Favorite Pellet Brand / Flavor

zebra

Hello all, new to the pellet grill world and was wondering what is your favorite pellet brand, and favorite pellet flavor/wood type.
I know wood type differs pending on type of meat you are cooking or smoking.

There's a few threads on this subject, but most folks seem to like Lumberjack, Bear Mountain, and the Rec Teqs pellets the best.

I use the Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend myself....it goes with everything.

Was just wondering the same thing. I plan to experiment with different ones. A block away is a Traeger dealer who stocks traeger along with jack daniels (sorry, the pellets, not the whisky) and others. I just got some mesquite today. I haven’t figured how exactly to do a side by side comparison with only one grill.

Shop vac, Buckethead vac (home Depot), etc is about the only quick way to empty the hopper.

To be honest I think whatever brand you can get at a reasonable price ($.50 / lb or less). They all burn a little different but I really don't notice all huge difference. Of course maybe I don't have a gourmet taste pallet.
I can't tell a difference either, you're not alone.

I've tried several and can't tell the difference. I do like Smokin' Pellets and Lumberjack hickory. Lumber Jack has less dust. I quit experimenting and stick to these...They work for me

Well I took advantage of the sale on the pellet bundle when I ordered my RT-1250. So I will receive a hundred pounds of Recteq pellets if my order ever gets delivered. I placed my order on the 15th and the tracking number says it is in transit so I hope to get it tomorrow, but I will probably use up the 100 pounds before I start experimenting with other brands. I am looking to buy a good smoke tube because I believe that is going to be the biggest factor in the flavor from smoke.

Well I took advantage of the sale on the pellet bundle when I ordered my RT-1250. So I will receive a hundred pounds of Recteq pellets if my order ever gets delivered. I placed my order on the 15th and the tracking number says it is in transit so I hope to get it tomorrow, but I will probably use up the 100 pounds before I start experimenting with other brands. I am looking to buy a good smoke tube because I believe that is going to be the biggest factor in the flavor from smoke.
If you are like some and use it a lot, especially on long cooks, that 100lbs won't last that long. Depending on your location, BF is coming up and there can be some great deals. Last year I know 1 place and maybe 2 had the Bear Mountain pellets for around $4 for the 20lb bags.
Depending on how much smoke flavor you are wanting, the tube may not be enough. It isn't for me. For brisket and pork butts I cook them for around 7 to 10hrs on my stick burner and then move them to the RT. It is the only way to get the smoke flavor I truly want.

I have always liked cherry and pecan. Lumberjack is good and easy to pick up at local rural king. I wish someone would make pellets out of ash

Have you tried LJ supreme blend? It has maple, hickory, & cherry mix.

If you are like some and use it a lot, especially on long cooks, that 100lbs won't last that long. Depending on your location, BF is coming up and there can be some great deals. Last year I know 1 place and maybe 2 had the Bear Mountain pellets for around $4 for the 20lb bags.
Depending on how much smoke flavor you are wanting, the tube may not be enough. It isn't for me. For brisket and pork butts I cook them for around 7 to 10hrs on my stick burner and then move them to the RT. It is the only way to get the smoke flavor I truly want.
So am expecting to much from my high end pellet smoker if I expect it to give me a great smoke ring and smoked flavor?

So am expecting to much from my high end pellet smoker if I expect it to give me a great smoke ring and smoked flavor?
Not at all. It may just be a matter of personal taste. I've been very happy with my results. On longer cooks at lower temperatures never a problem. For shorter cooks and higher temperatures, adding a cheap smoke tube can help.

Well I’m going to order a 12” smoke tube just to be sure. The good thing about that is I will be able to add other types of pellet. I have always been partial to mesquite and apple.

As others stated, it is personal taste. I've gone 18+ hours on the pellet smoker for a brisket and it just wasn't enough smoke flavor for me. I'm usually using mesquite flavored pellets. I also always take some of the left overs to a couple of my coworkers. When I switched from my stick burner to only using the pellet smoker they noticed a difference too. They actually asked if I had done something different because it didn't have the really strong smoke flavor they were used to getting from my leftovers.

Okay pellet people, this should answer your questions:

Pellets
Good video. I follow Jeremy on YouTube and I really like his approach to smoking in a stick burner. The pellet video had less ‘science’ behind it than most of his videos, but still good stuff. I’ll agree with his conclusions on favorites-Lumber Jack and Cookin’ pellets, which most everyone with an opinion think make the recteq pellets. I’ve never used Traeger pellets because early on I heard the same complaints that Jeremy mentioned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back