Error 2

Hilbe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
My bullseye is currently under maintenance. Since it got cold I've been unable to get it over 160 degrees, even in riot mode. Eventually it throws an Err 2 because it can't reach temperature. I looked inside while it was "hot" and there was a flame so the igniter is working. I vacuumed it out, put a handful of new pellets in and still nothing. So I called RT and they said I need the new controller for colder climates (Indiana is that cold?). They're sending me that, so hopefully I can finally use the bullseye again. I've been using my Bull full time for the past week as I wait for the part to arrive. Hopefully it warms up a bit so I don't have to do all the repairs in single digit weather!

My bullseye is currently under maintenance. Since it got cold I've been unable to get it over 160 degrees, even in riot mode. Eventually it throws an Err 2 because it can't reach temperature. I looked inside while it was "hot" and there was a flame so the igniter is working. I vacuumed it out, put a handful of new pellets in and still nothing. So I called RT and they said I need the new controller for colder climates (Indiana is that cold?). They're sending me that, so hopefully I can finally use the bullseye again. I've been using my Bull full time for the past week as I wait for the part to arrive. Hopefully it warms up a bit so I don't have to do all the repairs in single digit weather!
Thanks for posting.

I continue to figure out what's wrong with my Bullseye. I noticed it relighting as it was getting up to temp. I also noticed 50 degree (false) temperature swings happening within seconds. This isn't a pellet issue so I'll call RT again.

Last edited:
New controller resolved issue!

0BFE7539-56F3-405E-9F24-3B7A178E25AF.jpeg

My new controller was delivered today. Hopefully this snow will be over and I can go home.

I was surprised it still says rec tec
I suspect they have a backlog of pre-name change parts. I used my 380 burgers the other night and no problem at 18 degrees.
Also used the 590 today to make the best BB ribs ever. 3;2;1 at 225* Used LJ pellets, supreme comp. Life is good.

I expect they update the firmware in house, test them, and ship them out as replacements. The controller you send back will be on someone else’s doorstep in a week or two.
They didn't tell me to send it back. I was going to toss it out.

Probably not worth the cost or hassle if the board is toast.

Interesting, when I was having issues with my Bullseye back in the fall, they replaced my controller twice and emailed me a pre-paid return label both times.
I'll let you know if I get a return label.

Im still at work and anxious to get replacement controller installed.

Hopeful they made some changes.. still sitting on the sideline for one of these units. I'd buy one today if I knew they worked like the Bull.
I finally got home and installed the new controller and it works, perfectly! I'm a happy mofo, the grill is purring away at 225 with no issue:)

Guess I'm gonna keep it.

I didn’t think it was a software issue (I’m in IT). I told my wife I’m going to replace this thing but expect my favorite burger grill to be offline a bit. It was good to be wrong. RT support knows their stuff!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back