First brisket on the RT-590

bluewolf

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
did my first brisket about a week ago. was a small 6 lb'er. I learned all about 'stalling'. geez. so much to learn when smoking. Took waaaaayy longer than I anticipated, but it did turn out quite tasty. Very much looking forward to doing another one and NOT freaking out when it stalls.

did my first brisket about a week ago. was a small 6 lb'er. I learned all about 'stalling'. geez. so much to learn when smoking. Took waaaaayy longer than I anticipated, but it did turn out quite tasty. Very much looking forward to doing another one and NOT freaking out when it stalls.
It's a learning process that even I'm still going through. But I feel brisket is one of the most rewarding smokes... it just tastes so good. :D

Did you wrap it in butcher paper at all ? My first 3 briskets didn't turn out as I had hoped. Can be frustrating and easy to throw in the towel. But keep at it, you'll find the right way to cook a juicy tender one and the reward will have you smiling for days lol. Its the most challenging to smoke imo but also the most fun because every brisket seems to cook slightly different.

The stall on any of the cooks will drive you crazy, best to start the cook way early and if finished before it's time to eat just put it in a warmed up cooler to maintain the temp and to let it rest.
I found the trick w/ the butcher paper is to make sure the meat is wrapped very tightly. I did a sloppy wrap on a pork butt and it took as long wrapped as it its mate on the grill took unwrapped.

I like the "pink paper" wrap way more than foil as it does not seem to bother the bark as much. IMHO

I found the trick w/ the butcher paper is to make sure the meat is wrapped very tightly. I did a sloppy wrap on a pork butt and it took as long wrapped as it its mate on the grill took unwrapped.

I like the "pink paper" wrap way more than foil as it does not seem to bother the bark as much. IMHO
One thing that helps if you take your meat put it on the butcher paper and spray some water all the way around the paper around the edge of the meat and the paper will form more tightly to the meat.

I'm new at this pellet grill thing. Just got my 590 a couple of weeks ago and have done some ribs, steaks and chicken thighs. Those were all pretty simple. I want to try a pork butt or brisket but don't understand the stall part that everyone is talking about. Most seem to take 2 hours a pound and wait for a certain internal temp. Would someone explain the best way to go about this. Thank you.

When starting out with brisket, I suggest going to a local butcher and seeing if you can get a Prime point (usually 8-9 pounder) and put it on at 225 for about 60-75 minutes per pound. Add a small “pound cake” water pan to your set up and let it ride for the full cook. My last one went from midnight til 10:30 am, pulled off into a towel lined styrofoam cooler for 90 minutes and served around 1 pm. I’ve got a 590 and have my temp chart at 5 min intervals and that baby didn’t fluctuate beyond 2 degrees over 11 hours at 41 degree external temp. I used a homemade rub with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, onion powder, cayenne, etc. I like more than just S&P but to each his own. Remove Deckle fat but light trim on other areas. If you think you are taking to much off you probably are.

Attachments

• 12E26104-5497-4F06-9697-81CD132E0CCB.jpeg
    12E26104-5497-4F06-9697-81CD132E0CCB.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
When starting out with brisket, I suggest going to a local butcher and seeing if you can get a Prime point (usually 8-9 pounder) and put it on at 225 for about 60-75 minutes per pound. Add a small “pound cake” water pan to your set up and let it ride for the full cook. My last one went from midnight til 10:30 am, pulled off into a towel lined styrofoam cooler for 90 minutes and served around 1 pm. I’ve got a 590 and have my temp chart at 5 min intervals and that baby didn’t fluctuate beyond 2 degrees over 11 hours at 41 degree external temp. I used a homemade rub with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, onion powder, cayenne, etc. I like more than just S&P but to each his own. Remove Deckle fat but light trim on other areas. If you think you are taking to much off you probably are.
Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back