Stampede Drippings

AlphaPapa

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
How are folks catching the drippings when smoking a Boston butt or brisket on the 590? I don’t want a pan with high sides that would limit the smoke from surrounding the meat. One solution I read on the 340 forum was to smoke for 8 hours on the grate and then put it on a wire rack in a pan. Seems like it would still interfere with bark formation. BTW, I am a recent non-wrapper convert. Thanks for any assistance!

After the overnight cook straight on the grates @200, In the morning, I put it in a disposable aluminum pan, cover with foil and finish till done. I get more than enough juice, I use a oxo fat separator and throw the fat away.

Lots of different options. Here's a couple approaches I've used to elevate the meat on a rack over a pan. I usually end up varying the setup somewhat depending on the meat, size, pan, etc.

Attachments

• B028E1D5-A63C-4962-93C0-A1BC388193B8.jpeg
    B028E1D5-A63C-4962-93C0-A1BC388193B8.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 412
  • 2ADDEEC5-BBEE-4BAA-A408-BB1D5BAA7FED.jpeg
    2ADDEEC5-BBEE-4BAA-A408-BB1D5BAA7FED.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 477
Lots of different options. Here's a couple approaches I've used to elevate the meat on a rack over a pan. I usually end up varying the setup somewhat depending on the meat, size, pan, etc.
Good ideas. Where did you get the rack in that second picture?

Good ideas. Where did you get the rack in that second picture?

It's a Holland & Phoenix warming rack I found online. Measures 24-1/4" long X 8-1/8" wide and works great in the RT-590. I especially like it because it's 4 1/8" tall, so higher than the RT brand small rack, and can fit standard disposable pans underneath. Doesn't quite fit in my dishwasher very well so I end up hand washing it, but it cleans up pretty easy. Looks like the price has gone up a bit, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
https://www.grillparts.com/phoenix/default.asp?product_id=SDSCS

You can always take a higher sided pan and just place a metal wire cooling rack on top (not inside) and set the meat there. Shouldnt have any smoke interference seeing as it is resting above the pan. You wouldnt get direct vertical smoke anyways due to the deflector and drip pan so the smoke should wrap around totally fine and youll still catch all your drippings without having to move the pork butt mid cook (especially if you arent planning to wrap).

It's a Holland & Phoenix warming rack I found online. Measures 24-1/4" long X 8-1/8" wide and works great in the RT-590. I especially like it because it's 4 1/8" tall, so higher than the RT brand small rack, and can fit standard disposable pans underneath. Doesn't quite fit in my dishwasher very well so I end up hand washing it, but it cleans up pretty easy. Looks like the price has gone up a bit, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
Thank you! Just placed an order for one.

Thank you for this as well! I've been looking something like this exactly without having to alter my 590!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back