First Brisket Cook Questions

Badgerbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm cooking my first brisket this weekend for my family Christmas (lunch on Sunday). My general plan is to start it Saturday afternoon, wrap the brisket before I go to bed, and then pull it first thing in the morning. After I pull the brisket off, I have 2 racks of ribs to do, so I want those on by 7am. I am going to wrap in butcher paper w/ beef tallow like Mad Scientist BBQ.

So here are my questions:
1- For a 19lb pre-trim brisket, how long should I plan to get it to 165 to wrap and from wrapping to complete? I figure that if it isn't coming to temp after wrapping in butcher paper, I can add a foil boat and speed it up some.
2- Given the size, should I trim the ridge part of the point ((not sure what the actual name of that part is) and just smoke that separately for some burnt-ends?

Thank you!

What temperature are you going to smoke at?

Assuming you'll trim the brisket and take off 1-2 lbs, at 225-250 degrees you're looking at about at 1 -1.5 hours per pound. 17 x 1.5 = 25.5 hours.

So estimated cook time should be 17 to 26 hours.

Having said that, use temp probes to monitor the temp , wrapping at 165 is fine, and shoot for 203 to pull it.

There are no absolutes, but going by temps always gives the best results. A big hunk of meat like that will hold a long time if you FTC it (Foil, Towel,Cooler).

Here's a good article on how Aaron Franklin does his.

https://bbqonmain.com/aaron-franklin-barbecue-brisket-recipe/

Although I love burnt ends maybe more than sliced brisket, if I'm serving brisket as a main course, I want to leave the point attached for those that want more moist/fatty meat. Especially if it's not a well marbled Prime brisket. I run brisket and ribs at 275F like Harry Soo, so my times are likely different than you're using if you're starting in the afternoon of the prior day. I've had better luck with the higher temps for moisture on the RT.

I was referring to trimming the ridge of meat on the top of the point. I'm not sure it is enough meat to really make much of a difference in timing.

I was planning to cook at 250, and I used Christmas dinner as an excuse to buy a smoke tube. My hope is to pull it off around 5-6am and wrap until late lunch at 1pm.

I grabbed the last prime brisket at Costco when I was there, and the timing has me a bit freaked now. I think I will throw it on about noon on Saturday and then do a ½ foil wrap when I put wrap in butcher paper. Jeremy Yoder said it cut his post wrap cook to 2 hrs from 6 hrs (although he is using and offset).

Worst case scenario is I am up in the middle of the night to pull the brisket to FTC. But, it will save me having the cook go way too long.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back