Fat side up with large shelf?

megafatz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've always cooked my briskets fat side down on the main shelf to protect the meat from drying out. I'm considering getting the large shelf to elevate my brisket during the cook but am worried that 4 inches clearance really isn't enough to escape the heat of the drip pan.

Anyone with experience cooking fat side up briskets in your bull with either the large or small shelf? What was your experience and how did it turn out?

Thanks!

I've always cooked my briskets fat side down on the main shelf to protect the meat from drying out. I'm considering getting the large shelf to elevate my brisket during the cook but am worried that 4 inches clearance really isn't enough to escape the heat of the drip pan.

Anyone with experience cooking fat side up briskets in your bull with either the large or small shelf? What was your experience and how did it turn out?

Thanks!
Fat side up is the rule, without exception!

4" is the right clearance for a nice big drip pan. Catch the renderings, and deflect the heat a little more.

Yeah... This isn't a fat side up/down thread. I'm specifically looking for tips on cooking fat side up... I'm just worried I'll be too close to the drip tray and will nuke the bottom.

I like the drip pan idea. I've cooked plenty fat side down directly on the bottom grate... Just trying to mix things up.

I used to always do fat side up but with the pellet world, I have switched to fat side down as reasons stated above. But I do believe the answer is different at least should be debated differently. I would think on a rack fat side up would be better b/c the way the smoke travels and I think you will get more smoke contact with the bottom of the brisket compared to the top whereas if you have a brisket just on the grates(not elevated), then fat side down is better to protect the meat from the heat source and also allow more smoke contact with the meat on top b/c again, the way the smoke travels. My thoughts.

Thanks kstone. I’m going to try fat side up on the rack. I’ll use a smoke daddy heavy D diffuser for the 1st few hours at 200-225 to really pile on the smoke/bark, then run at 225 until ~175 internal when I’ll foil boat to completion. I plan on wrapping in butcher and resting overnight in an oven at ~160. Fingers crossed for barky goodness. I’ll report back when done.

If you have ever had to try to peel the fat off of the small or large shelf, you will never do fat side down again. It makes quite the mess as the meat starts to break down and render. Considering the Bull is really a huge convection oven, technically it shouldn’t matter which way you put it. I just hate the mess.

Last edited:
Perfect, thanks. I’m curious why there was so much bark loss. I might add rub 24 hours before to draw out water so there’s less “sweating” and greater bark formation.n this is what Wilson’s bbq does on YouTube.
If you are wrapping(butcher paper), don't wrap based off temp aka 165, wrap based off bark. That's what I do. It varies from brisket to brisket but sometimes I don't wrap till past 180 if I don't like how the bark looks. I usually start the temp low (180 or 225) overnight and then turn up to 250 when I wake up. 250 helps stiffen up the bark.

We cooked our last Brisket Fat up, Middle Shelf
Came out GREAT:
1665519377739.png

1665519438762.png

1665519473027.png

1665519492893.png

Outstanding cook. I see you separated the point from the flat. Some people have mentioned mixed results doing so. I have yet to try it.

I had the weirdest thing happen on my last brisket over the weekend. Essentially zero smoke ring. It still tasted great and was perfectly tender and juicy. I didn't do anything different than all of my other brisket cooks.

Looks like you nailed it. That fat side up never lets me down and it makes the clean up a lot easier. Congrats.

Outstanding cook. I see you separated the point from the flat. Some people have mentioned mixed results doing so. I have yet to try it.

Thank You
Yeah, we've done this since day one, it's always worked well
We don't like that large strip of Fat between the Two Muscles
I trim the Point off, and leave all the Fat on the Flat
Then trim the Flat to the usual 1/4" Fat Cap
We have had a couple Points that weren't all that great
A lot of internal Fat strips (Great for Stew or Chili though)

I had the weirdest thing happen on my last brisket over the weekend. Essentially zero smoke ring. It still tasted great and was perfectly tender and juicy. I didn't do anything different than all of my other brisket cooks.

Never seen that personally :cautious:
I guess sometimes the Meat just doesn't want to take the Smoke
From what I've heard, the colder the Meat, when it goes on, the better

From what I've heard, the colder the Meat, when it goes on, the better
Yeah, often times the IT when I first put the brisket on it's 32 - 34. This one was like 38. I wouldn't think a handful of degrees would make much difference. Maybe I got a little zealous with rub this time.

I'm going to try separating the point and flat next time, but I'm still enjoying leftovers at the moment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back