Finally Going to Smoke My First Brisket...sort of....

Clm65

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
After seeing some awesome brisket threads on this forum, I decided it was time for me to give it a shot. I’ve been checking my local supermarket periodically, but they haven‘t had any during my visits for the past couple of weeks. My wife was in Sams Club today (about an hour away) and told me she was bringing home a brisket. I was stoked. When she got home I unloaded the cooler and found a 4.6 pound brisket flat. Hmmm. I guess that is better than nothing. If nothing else, it should be good practice. Anything special I should know about smoking a small brisket flat?

just less seasoning and a little less time. thats about it. flat I think is a bit leaner than the point.

good luck!

I just did one last week for the 1st time. Took longer then I figured. It was ticker down the middle so I cut off one side that was done early so we could eat. Overall it came out great. Here's my notes if they'll help any. Next time I'll start earlier. I though 8 hrs cook time would work, took 11.

8/19/20 5.5lb flat after trimming, Costco Prime.
Started grill 225 @ 07:45. Used salt and pepper @ 8am, inject with beef broth at 7am. Used a small pan of water in the grill.
Smoked for 3 hrs then start spritzing 50/50 water and AJ every 30 min.
At 11am, turned up to 240. At 13:30 wrapped in butchers paper @ 160ish, bumped up to 250 @ 14:00.
Cut off one side for dinner at 17:15, the thinner 2 sides were done as opposed to the thicker center. Left the center on the grill till it got to 205, one corner still showed 199 and was not butter soft.
Left the whole thing on for another 30 minutes (7 pm) then removed.
Letting it sit for an hour before cutting it up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back