Expected behavior, or a dud?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Grill(s) owned
  1. Patio Legend 410
Hey, yall.

New member here, so if this is posted in the wrong area go easy on me.

I’ll try to keep this to the point. My new grill seems to have more mood swings than my wife.

Two weeks ago I picked up a patio legend 410, after high recommendations from a family member, and man.. I was SUPER impressed. It would reach temp and was a dream to use.

So, five cooks deep I decided I was going to do a 16 hour brisket. So, I cranked the grill up around 11PM and set it to “low” and man.. this is when all my problems started.

Firstly, it overshot 120° (320°) when set to low. When it finally came down I ended up setting it around 200°. This took almost an hour to stabilize. It dropped and jumped <30° and as high as 60° over all throughout the night. Feed rate was 3.5, which is what it came from factory.

The brisket was ruined, but I didn’t let that get me down, instead I called recteq and apparently got some bad advice. The guy told me to crank the feed rate to 9.5. Apparently that was not correct, per another recteq employee, but hey,. I was willing to figure this out.

Since then, I’ve tried everything from 1.5 - 6.5 and despite everything I do.. when I crank this thing to 400° it’ll take 45minutes to get to temp. Usually, it stalls around 300-350, dips down, climbs a little and repeats. THIS is the behavior that I’m experiencing during every cook. Surely this can’t be normal, right?

After speaking to a rep, he had me send in charts, and he said they look odd, and said he would get back to me.

Should I just return the grill? I told them I’d love to keep a Recteq.. and advised they exchange it. I’m not super into the idea of swapping parts, trail and error, on a grill I’ve literally had 14 days.

I’ve used pit boss comp blend pellets, which I used on my Traeger and Pitboss with no issue, and the Recteq is clean as a whistle. I even got a fresh bag, cleaned it to almost new form, but the behavior continues.

So, my main questions are…

- Should it take 40+ minutes to hit 400°(lid stays shut. I set and forget it)
- Is there a correct aug speed?

I live in SC. The grill is covered under a gazebo. So.. I’m it sure what else I can possibly do here. I’d be much more willing to troubleshoot if I had this thing months, years… but 14 days? No thanks.

Was great.. until it wasnt. Any advice welcome.

Edit: the grill stayed clean, with plenty of airflow, and has never had any issues with not being clean. If that matters?

Hey, yall.

New member here, so if this is posted in the wrong area go easy on me.

I’ll try to keep this to the point. My new grill seems to have more mood swings than my wife.

Two weeks ago I picked up a patio legend 410, after high recommendations from a family member, and man.. I was SUPER impressed. It would reach temp and was a dream to use.

So, five cooks deep I decided I was going to do a 16 hour brisket. So, I cranked the grill up around 11PM and set it to “low” and man.. this is when all my problems started.

Firstly, it overshot 120° (320°) when set to low. When it finally came down I ended up setting it around 200°. This took almost an hour to stabilize. It dropped and jumped <30° and as high as 60° over all throughout the night. Feed rate was 3.5, which is what it came from factory.
Drew,
Welcome to the forum. You will find it a great place to exchange information. The bahavoir of your device is definitely suspect. The short answer is for you to work with RecTeq’s tech team and do a thourough troubleshooting session. Make sure you are near your device and don’t let them off the phone until you are comfortable. This includes making sure you have the proper firmware and checking to see if the feed rate is stable and consistent. Unfortunately, since you can’t simulate the temperature profiles, you will be relegated to trial and error, troubleshooting. Before you contact them, make sure you have fresh, high quality pellets (i.e., RT endorsed) and that your temp probe is not touching any of the internals in your rig. I’d also check any exposed wiring to ensure their are no intermittent connections. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I would try a different brand of pellets to see if it makes any difference; Bear Mountain or Lumberjack if you can find them. Sometimes, these grills can be pretty finicky about pellets. Not saying there's anything wrong with Pit Boss (I've never used that brand) but I have seen a change of pellet brand make a significant difference.

Appreciate yall.

Yeah, I’m thinking I may need to try another brand. Just super odd that the comp blend isn’t meshing well with it. Well, if that’s what the issue is.

While you’re waiting here’s a quick workaround for those without a functioning grill…
1718395883692.jpeg

The economy version of the Weiner Mobile

Pretty much that here in Kentucky. We have a bit of a reprieve here today, 88° now, in the 90s for all of the following 7 days! It’s going to be significantly cooler at our SC home next week-not supposed to be that way!

Got the replacement grill, and paired it with some Bear MTN pellets, and it’s working like a champ!
That’s great news, @Drew; glad things worked out for you on this. I have had good results with Bear Mountain pellets, and even better results with LumberJack but they are harder to find. Fortunately, my grandson works at a specialty meat shop and they have started to carry LumberJack. Problem solved. (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back