Favorite smoked wing method?

What is your favorite way to make smoked wings? I've read about smoking then broiling or smoking low and then cranking up to 400 last 15 min?
Faulty maintenance
1656247631175.png

I usually cook my wings on the 700 at around 350 or so then I can sear them off on my blackstone flat top and mix in a sauce as well. But have done them solely on the 700 until IT of 175-180.
Family loves them both ways.

I hate to say it, but I like my chicken wings fried, but I do smoke them for maybe 30 - 45 minutes at 180 before frying. It adds a nice smoke taste and golden color. Here's a "before" photo my last chicken wing cook.

IMG_0816.jpeg

What is your favorite way to make smoked wings? I've read about smoking then broiling or smoking low and then cranking up to 400 last 15 min?

I’ve tried them several different ways over the past month or so. I can say with certainty the ones yesterday were the all around best. And when I say all around best, I am talking from the meat itself being juicy and tender and the skin being crispy, as well as having a slight smoke flavor.

No brining of the wings. I’ve done that several times before anywhere from three hours to six hours and there was no real difference. They always tasted real salty especially down near the bone.

So yesterday’s wings were patted dry with paper towels, a light coating of avocado oil and a coarse rub. Not fine, but coarse. Smoker was on 250° with a smoke tube loaded with 100% hickory pellets. Smoking with 100% hickory pellets as well. Once that 1 hour was up, the internal temperature ranged from 150 to 160.

Increased the smoker temperature to 400° and let them go for 15 to 20 minutes. Internal temperatures ranged from 195 to 205.

Took them off and put them in a bowl and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Then tossed them in Frank’s mild buffalo sauce and dipped them in homemade ranch. They were whole wings not split. When I pulled the wings apart they came apart as easily as meat comes off the bone when you do ribs. They were that tender but most importantly, the skin was crispy. I will not do wings any other way now. Many ways to do them but I can tell you, this one works.

Attachments

• 9A911FCD-C300-4972-A417-FD47D7C87E80.jpeg
    9A911FCD-C300-4972-A417-FD47D7C87E80.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 973B8E49-8BB9-4942-8894-38FF4148B8E7.jpeg
    973B8E49-8BB9-4942-8894-38FF4148B8E7.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 107
  • EF2D76DF-B958-498B-A4EB-00C85970F725.jpeg
    EF2D76DF-B958-498B-A4EB-00C85970F725.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 104
I use S&P, smoke em @ 225 for 30 min, then on the Weber kettle indirect for maybe 30 min, turning every 7 min., or till the skin looks cooked. Once cooked evenly I move roughly 6 at a time to the high heat direct side of the Weber, turning pretty much constantly till the skins look fairly dried out and slightly crispy, only takes seconds to burn up so you need to keep an eye on them. Move the 6 back to indirect and do the next 6 or so. Takes about 10 min for wings for 2, maybe 20 pieces.

To us they are as good as the deep fried.

I start my Bullseye with it set at 400 and go inside and prep the wings. Cold 14 pack of whole wings. Trim. Rinse. Pat mostly dry. Rub with Asian Persuasion, 4 Letter or Competition (I ended up with two rub and sauce packs so I've got too much surplus). When grill hits 400 I back the temp down to 225 and load the wings. I stick a probe in the largest wing and smoke until internal is over 175. I turn up the Bullseye to 450 and pull them off when the tips of the scratchers start to blacken. No flipping. We're not big sauce fans so we don't toss in sauce, just keep bottles of Bachan's GF BBQ and Texas Pete's in the fridge. Wings are usually 190 to 200 when they get pulled. They get to rest for the walk across the driveway to the table. They are never around long enough to get cold.

I’ve tried them several different ways over the past month or so. I can say with certainty the ones yesterday were the all around best. And when I say all around best, I am talking from the meat itself being juicy and tender and the skin being crispy, as well as having a slight smoke flavor.

No brining of the wings. I’ve done that several times before anywhere from three hours to six hours and there was no real difference. They always tasted real salty especially down near the bone.

So yesterday’s wings were patted dry with paper towels, a light coating of avocado oil and a coarse rub. Not fine, but coarse. Smoker was on 250° with a smoke tube loaded with 100% hickory pellets. Smoking with 100% hickory pellets as well. Once that 1 hour was up, the internal temperature ranged from 150 to 160.

Increased the smoker temperature to 400° and let them go for 15 to 20 minutes. Internal temperatures ranged from 195 to 205.

Took them off and put them in a bowl and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Then tossed them in Frank’s mild buffalo sauce and dipped them in homemade ranch. They were whole wings not split. When I pulled the wings apart they came apart as easily as meat comes off the bone when you do ribs. They were that tender but most importantly, the skin was crispy. I will not do wings any other way now. Many ways to do them but I can tell you, this one works.
@nygiant and @padlin00 i tried the method of cook noted by @nygiant for the cook and a group of wings and I tried the @padlin00 S&P which is a standard for me on a grill. The eat will tell if I pulled it off but I was on a Bull. Tossed the S&P in Buffalo (Franks) and I am planning to just serve the coarse rubbed as is, well with some franks on the side🤣 plus home made blue cheese.

Attachments

• E647DD75-B1F7-4F98-8A3B-D9DDDEDD742D.jpeg
    E647DD75-B1F7-4F98-8A3B-D9DDDEDD742D.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 9A0898EF-DD34-48BB-AE6B-8E703A733317.jpeg
    9A0898EF-DD34-48BB-AE6B-8E703A733317.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 79
@nygiant and @padlin00 i tried the method of cook noted by @nygiant for the cook and a group of wings and I tried the @padlin00 S&P which is a standard for me on a grill. The eat will tell if I pulled it off but I was on a Bull. Tossed the S&P in Buffalo (Franks) and I am planning to just serve the coarse rubbed as is, well with some franks on the side🤣 plus home made blue cheese.
So…….what was the verdict?

I hate to say it, but I like my chicken wings fried, but I do smoke them for maybe 30 - 45 minutes at 180 before frying. It adds a nice smoke taste and golden color. Here's a "before" photo my last chicken wing cook.

View attachment 16501
I absolutely agree with you. I've tried many different smoking recipes and methods, and nothing beats deep fried.

So…….what was the verdict?
The skin was not as crisp as I had wanted but I had someone (back seat driver) pressing me to pull them. I think had I waited 15 mins. Longer I would have made it. My wife loved them and was talking about it the next day and I agree they were very good. The smokiness just add so much. 😀

I absolutely agree with you. I've tried many different smoking recipes and methods, and nothing beats deep fried.
I don’t have a fryer but I do have several grills and a Convection oven I could give a whirl, albeit the back seat driver. 🤣

I did first attempt last week. Cut up full wings. Patted dry. Left to air dry in fridge overnight. Before going on the 1070 @ 210. I did light Avacado oil, salt, pepper. After 2 hrs, they looked great. Removed from grill I cranked up to 410 to crisp. I got sidetracked so ended up being about 15min. A few were slightly overdone. Next time will reduce the time and temps slightly. Sauced/tossed with Montgomery Inn bbq and Frank's. Next time will add some butter and maybe honey.

PXL_20220704_003421640.jpg

PXL_20220704_011920391.MP.jpg

We like our wings dry versus wet and well done with crsip skins. I dry them well with paper towels. Toss them in whatever rub I am going to use and put them on a hot cooker at about 400 for about 10 minutes then turn it down to 375. I get crispy skins and fall off the bone meat. I can't stand stringy, chewy wings and I like to nibble on the wing tips so they have to have crunch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back