EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED

I have had the Recteq RT2500 for just about a month and have had multiple issues with back burning. I have cleaned this unit very thoroughly many times and have changed pellets using 3 different brands including the ones Recteq sends in their bundles. I have made sure to follow every instruction to the letter, have talked with customer service a couple of times, and after another back burn last night, I don't even get a call back today after leaving them a message.
By no means am I a rookie to pellet grills or smokers. I have had plenty over the years and haven't had any issues other than wanting to upgrade to bigger and better.
This thing back burns to the point of catching the hopper on fire twice. It is at the point where I am afraid to even turn this thing on for fear of a fire. A fire not only on a new grill but a new custom construction home.
For the price that this bundle costs, I expect better quality and better customer service. Hell, I had a cheap Pit Boss with no "extras" that was only $500 that never caught on fire in any way even under the heaviest use from 200 degrees to 400 degrees.
This thing back burns from 225 all the way to 450 degrees and doesn't matter if you turn it down, turn it to low, or turn it off.
This is the first and last Recteq I will ever own and recommend not wasting your time or money
I've only had this happen once to my 700 and Bullseye each was using the Knotty wood pellets

We let everything shut down by the book and never unplug the power. Have tried 3 different brand pellets, cleaned and vacuumed everything, wiped everything down with a dry cloth, even bought a sifter and have sifted every single pellet going into the hopper. Customer service will "hear you" but not "listen" to you because they follow the script. Next step is to cut up as scrap, send them the pictures, and move on.
Going back to the cheap Pit Boss and just buy two of them for the room.
I appreciate all the feedback and hope you all continue to have enjoyment out of your recteq and for those of you experiencing the same things we are... best of luck to you all

Well if you have the tools to cut it up - then why don't you try adapting a gumball flap on the end of the feed tube? It only takes a little more skill to do that vs cutting up the whole thing.

Whichever project you decide to undertake - post pics!

What does shutting down by the book amount to? The only times I’ve had burn back is going from a higher temp directly to off. Hasn’t happened to me when I go from high to 225, then off. Takes a while but it works for me.

I don’t have a 2500 but was wondering if you are potentially having a ventilation issue. You reference your custom house, does it have a custom fitted grill space? I watched a friend with a BG and whenever he puts it too close to a wall or solid structure or there isn’t a lot of overhead space, doesn’t get consistent performance. He also changed the settings on his chimney to improve flow and that gave him a couple of problems. Do you have adequate clearance around all sides of the smoker? Have you checked your chimney vent height? Good luck tracking down the issue. I wish you the best.

I have had the Recteq RT2500 for just about a month and have had multiple issues with back burning. I have cleaned this unit very thoroughly many times and have changed pellets using 3 different brands including the ones Recteq sends in their bundles. I have made sure to follow every instruction to the letter, have talked with customer service a couple of times, and after another back burn last night, I don't even get a call back today after leaving them a message.
By no means am I a rookie to pellet grills or smokers. I have had plenty over the years and haven't had any issues other than wanting to upgrade to bigger and better.
This thing back burns to the point of catching the hopper on fire twice. It is at the point where I am afraid to even turn this thing on for fear of a fire. A fire not only on a new grill but a new custom construction home.
For the price that this bundle costs, I expect better quality and better customer service. Hell, I had a cheap Pit Boss with no "extras" that was only $500 that never caught on fire in any way even under the heaviest use from 200 degrees to 400 degrees.
This thing back burns from 225 all the way to 450 degrees and doesn't matter if you turn it down, turn it to low, or turn it off.
This is the first and last Recteq I will ever own and recommend not wasting your time or money
I noticed some smoke in my pellet hopper (more than the barrel honestly) so I took some Lava Lock and sealed it tight. Haven’t had an issue since.

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock®-High-Temp-Vision-Replacement-Correct/dp/B01N1QKCR2?

I noticed some smoke in my pellet hopper (more than the barrel honestly) so I took some Lava Lock and sealed it tight. Haven’t had an issue since.

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock®-High-Temp-Vision-Replacement-Correct/dp/B01N1QKCR2?
I sealed the barrel door after the first smoke. After I sealed the main door, next cook I noticed smoke coming out of the hopper lid like I Dream of Jeannie was coming out to visit.
On my note to self list: "buy more stick on gasket material"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back