Bull Exploding 700????

LeeHuber

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
This has happened to me twice now. I power on the RT-700 and it doesn't light. After about 5 minutes and this last time turning the temp to 450 the unit ignites and blows the lid open. When it did it this morning I was in the house and the explosion was so loud I thought a transformer blew up somewhere. Then I realized it was my smoker. Anyone have this happen? I always reduce my temp to low and leave it sit there for 15 minutes before powering off the unit. I allow the unit to complete it's shutdown process before unplugging it. Kinda scary!!

I leave the lid open on start up. Set temperature at 225. When it starts smoking/fan comes on, I close the lid and re-adjust temp (if something other than 225 Is desired).

I've heard of it happening, but I've never experienced it.

Yep, I just found the thread where this is explained. Fan not turning is the issue. I will pay more attention when I start it from now on and leave the lid open. I am sure I freaked my neighbors out this morning. LOL

I was sitting next to it the first time it happened and it scared the crap out of me. It was like the second cook I had with it. I had had a couple beers so I just laughed it off. But this morning it was much more intense.

I was sitting next to it the first time it happened and it scared the crap out of me. It was like the second cook I had with it. I had had a couple beers so I just laughed it off. But this morning it was much more intense.
There'll be others coming along shortly to relate their experiences too.

I don't know much about it, but with leaving the lid open on start, I guess I know all that I need to in order to avoid it from happening to me.

Also check that the igniter is not setback in the firepot and is flush with the end of the tube. I’ve heard of several cases of it not being positioned correctly from factory causing delayed ignition and the firepot filling with pellets causing this issue.

So I think the solution is quite, simple no matter what time of the day it is. When you drink beer, you laugh it off, and when you don't drink beer it scares the crap out of you..........drink more beer and you'll laugh the problem away.

So I think the solution is quite, simple no matter what time of the day it is. When you drink beer, you laugh it off, and when you don't drink beer it scares the crap out of you..........drink more beer and you'll laugh the problem away.
Add a smoke tube and it's hilarious 🤣

I’m not throwing a stone with this, as I’ve made mistakes too, but I can’t think of any reason ever to crank up the temp to 450 to start the pellet grill. Powering on the RT-700 puts it at 200. That’s plenty to get it started…not to mention the startup sequence turns the auger a bit faster for those first 4 minutes to get the fire started.

I turn my 700 on with the lid open and wait. In about 3-4 minutes, smoke starts riding up. Continue to wait and monitor until the “fire catches”. You’ll know it by the sound coming from the firebox. Sounds like a small jet engine. The wandering smoke subsides to something less thick.

Reasons for not starting normal:

- vacuuming the firebox and no pellets were left. Alwsys put about 1/4 cup of pellets in the firebox if you vacuum it totally clean.

- pellets n the firebox got wet?

If the 700 doesn’t start the first time, power down the unit AND unplug it. Wait 5 minutes. Plug it in, power on, and allow it to start normally…as I described,

This happens to me either when I run out of pellets, or I have wet pellets that solidify and plug the hole. I just get in there and clean out the pilot hole and relight it. That fixes it.

Happened to me on my second cook with the 700, scared the heck out of me. I was close to it, singed the hairs on my leg. Almost went back to the BGE after that lol. Customer support suspected wet pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back