Elevated Chicken

Bytor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I have noticed when cooking a spatchcocked chicken that once the fat begins to render out of the skin, it produces a lot of smoke on the drip pan. The smoke can be overpowering at times, and for my taste seems to add an oilier type of smoke flavor, and be overpowering. I decided to elevate the bird on a wire rack that was sitting on top a drip pan filled with about 2 cups of warm water. I figured the water would prevent the oil from burning once it hit the pan and would also introduce a moisture component to at least the underside of the meat.
chick 1.jpg

The end result was fantastic. First off, it was quite noticeable once I cranked the temp to 400, that there was zero oil smoke coming from the dripping fat. The fat was going into the pan and mixing with the water. There was a small amount of steam coming off the water that definitely didn’t hurt any. I actually think this steam aided in capturing more smoke flavor and eliminated any of the off flavor from burnt grease. The skin was extra crispy and I think underneath it was some of the most tender and moistest chicken I have made so far.

chick 2.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of the meat after being cut into. But needless to say there were no leftovers to be had. I was able to scarf up a wing though while resting.

Chick done.jpg

Specifics

6# bird overnight dry drined with Sazon Tropical
Cooked, at LO (180F) on a Bradly rack on top of foil pan with an inch or so of water for 60 minutes.
Increased temp to 400, while the bird was still in the pit, continued to cook for another 80 minutes.
At 40 minute mark, I rotated the bird. I started out with the dark meat on the right side, as that side runs hotter. After rotating, white meat played a little catch up with temps.
IT of white meat 162-164, dark meat 188-192. I prefer dark meat to get rendered out longer.
Tented with foil for a 15 minute rest

Results were great…..

I concur, Bytor! This method works great with several types of meat, including turkey breast, lamb & even pork butt.

Attachments

• F0F1B5FD-0CE8-4EF2-B26D-D04494F676E8.jpeg
    F0F1B5FD-0CE8-4EF2-B26D-D04494F676E8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 3D61B941-64D7-4D65-BCED-60599F876846.jpeg
    3D61B941-64D7-4D65-BCED-60599F876846.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 79
  • 24CE588B-17A8-4927-A650-9346F305E5C2.jpeg
    24CE588B-17A8-4927-A650-9346F305E5C2.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 79
Good to know, thanks for sharing, I like how your Bradley is still being used for something.
Since I got my Rt-700 it is only used for smoking cheese and salmon.

Good to know, thanks for sharing, I like how your Bradley is still being used for something.
Since I got my Rt-700 it is only used for smoking cheese and salmon.
These racks are great and I use them all of the time. They are such great cooling racks too. They are a little taller than most racks so that anything that's hot on them won't build up a lot of steam/moisture on the underside.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back