Easter Ham question

Dano

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I brined an 18 lb. Uncured Ham and smoked it Friday night to an internal temp of 150. Let it rest for 1-2 hours the loosely wrapped in the fridge to cool completely. It fit with a little persuasion into a 2 gallon ziplock bag.

My question to you meatheads do I dare leave it in the fridge all week until I reheat it for Easter?

Looks like 3-5 days to me. This is from the USDA web site.

1649673435742.png

You probably won’t die, but intestinal pyrotechnics might be in your future if you do that. Vacuum sealing it right away and turning your fridge down to 33 degrees can buy you some extra time, but that’s a pretty big ham, and it’s already been 3-ish days. I’d save that experiment for a week that you want some time off from work 😉.

You probably won’t die, but intestinal pyrotechnics might be in your future if you do that. Vacuum sealing it right away and turning your fridge down to 33 degrees can buy you some extra time, but that’s a pretty big ham, and it’s already been 3-ish days. I’d save that experiment for a week that you want some time off from work 😉.
Or the experiment probably depends on the family coming for Easter. I don’t have in laws any more so I froze it. Will thaw it and reheat it.

The answer to this question actually depends on how long your ham sat in the “danger zone” which is 41-degrees to 135 degrees. To avoid bacteria growth, restaurants are required to cool foods very rapidly, from 135 down to 70 in just 2 hours, taking no longer than 4 more hours to bring it the rest of the way down below 41. if you are confident you met this standard, then you should have up to 7 days (counting the day you cooked it) to eat it.

Personally, I would eat it much sooner than that. Most foods take much longer than that to cool down, particularly large hunks of meat.

The answer to this question actually depends on how long your ham sat in the “danger zone” which is 41-degrees to 135 degrees. To avoid bacteria growth, restaurants are required to cool foods very rapidly, from 135 down to 70 in just 2 hours, taking no longer than 4 more hours to bring it the rest of the way down below 41. if you are confident you met this standard, then you should have up to 7 days (counting the day you cooked it) to eat it.

Personally, I would eat it much sooner than that. Most foods take much longer than that to cool down, particularly large hunks of meat.
Good to know. I’ll keep you posted if there is any intestinal pyrotechnics.

What are y'alls thoughts on how long to reheat a roughly 12 lb ham on the smoker? My aunt bought it for our family lunch today and I'm thinking when I heat it I'll heat on the Recteq.

(Her instructions for oven were reheat at 275 for 10 lbs per pound.) Thanks

What are y'alls thoughts on how long to reheat a roughly 12 lb ham on the smoker? My aunt bought it for our family lunch today and I'm thinking when I heat it I'll heat on the Recteq.

275 @ 15 minutes per pound, foiled tightly. Don't overcook!

My ham was 33 degrees internal when I put it on the smoker. I put it on my smoker at 4:30 am at 250 degrees in an aluminum pan. At 8:30 am I wrapped tightly with foil. At 10:30 it was 140 degrees internal. Then I turned down the grill to 180 to hold temp. No internal pyrotechnics. Amazing!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back