Durability in the PNW

Big D

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Greetings, Recteq family. I have a question for those living in the Pacific Northwest.
My father came to visit me in Las Vegas, and was very impressed with my RT-700. He lives on the coast of Oregon in Bandon. Over the years, he has purchased the Charbroil “$299 Specials”, as the moist salt water air corrodes most grills to piles of rust after a couple of years.
My question is, how is the longevity of Recteq grills in that environment? Thanks

There's quite a few folks living in FL that have posted various thinks about being in the salt air. I don't recall anyone having issues.

There are many parts of the RT grills that are stainless steel. They'll be fine. However, there is still a considerable amount of plain carbon steel in a RT grill.

The obvious parts are the pellet hopper, grill door, and frame. I can recall some posts about rusty frame parts.

Being very close to the ocean is going to be a problem for any grill that has plain carbon steel anywhere... if left out in the elements.

Last edited:
From what I have seen, the steel components seem to be pretty well powder coated. Where I would worry would be the screw holes in the sheet metal.

Salt air is insidious and will find bare metal in places you cannot imaging and once rust starts, at a screw hole for example, it can migrate under the powder coating.

If I were on the Florida coast I would keep a can of something like Rust-Oleum or Locktite rust converter handy and keep a close eye on all the fastener holes. Jump on the first sign of rust.

From what I have seen, the steel components seem to be pretty well powder coated. Where I would worry would be the screw holes in the sheet metal.

Salt air is insidious and will find bare metal in places you cannot imaging and once rust starts, at a screw hole for example, it can migrate under the powder coating.

If I were on the Florida coast I would keep a can of something like Rust-Oleum or Locktite rust converter handy and keep a close eye on all the fastener holes. Jump on the first sign of rust.
wonder if you could use olive oil on the grill and screws every month to keep it rust free? i have no idea just a thought and food grade

We live in Coastal Georgia on an island east of the Intra Coastal Waterway. It doesn't get much saltier without being submerged. Have always had a collection of grills and smokers on the patio. I agree: the $100 budget gas grills - used only for brats and burgers - last only three years or so. Never have had a problem with any other grills or smokers. In fact I always feel a bit guilty when I replace a perfectly good one because a new and shiny one has caught my eye.

We live in Coastal Georgia on an island east of the Intra Coastal Waterway. It doesn't get much saltier without being submerged. Have always had a collection of grills and smokers on the patio. I agree: the $100 budget gas grills - used only for brats and burgers - last only three years or so. Never have had a problem with any other grills or smokers. In fact I always feel a bit guilty when I replace a perfectly good one because a new and shiny one has caught my eye.
Anywhere near Skidaway Island?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back