RT-1250 FIRMWARE UPDATE- PLEASE HELP

kmeyer6051

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-1250
I purchased the RT-1250 Model and started to use it in Feb 2022. The first few cooks were AMAZING and simple. No Issues. Then the firmware updates came and now and all bets are off. Highly disappointed, but customer service so far has been a huge help.

A few months back I received the notice to Update my firmware and that's when the troubles started. I use an iPhone 10 (yes it's all updated and even tried rebooting it numerous times). I made sure the WI-FI was connected properly as well. Still NO luck with the update despite calling the service department and spending quite some time on the phone with them.

I was issued a NEW control unit (sent WITHOUT the firmware update). I installed it which was no easy feat, given the location of some of the nuts/bolts but I got it done. WI-FI was connected properly and still NO luck with the firmware update despite phone calls with customer service.

I decided to use my new smoker without the phone as a controller and just use the control panel. Despite my efforts, I was NOT able to regulate the temps at all. I burned/ruined food and it got worse (internal fire) from there. Yes, there were more phone calls to RecTeq, and the decision was made to send me ANOTHER new control panel WITH the update already installed. I am going to install it asap because I want to use the smoker that I paid dearly for.

I have my fingers crossed that the new install will eliminate all these issues but now I'm not sure I made a good purchase.

Please let me know if you've had similar issues. I've searched for issues with firmware but did not see anyone with my issue.

Please let me know if you've had similar issues. I've searched for issues with firmware but did not see anyone with my issue.
Sorry, can’t help here. As far as I know, the updatable firmware is only available with the latest models. In other words, don’t think that people are ignoring you here because you get little feedback on this. It’s just because those of us with older grills don’t have the option to update firmware.

I think @Greg Jones is right; the firmware update thing is pretty much a mystery for most of us. In fact, the RT app is pretty much a mystery as well. Apparently, it works for some folks, but not for others. I’m in the “others” group and have pretty much given up even trying to use it.

As long as I can manually turn my grill on and off, and set the temperature, I consider that good. I use my ThermoWorks Signals for monitoring grill and meat temperatures, and it works very well.

I doubt this helps, but I am not having issues with my 1250. My iOS app is version 2.2.8, Build 992 with firmware 2.1.2 loaded.

I purchased the RT-1250 Model and started to use it in Feb 2022. The first few cooks were AMAZING and simple. No Issues. Then the firmware updates came and now and all bets are off. Highly disappointed, but customer service so far has been a huge help.

A few months back I received the notice to Update my firmware and that's when the troubles started. I use an iPhone 10 (yes it's all updated and even tried rebooting it numerous times). I made sure the WI-FI was connected properly as well. Still NO luck with the update despite calling the service department and spending quite some time on the phone with them.

I was issued a NEW control unit (sent WITHOUT the firmware update). I installed it which was no easy feat, given the location of some of the nuts/bolts but I got it done. WI-FI was connected properly and still NO luck with the firmware update despite phone calls with customer service.

I decided to use my new smoker without the phone as a controller and just use the control panel. Despite my efforts, I was NOT able to regulate the temps at all. I burned/ruined food and it got worse (internal fire) from there. Yes, there were more phone calls to RecTeq, and the decision was made to send me ANOTHER new control panel WITH the update already installed. I am going to install it asap because I want to use the smoker that I paid dearly for.

I have my fingers crossed that the new install will eliminate all these issues but now I'm not sure I made a good purchase.

With all the issues that you've having. You should be dealing directly with RT. Since the grill has never been a 100% who knows if it's wired properly or other possible defects.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Hopefully they will be resolved in short order. I am still trying to sort out a couple of items. Are your problems isolated to the update exclusively or the update and proper function of the App, or is it just getting the App to work on an iPhone X. I have the X and it works most of the time with the old firmware. Some did have problems with the dual channel function if/when the controller is on one band and the phone is on the other (if you have your router’s isolation security functions enabled). I would recommend you put your phone’s wifi on the same segment (i.e., 2.x or 5.x band individually). If that does not work, or if you are using a Mesh network with auto band switching and the “quick connect“ mode enabled, try turning off the 5.x band, connect the RT1250, then connect your phone to the same network and give it a try. If you have a Ubiquiti Unifi with access points, make sure you change your password to WPA2-PSK or below as WPA3, AES and TKIP privacy settings may be a problem. You may also be splitting the dual band functions and traffic isn’t playing nice in the sandbox. If this is true, try isolating the 5.x band which will allow for faster transfer rates at a potential compromise of range. If you are on the 5.x band fringes it may look connected but the upload rates may be greatly reduced causing issues. One thing I remember from my installation was to try to set it up as close to your router as physically possible, once complete, move it to the location of use and see if you still have a decent connection. Let us know how you get it resolved, I’m curious.

Sorry, can’t help here. As far as I know, the updatable firmware is only available with the latest models. In other words, don’t think that people are ignoring you here because you get little feedback on this. It’s just because those of us with older grills don’t have the option to update firmware.
Greg, you may or may not know, but would you care to guess as to what (when) constitutes the "latest model" ?

