Feedback on using Traeger Gourmet Blend 33 lbs from Costco??

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi gang!
After using up all my Rec Tec pellets that came with my RT-590 I thought I would try the Traeger Gourmet blend 33 lb from Costco for under $20. I'm on my third bag now and they seem fine. Since I'm pretty new to all this I do not have much to compare to other than the Rec Tec pellets that seemed good too.
Any of you out there try these too from Costco??
Thanks in advance!!

George in Tucson, AZ

I have not tried an Traeger Pellets yet. I have used 180lbs of the Rec Tec pellets and they have been good. i have also used PitBoss Pellets from Walmart ($16 for 40lbs) and some Pellets from Sam's ($15 for 40lbs) that have worked well. Many like lumberjack, but I have not found them local so far and I am too cheap to pay $40+ for 40lbs. There are other Pellets that are good. I think most of the named brands will burn well, but many have very strong opinions on what they use. I use a blend mostly and almost always like my results.

The traeger pellets will burn fine, and if cooking at higher temps will probably be no different than any others, but in my experience they do not produce the same amount of noticeable smoke flavor as some of the others like cookin pellets or bear mountain. I buy them sometimes because they are the easiest to find around here.

There is/was a video review of pellets on here somewhere. The thing that stuck out to me is Treager pellets are cheaper wood and they use cherry, oak, hickory.... oils. Out of all the pellets, Treager was at the bottom of the list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back