RT-1070 Easy Peasy Spareribs in 4 hrs.

okie

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
Like Fast Eddy's 3 hr BB ribs, I tried spareribs in 4 hrs.
First I opened vacuum packed spares, and patted dry with paper towels. Next I did not remove the membrane-instead, I sliced it in a criss cross pattern. No binder used. Then I used ONLY salt and pepper on both sides. Being careful to go lightly on the salt. No other rub. I have done this recently on previous rib cook and was amazed at the increased smoke and taste. Then cranked the 1070 up to 275*. Put the ribs on and closed the lid for 3.5 hrs. NO PEEK! No sprits.
At 3.5 hrs I pulled and painted with Sweet Baby Rays, just on the top. Back into the grill still naked for another 30 minutes, then remove and rest for 15 minutes.
Result: Fantastic ribs with a little more crust on surface and buttery soft inside with slight tug and clean bones. The end pieces were a bit more done but that was expected. If desired, you could sprits q 15-20 minutes from hr. 2.5 to 3.5 with ACV/water, but I would not. Instead, I just remove the end bones and save for later snack as jerky.
I know that not using a rub worries some folks but you will be amazed at the flavor obtained with SP. And the ribs were juicy!
Possible mods:
1: spritzing during the last hour (as above)
2 No spritzing but pulling ribs 15 minutes earlier for less crust. I would probe for doneness first.
IMG_1653.jpeg
IMG_1655.jpeg
IMG_1656.jpeg

OK - I'll ask....
Why criss-cross the membrane vs pulling it off with a paper towel?
I know there wasn't a time savings.

I very often do S&P only - it's very tasty, and good for people who either can't handle the heat or have allergies to rub/sauce ingredients. I agree - it's still a very tasty meal.

Looks good - I'd have gone with the simple thumbs up, but want to know about the criss-cross...

Not always easy to get the membrane off with first try. Also if you criss cross which is quick and easy, you won't find any appreciable residue on the finished ribs and what little is there is stuck to the bare bones on backs of the ribs. In a rib cook comparing those two with just leaving it on intact, the rib eaters thought the criss crossed retained more flavor in the meat, without any residual membrane noted when eating. Not a scientific study. Anyhow I've been doing it for some time now and see no difference when eating the ribs.

Interesting that you just criss-cross the membrane instead of removing it. Never heard of this technique before and I’ve been cooking ribs for a longtime. You learn something every day.

For those who do want to remove the membrane (aka silver skin), I use a small meat/bone hook like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001505OU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just slide it under the membrane until the tip comes out the other side, then pull along the rib rack. The round surface will just glide between the meat and membrane. YMMV

Last edited:
For those who do want to remove the membrane (aka silver skin), I use a small meat/bone hook like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001505OU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just slide it under the membrane until the tip comes out the other side, then pull along the rib rack. The round surface will just glide between the meat and membrane. YMMV
We’re taking about the underside of the ribs, right? A dry paper towel, grab a corner of the membrane and rip it off like a bandaid. That’s why I said there’s no way crosscuts are faster.

We’re taking about the underside of the ribs, right? A dry paper towel, grab a corner of the membrane and rip it off like a bandaid. That’s why I said there’s no way crosscuts are faster.
Yes, that does work—most of the time. I’ve encountered some rib racks where the membrane just didn’t want to cooperate with the standard paper-towel-pull, however. ;)

That’s when I pull out the hook. It also works well to lift the corner of the membrane so you can grab it more easily with the paper towel initially.

It seems to me that ribs that are "old" (not fresh) are more often difficult to remove the membrane. I am averse to buying Costco pork anymore after getting so many smelly ribs. We have a Sam's Club next door to the Costco and I get pork there.

I was dubious, but I tried it and it resulted as a simple and good idea. Sometimes we all do what is traditionally thought to be a good method. So? Try it next time. I think it may change your minds. Check it out. Go to Youtube, Mad Scientist, How to Smoke Pork Ribs. (could not transfer address here.) If you watch the whole presentation you will see them judge results at the end. I have also, done ribs with this method and they were great. (I did not use the Pork Lard)

I was dubious, but I tried it and it resulted as a simple and good idea. Sometimes we all do what is traditionally thought to be a good method. So? Try it next time. I think it may change your minds. Check it out. Go to Youtube, Mad Scientist, How to Smoke Pork Ribs. (could not transfer address here.) If you watch the whole presentation you will see them judge results at the end. I have also, done ribs with this method and they were great. (I did not use the Pork Lard)
Is this the video you were talking about? I've watched it before.

It is one of two similar cooks. This one with rub at 275* note the scored membrane won taste test.

Just did another rack of St. Louis style, at 275* for 4 hrs, except this time I spritzed after 2.5 hrs and at 3 hrs. Then wrapped in foil with a couple of oz. of ACV/H2O, meat side down for 45 minutes, then painted and naked for another 20 Minutes (Total time 4 hrs 5 min.). They were even better. Wrapping this way takes just a few minutes, and while the ribs were great, I think I will wrap at 2.5 hrs, for 1 hr, and then paint and naked for 30 minutes more or less. Makes meat more tender at the end IMO. Going for 4 hrs at 275* saves about 2 hrs, and give super results. Making sure your pit temp is accurate is essential.
IMG_1688.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back