Extending the Chimney on my RT-700

JamesB

I am considering screening in my side porch to cut down on mosquitoes etc. my RT-700 is on my side porch, has a roof over it, on a level cement slab, and works great.

In order to screen in the side porch, I’ll need to extend the rt-700 flue and introduce a right angle.

Will that negatively impact the RT-700’s performance?

I doubt it would affect performance as, unlike a Komodo cooker or stick burner, a pellet grill stack doesn’t ‘draw’ air out of the pit. The fan is going to exhaust the smoke out of the path of least resistance, so what you might see is more smoke forced out of the lid or drain hole. I recall that someone had posted pictures where they did something similar, using dryer vent hose to route the exhaust out of a dryer vent mounted in the screen porch. The guy was really happy with the result.

How much pressure do you think that fan actually creates? A chimney is going to draw air, period. IF it didn't, the fan air would simply take the path of least resistance which would be the lid.

I'm not saying OP will have problems....just that he might.

OP could add a second muffin fan at the end of the run to help draw air out, but it could end up drawing too much (and goodbye "smoke flavor").

If it were me, I'd try and figure out something else.

Last edited:
IF it didn't, the fan air would simply take the path of least resistance which would be the lid...
Which is exactly my point, but for the part of the path of least resistance.. The grease drain and the stack is actually the point of least resistance as there is no seal whatsoever there. The chimney of a pellet grill will not/can not naturally draw air because the only air supplied is from the fan. I cannot imagine you have ever heard of someone successfully lighting a Kamado grill by only opening the chimney vent! The fan pushes air into the firebox-the natural laws of physics exhausts it out of the smoke stack.

Which is exactly my point, but for the part of the path of least resistance.. The grease drain and the stack is actually the point of least resistance as there is no seal whatsoever there. The chimney of a pellet grill will not/can not naturally draw air because the only air supplied is from the fan. I cannot imagine you have ever heard of someone successfully lighting a Kamado grill by only opening the chimney vent! The fan pushes air into the firebox-the natural laws of physics exhausts it out of the smoke stack.
It comes down to pressure. The chimney will draw air wether there is a fan or not (think stickburner).. A fan doesn’t necessarily introduce enough air to force air out everywhere. In a pellet grill its there to keep the pellets lit. Thats why its there, as opposed to forcing air out via a chimney.

It comes down to pressure. The chimney will draw air wether there is a fan or not (think stickburner).. A fan doesn’t necessarily introduce enough air to force air out everywhere. In a pellet grill it’s there to keep the pellets lit. Thats why it’s there, as opposed to forcing air out via a chimney.
For a chimney to draw air, it needs an air source. I don’t know what is so difficult about that. In a pellet grill, for all practical purposes there is no air source other than what is supplied by then fan. The fan absolutely does supply all the air to fuel the fire while also forcing the spent air out the smokestack (and some through the ancillary vents such as the lid or grease drain). A pellet grill is not a vacuum chamber or a compressor-air comes in, air goes out in a stable 1-1 relationship with the fan.

And I mentioned specifically a stick burner/kamado have vents under the fuel (wood) source, instead of a fan. The chimney in parallel with the firebox vents work to provide the draft that regulates burn rate and heat. Do you have any actual experience with the physics of any this, or are you just making stuff up? Because your first post was ‘it very well could’, without offering any explanation of why that may or may not be.

In lieu of altering the stack, consider a fan to push the smoke out. I use this one with good results in my screened in porch.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 9.16.30 PM.png

For a chimney to draw air, it needs an air source. I don’t know what is so difficult about that. In a pellet grill, for all practical purposes there is no air source other than what is supplied by then fan. The fan absolutely does supply all the air to fuel the fire while also forcing the spent air out the smokestack (and some through the ancillary vents such as the lid or grease drain). A pellet grill is not a vacuum chamber or a compressor-air comes in, air goes out in a stable 1-1 relationship with the fan.

And I mentioned specifically a stick burner/kamado have vents under the fuel (wood) source, instead of a fan. The chimney in parallel with the firebox vents work to provide the draft that regulates burn rate and heat. Do you have any actual experience with the physics of any this, or are you just making stuff up? Because your first post was ‘it very well could’, without offering any explanation of why that may or may not be.
Good grief. Your bullshit isnt worthy of a reply, so this is all you’ll get.

…air comes in, air goes out in a stable 1-1 relationship with the fan.
Seems to me this is actually a correct statement of the physics involved. If it was not, air coming in/going out would create either pressure or a vacuum in the cooking chamber and I’m pretty sure that does not happen. I don’t know where the disagreement is on this matter, but it shouldn’t be on the basic physics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back