Fat cap up or down and why?

Cap Down. but this is a highly debated topic. I believe the "fat bastes the meat" with fat up is a myth. fat down protects the meat from the heat underneath

In a stick burner, you want the fat cap facing the source of the heat to help protect it. As @Mastertech59 mentioned, that’s really not a concern in a pellet grill. There are other things to consider, just the same.

You didn’t mention what you are cooking. On a brisket, fat side down. The lean side is the presentation side and I don’t want to see any grate marks or grid marks from a cooling rack. Fat side down also gives you a chance that the fat dripping on a hot drip pan may add some flavor. It’s a myth that fat cap up will somehow melt into the meat. What can happen is on a cut of meat that has a heavy does of rub, like a pork butt, the melting fat can put runs into your rub. So I suppose I pretty much stick with fat cap down, regardless of what I’m cooking.

Edited to add @sandyut posted before I hit the submit button, but I’ll leave what I wrote as-is.

I like the fat cap down, not for heat reasons but I can spritz or season the meat, not the fat.

If you are talking Pork Butt then I do both. Was doing just cap down but it keeps getting stuck to the grates so I started flipping it half way to done, then again half way again.

The way these grills cook is by convection so it really doesn't matter. I try to trim as much fat off as possible.
This has been my method on pork shoulders lately. Easy when time to pull the pork.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back