Favorite bbq sauce?

geneseohawk

Just curious what your go to bbq sauce is? I like sauce on all my bbq. I know some don't but I'm a Midwest KC type of guy. Thanks!

My tastes have changed over the years, so there have been quite a few “go-to’s” as I continue to expand my horizons. That being said, my cousin turned me on to a brand called Sticky Pig out of central Missouri a few years back. I almost always have a jar or two of that on hand, when I can find it on a store shelf. More recently I’ve been on a Blues Hog kick. It doesn’t get much more local for me. They have several varieties and I’ve tried them all. The original is great, but they also make a raspberry chipotle sauce that is killer.

At the Recteq Academy in April, Blues Hog was pretty much used by all of the teams. I think most used a blend of 2/3 Original, and 1/3 Competition, if memory serves me correctly. I also like Sweet Baby Ray's , and if you like the taste of apple butter, with a little heat, try Kosmo Q's sauce.

SBR's Original for us, paint ribs before last hour. Pulled pork gets a Carolina vinegar based sauce, sometimes a dash of SBR's, sometimes not. I usually water down the SBR's a little, it's too thick for my liking.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt

For a commercial product, Sweet Baby Ray’s is pretty hard to beat. That said, I prefer to make my own. It is somewhat similar to SBR, but has a bit more “bite.” I won’t post the recipe, but one of the main ingredients is puréed Hatch Chiles from New Mexico.

Just curious what your go to bbq sauce is? I like sauce on all my bbq. I know some don't but I'm a Midwest KC type of guy. Thanks!
SBR's is my go-to, but often will thin it with apple cider vinegar for basting.

BTW, neighbor... I lived in Davenport until 2-years ago. I know Geneseo quite well.

SBR's is my go-to, but often will thin it with apple cider vinegar for basting.

BTW, neighbor... I lived in Davenport until 2-years ago. I know Geneseo quite well.
I lived there for 11 years and know Geneseo well, too! Now I’m Minnesota’s problem 😁.

Last edited:
SBR cut with ACV with a bit of cayenne is our go-to. I Made meathead's KC masterpiece recipe, and it was the best homemade I'd had. I keep a bottle of it in the fridge.
I like Paducah, KY style sauce (Western Kentucky) on pulled pork, but no one else in my house does, so I don't make it very often. if you like spicy and vinegar - that's one to try.

Any idea how the SBR's wing sauce compares to something like Franks Redhot?
According to my boys, it's great. They prefer homemade, but when that isn't happening, SBR wing sauce goes on their sandwiches, pizza, tots, etc.
Homemade for us is butter, crystal hot sauce, O&G powders and worchestershire. Nothing against Franks, but Crystal is our go-to.

Dale's (Birmingham, Alabama)since the 1940's. Not overpowering and is best with a good rub... very versatile and consistently reliable.
Joel

I make my own. Ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, hot sauce, cayenne, smoke paprika, black pepper, Worcestershire, and oregano.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back