Don Godke's Downdraft – Anyone have one?

Let us know once you get a few cooks, with it, under your belt. I'd be interested to know your opinion on it. I've had my eye on it for a while...

No drilling required. Extra hands are helpful!
Here is the hood installed in the closed and open position. Cooked up some bone in thighs afterward. Can't really say much from one cook but my low temps stayed the same at 180
with min. feed rate set at 3.
From my previous experience with one that did not have the adjustable opening is that it is a subtle difference. The outlet exhaust square inch is exactly the same as original so it does not
block any air flow but just adjusts it down to grate height.

I don't really see a need to have it open at any time but we shall see.

View attachment 2893View attachment 2894
I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts after you've had a few cooks with this downdraft.

The idea sounds neat.

I got the downdraft in the mail yesterday. I was a little disappointed at first. The build quality is pretty rough. The door opening doesn't fit quite right and it doesn't quite sit flush perfectly.
The bolts don't match the originals. He does use 16 gauge 304 stainless though and I am sure It is not easy to work with.
For the sake of comparison, the Don Godke's unit I received was nicely made. Edges were clean, though you'd still want to be careful. Hardware is top notch with bolts matching RT's button head, spacers and nuts with integrated lock washer. Just to share info, not trying to sell anyone on it.

The godke is a nicely made unit. I went with Mike Hurd because I had his on my Treagar and I do not want to look at some other dudes name every time I open the lid.
Also with the name cut out it pulls smoke in at a higher height and changes the whole reason
for having a down draft. ( sure not by much though!)
If not for the name I would of gone with Don's....

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts after you've had a few cooks with this downdraft.

The idea sounds neat.
I had one on my Traegar for years without the adjustable opening. I liked it. I thought it gave more smoke flavor and especially for the Traegar evened out the temps across the grill.
Pellet consumption might go down a touch as well.
Also put some fire brick in the belly of the beast as a heat sink for the longer smokes. (5-7)
Horns Out!

I'd love to BTT this and get any feed back from real life users...specifically on the impact on the smoke flavor profile and reliability.

I am coming from a WSM, and am IN LOVE w/ the ease and usability, but the flavor is a sacrifice right now. So I am gonna do something to increase smoke flavor, and I am torn between the Heavy D diffuser, a cold smoker add on(magnum PIG) or the downdraft.

another option you can try is a smoke tube. they are very cheap and don’t require modifications. for max smoke flavor a mix of wood chips and pellets seems to be the best. even if you go downdraft you should still check out a tube

I'd love to BTT this and get any feed back from real life users...specifically on the impact on the smoke flavor profile and reliability.

I am coming from a WSM, and am IN LOVE w/ the ease and usability, but the flavor is a sacrifice right now. So I am gonna do something to increase smoke flavor, and I am torn between the Heavy D diffuser, a cold smoker add on(magnum PIG) or the downdraft.
It’s good to ask for real user-experience on this mod, and additionally it’s good to ask yourself what the real world physics that are involved here. As @Jigsaw noted in your earlier post, pellet grills are inducted combustion systems. Meaning that the fuel (Pellets) in the grill are fed oxygen to combust the fuel. The spent oxygen must be exhausted from the grill at a 1-1 ration to what is being fed to the fire pot. The grill is not an air compressor-if you put x CFM of air into the grill, it must likewise exhaust x CFM of oxygen-depleted air out of the grill. Now you can restrict the flow at the pipe, but the grill is going to force it out just the same-through the lid, through the grease drain, etc. but it’s not going to stay in the grill and give you additional smoke flavor.

Hmmm. I have some stainless steel sheet metal in the garage. :unsure:

I could probably make one of these to test it out, but having seen various reviews.....some folks like em, others think they are a waste of money. Admittedly, I have not used one, but I lean towards the waste of money side.

I think it would be much cheaper, and more effective, to just use a smoking tube.

I could probably make one of these to test it out, but having seen various reviews.....some folks like em, others think they are a waste of money. Admittedly, I have not used one, but I lean towards the waste of money side.

I think it would be much cheaper, and more effective, to just use a smoking tube.
Can't go wrong with the smoke tube 👍

That would be an accurate test, but I expect loosely wadding up a piece of aluminum foil and shoving it up the smoke stack would accomplish the same thing. In the end, it will be about forcing the exhaust smoke out of the grill via the path of least resistance. Which adds nothing to the flavor of the food. A smoke tube, pellets on the deflector, or the Smoke Daddy devices are the only way to add more smoke to a pellet grill. It will never happen by attempting to close off the exhaust of the grill.

It’s good to ask for real user-experience on this mod, and additionally it’s good to ask yourself what the real world physics that are involved here. As @Jigsaw noted in your earlier post, pellet grills are inducted combustion systems. Meaning that the fuel (Pellets) in the grill are fed oxygen to combust the fuel. The spent oxygen must be exhausted from the grill at a 1-1 ration to what is being fed to the fire pot. The grill is not an air compressor-if you put x CFM of air into the grill, it must likewise exhaust x CFM of oxygen-depleted air out of the grill. Now you can restrict the flow at the pipe, but the grill is going to force it out just the same-through the lid, through the grease drain, etc. but it’s not going to stay in the grill and give you additional smoke flavor.
This is as true as it is funny. :D No more needs to be said. Well, maybe that the smoker drum isn't a pressure storage tank.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back