I received my Bull in February, so I assume that qualifies as "newer" (maybe not latest). It's all kind of academic though, my wifi seems to be working fine. Mostly curious, not really inclined to upgrade unless it's absolutely necessary.

Greg, you may or may not know, but would you care to guess as to what (when) constitutes the "latest model" ?

I received my Bull in February, so I assume that qualifies as "newer" (maybe not latest). It's all kind of academic though, my wifi seems to be working fine. Mostly curious, not really inclined to upgrade unless it's absolutely necessary.
I do not know when the change occurred but you can tell what controller you have in the recteq app. Go into the settings for your Bull and it will tell you if you have a single- or dual-band controller. I would think that with the newer controllers there might also be an option to check for a firmware update, but that’s just speculation on my part.

I would think that with the newer controllers there might also be an option to check for a firmware update, but that’s just speculation on my part.
Here's where that is:
1657212124634.png

1657212144785.png

Just checked, mine’s a single band, so it’s the older one. As I said before, I’ve had it for about 6 months…..point of general reference.

I’m not having any issues, so I’m going to let sleeping dogs lie.
Strange... I got my 1250 back in December and have the dual band.

Strange... I got my 1250 back in December and have the dual band.
That's called "Threadcutter luck" :ROFLMAO:

It could very well be that when they were rolling out the new controller, they decided to start with the upper/top end grilles first. With the shortage of processors and other electronic components, they may not have had enough finished controllers to cover everything. If I were in their position and that is what I was up against, I would choose to do the same thing.

Like I said earlier, everything is working fine so far, so I'm not going to worry about it.

I suppose, knowing what I now know, if I were in the market for a new grille, I'd give more consideration to other manufacturers. While the wifi is not a problem, receiving the "old controller" as well as the ~ $200.00 price drop after buying mine, there's a bit of motivation to look around. I'm not saying that their business practices are/were shady, or that I'm actually "dissatisfied" with the product, but I don't have the feeling of a totally "5 star buying experience".

Last edited:
That's called "Threadcutter luck" :ROFLMAO:

It could very well be that when they were rolling out the new controller, they decided to start with the upper/top end grilles first. With the shortage of processors and other electronic components, they may not have had enough finished controllers to cover everything. If I were in their position and that is what I was up against, I would choose to do the same thing.

Like I said earlier, everything is working fine so far, so I'm not going to worry about it.

I suppose, knowing what I now know, if I were in the market for a new grille, I'd give more consideration to other manufacturers. While the wifi is not a problem, receiving the "old controller" as well as the ~ $200.00 price drop after buying mine, there's a bit of motivation to look around. I'm not saying that their business practices are/were shady, or that I'm actually "dissatisfied" with the product, but I don't have the feeling of a totally "5 star buying experience".
That is very odd. I ordered the 1250 on 8/5/2021, the day that it was first available to order, and I have the dual band controller. To my knowledge, every single 1250 has the dual band controller and it has never been offered with a single band, old style controller.

Edit: I noticed in some earlier posts that you say your "bull". Are you sure that you have a 1250 and not a 700? The 700 is called the bull and I believe still has the single band controller while the 1250 doesn't have a name other than 1250 but it has the dual band controller.

Last edited:
That is very odd. I ordered the 1250 on 8/5/2021, the day that it was first available to order, and I have the dual band controller. To my knowledge, every single 1250 has the dual band controller and it has never been offered with a single band, old style controller.

Edit: I noticed in some earlier posts that you say your "bull". Are you sure that you have a 1250 and not a 700? The 700 is called the bull and I believe still has the single band controller while the 1250 doesn't have a name other than 1250 but it has the dual band controller.
It is very possible I screwed that up. Yes, correct, I have the 700/Bull.

I was under the impression that all controllers (regardless of grille model) were going to be upgraded.

It is very possible I screwed that up. Yes, correct, I have the 700/Bull.

I was under the impression that all controllers were going to be upgraded.
This is in the 1250 section and not in the Bull RT-700 section where it should have been. So I assumed you had a 1250. I believe the 700 just recently got the updated dual band controller and other items a few weeks ago. I cannot confirm that but that is what I have heard. If you have had your 700 since February there is a 99.9% chance it's a single band. I don't think the single band firmware can be updated but I'm not sure as all I have is the dual band 1250.

This is in the 1250 section and not in the Bull RT-700 section where it should have been. So I assumed you had a 1250. I believe the 700 just recently got the updated dual band controller and other items a few weeks ago. I cannot confirm that but that is what I have heard. If you have had your 700 since February there is a 99.9% chance it's a single band. I don't think the single band firmware can be updated but I'm not sure as all I have is the dual band 1250.
Aww hell, I didn't even notice the "1250 section", my bad. :rolleyes: I think I just saw the OP title (and that's all) and I came in from the "New Posts" page.

Yeah, FWIW, my 700/Bull from February has the old firmware.

Aww hell, I didn't even notice the "1250 section", my bad. :rolleyes: I think I just saw the OP title (and that's all) and I came in from the "New Posts" page.

My Bull is two years old with the older controller. It has been rock solid, so I'm happy to let it keep chugging along.

No worries, I do the same thing-I always visit here in with the ‘what’s new’ option. I then look at what grills the user has listed in their profile before I comment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back