As stated above; No .... not recommended

Just my $0.02
If you want your Burgers "Grilled", get a set of Grill Grates
Set-up your Grill Grates and crank your Bull to the MAX
After the Bull gets to "MAX", lower your Set Temp to 400
Burgers on, Door closed
Flip them around 100 internal, then cook to 140 - 150 internal
Gives your Burgers that nice "Grilled" flavor but with a hint of Smoke

I agree, it would make a mess. Thanks all. I have the sear plates and use them now and they work well, just asking if anyone had tried it and what the results were.

Welcome to the forum, @juelichj. I think the term “drip pan” actually answers the question; it catches drips before they get to where they aren’t supposed to be. @DenStinett provided a great burger grilling method. Since you have the sear plates, that’s how I would proceed.

Has anyone ever tried grilling burgers and such without the drip pan installed?
i just joined this forum, and do not agree with the responses you received. I remove the long drip pan all the time for quick steaks and burgers. I have a heavy cast iron grate from my last green egg, and i center it over the shield that covers the firebox. just cooking for two people. searing steaks is easy. no mess.

As a suggestion, research how the Yoder Smokers are designed to remove an access door as well as the entire drip pan to do hot searing. I’m still learning/unlearning what I know about using a pellet grill, but direct fire cooking (without a diffuser and/or drip pan) is pretty awesome.
IMG_1256.jpeg

I actually used to do this quite a bit before I started using a bbq box on a camp chef double burner for my direct heat stuff. It works but it's not ideal. I would line the bottom of the barrel with foil, leaving the fire pot open and then put my grillgrates on the recteq grates exposed directly to the firepot. Depending on what I was cooking the mess wasn't too bad, but it certainly wasn't perfect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back