RT-1250 Drip Tray

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I always line my smoker’s drip tray with 18” HD foil. I try and smooth out any wrinkles in the foil so that the grease can flow more smoothly towards the grease bucket. Despite my efforts, I almost always end up with grease getting underneath the foil. Am I expecting too much, or am I doing something wrong?

Meh, Same thing with my 1250. Try as I might, grease still finds a way under. I use the wide heavy duty foil. 1 piece covers the whole drip tray but grease still ends up under it. If it builds up I use a paint scraper to clean it and then re-foil the tray. Sometimes I run it up to 600+ for Pizza, Grease (and foil) disappear at that temp. (after a very smokey burn off)

I emailed Recteq support and they admit there is no way to prevent this from happening. They recommended one of their Teflon drip tray liners. I did a forum search and folks seem to like ‘em. They are currently out of stock, but I’m gonna try one when they get more in.

I emailed Recteq support and they admit there is no way to prevent this from happening. They recommended one of their Teflon drip tray liners, but I am hesitant in spending $30 on something that may be no better than foil. I’m going to writs a separate post to see if anyone has any experience with one.
Buy one on amazon, lots cheeper. This one is twice as thick as RT’s, 20 mm vs. 10 mm and is 70” long, enough for two on the 700/1250.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GMMOCPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost is $13 with free prime shipping. They work great as long as you do not go over 500 degrees, same for the RT one.

Last edited:
I have not had any problems with leaks or escaped grease. I also use the HD foil (Reynolds). I take 2 pieces and align their edges lengthwise. Then I fold them together at ~1” and add a second fold of approximately 1”. I then ”open” the resulting foil so it is almost twice its original width and start wrapping the grease tray by laying it flat. This will leave a seam in the middle but I smooth it out as much as possible and move on. The seam has not leaked in almost 3 years of doing this and interestingly, does not impede any grease from exiting to the bucket if done properly and if your grill is on an even surface. I will continue to do this as my clean up is only a matter of minutes and I am doing long (over 12 hours) cooks several times a month and a lot of short cooks in between. For those in rodent infested areas, this also keeps the curious critters from hanging out on the grill so they can lick the remaining renderings. Another trick to avoid the rodents includes capping/plugging the exit drain and putting the bucket in the pellet hopper. I also use foil in the bucket so it remains new looking. One word of caution, during high temp cooks the foil will try to weld/fuse with the tray. When that occurs, I get out the scraper for the tough parts. Just my thoughts

Easy, peasy lemon squeezy.

20221128_065330.jpg

I always get grease under the foil. I think I might try the oven liner on amazon linked above. Next I will switch to scraping if that doesn't work.

Always have grease too. Only add here is i went to the Traeger fitted liners. it didnt help either. Trying the amazon ones next. But very close to the scrape method because candidly I am already doing it. I have to scrape even when i used the liner - foil or traeger.

I always line my smoker’s drip tray with 18” HD foil. I try and smooth out any wrinkles in the foil so that the grease can flow more smoothly towards the grease bucket. Despite my efforts, I almost always end up with grease getting underneath the foil. Am I expecting too much, or am I doing something wrong?
Don't over think this, that is rule #1. No foil with occasional scrape and hitemp burn, done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back