933.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
I am a little neurotic about leaving my grill going while I sleep. So is there any way to do a brisket in 6 to 8 hours and still have it come out with a nice smoke ring and tender.

I did my first brisket a bit ago and while it looked and tasted fantastic, it was … well, a little dry. It was a 4.75 lb Flat from Costco. It started out fresh but was frozen a couple of weeks by the time I got around to cooking it.

Prep: Rubbed with yellow mustard, coated liberally with Heffer Dust, then wrapped in cling wrap and chucked into the fridge overnight.

Cooking: I placed the thicker end toward the right side of the grill thinking that’s the warmest end, and put the probe into that part of the flat. I’ve read where the probe should go where the point meets the flat, but to be honest, I don’t know where that is.

Set the temp to 225 and waited for the stall … which never came. Not where I expected it anyway.

Pulled it out at 165 IT, wrapped it in foil, and put it back in and waited for the IT to hit 203

The IT temp climbed steadily all the way to 198 where it stalled for about 2.5 hrs. I finally pulled it out when the IT wanted to linger at 201. I did not pull the probe out when I wrapped it; relying instead on pinching the foil around the probe. I wonder now if moisture didn’t force its way past the foil as it cooked.

Results: Good - pronounced smoke ring, very tender; you could cut it with a fork, great taste.

Not so good - Well done, kind of dry.

So, what would you brisket pros recommend I do differently so the next one is a little moister?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 87
I did my first brisket a bit ago and while it looked and tasted fantastic, it was … well, a little dry. It was a 4.75 lb Flat from Costco. It started out fresh but was frozen a couple of weeks by the time I got around to cooking it.

Prep: Rubbed with yellow mustard, coated liberally with Heffer Dust, then wrapped in cling wrap and chucked into the fridge overnight.

Cooking: I placed the thicker end toward the right side of the grill thinking that’s the warmest end, and put the probe into that part of the flat. I’ve read where the probe should go where the point meets the flat, but to be honest, I don’t know where that is.

Set the temp to 225 and waited for the stall … which never came. Not where I expected it anyway.

Pulled it out at 165 IT, wrapped it in foil, and put it back in and waited for the IT to hit 203

The IT temp climbed steadily all the way to 198 where it stalled for about 2.5 hrs. I finally pulled it out when the IT wanted to linger at 201. I did not pull the probe out when I wrapped it; relying instead on pinching the foil around the probe. I wonder now if moisture didn’t force its way past the foil as it cooked.

Results: Good - pronounced smoke ring, very tender; you could cut it with a fork, great taste.

Not so good - Well done, kind of dry.

So, what would you brisket pros recommend I do differently so the next one is a little moister?
Flats can be like this, I recommend to get the point cut for the brisket and generally it comes with the flat cut too.

Flats can be like this, I recommend to get the point cut for the brisket and generally it comes with the flat cut too.

the flats are going to be drier. The points have more internal fat.

you could always try injecting the flat.

I have no problem with the brisket being dry. I will either use some sauce or just enjoy the flavor as is and wash down with a beer.

I am a little neurotic about leaving my grill going while I sleep. So is there any way to do a brisket in 6 to 8 hours and still have it come out with a nice smoke ring and tender.

you could pull a all nighter watching movies while it is smoking or just get up early and plan on a very late dinner.

There is no need to worry about the grill running while sleeping. Everyone does it and I haven’t heard of any problems

Anyone here smoked a brisket without wrapping? Never done it in a pellet smoker...
Also, how long will the BFG go with the hopper full to the max (how many hours smoking?)

I did a brisket without wrapping last week. Turned out great. It was #20 before trimming and took 18 1/2 hours. Overnight at 225, then turned it up to 250 mid morning, then 275 early afternoon because it needed to get done. Here is a picture at the 12 hour mark.

Attachments

• 6BB5A133-E83B-4BC2-ABDE-F378777B1ABB.jpeg
    6BB5A133-E83B-4BC2-ABDE-F378777B1ABB.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 88
Anyone here smoked a brisket without wrapping? Never done it in a pellet smoker...
Also, how long will the BFG go with the hopper full to the max (how many hours smoking?)

the brisket I am showing is the first one I have ever wrapped. When I have done them before on a kamodo I never wrapped.

The wrap has nothing to do with the bark or smoke ring. It is the smoke and temp control that you get with the pellet grill that uses only wood instead of lump charcoal and wood chips. The wrap shortens the stall period.

best is to try both Just allow more time without wrapping. Keep a journal with the process you used for every cook. It helps estimate the time, what you did, and the results. Plan, execute, evaluate, and change to improve if needed. Write the process so if someone read it they would know exactly what to do.

The rule of thumb for pellet usage is 1 lb/hour. The 700 holds 40 lbs => +- 40 hours.

🎱 Ed

Last edited:
the brisket I am showing is the first one I have ever wrapped. When I have done them before on a kamodo I never wrapped.

The wrap has nothing to do with the bark or smoke ring. It is the smoke and temp control that you get with the pellet grill that uses only wood instead of lump charcoal and wood chips. The wrap shortens the stall period.

best is to try both Just allow more time without wrapping. Keep a journal with the process you used for every cook. It helps estimate the time, what you did, and the results. Plan, execute, evaluate, and change to improve if needed. Write the process so if someone read it they would know exactly what to do.

The rule of thumb for pellet usage is 1 lb/hour. The 700 holds 40 lbs => +- 40 hours.

🎱 Ed
very nice and great feedback!
you mentioned on pellet usage 1lb/hour... at what feed rate?

thanks again!

very nice and great feedback!
you mentioned on pellet usage 1lb/hour... at what feed rate?

thanks again!

i have not changed the speed rate setting from the factory. I think temp has more to do with Pellet burn rate. The higher the temp the more pellets/hour.

I always check the hopper to make sure there is enough in it.

🎱ED

i have not changed the speed rate setting from the factory. I think temp has more to do with Pellet burn rate. The higher the temp the more pellets/hour.

I always check the hopper to make sure there is enough in it.

🎱ED

I'm going to cook overnight for the first time in a pellet smoker, I guess just fill the hopper, set and forget!

Thanks

Overnight smoked this brisket for about 15 hrs, wrapped and finished cooking for 2 more hrs.
Very nice bark, pull and bend! Solid consistency!!

Cook at 225 all the way through, went up to 250 last two hrs after wrapped.

Attachments

• 20200816_184112.jpg
    20200816_184112.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • 20200817_110613.jpg
    20200817_110613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20200817_143800.jpg
    20200817_143800.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20200817_161449_019.jpg
    IMG_20200817_161449_019.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 74
  • VID_390990405_033912_075.mp4
    1.2 MB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back