Bull Don’t use these pellets

I was looking forward to the new royal oak “100% charcoal” pellets but after this not sure if I’ll want to spend the $ and it not be any good
I've tried the charcoal pellets and even gave a bag to my boss, neither of us were impressed. Taste like people differ so try it, you might like it.

Good to know! Probably a fluke though. I use Lumberjack pellets almost exclusively. No issues with those to date after a little over three years and some 730 pounds worth ran through either the Bullseye or the RT-700. Best smoke flavor, IMHO.

I could see though where any pellet brand could jam given the right conditions. I consider myself lucky.

I use Kingsford 100% Hickory, 20# bag for $15.00 at Walmart. I think Hickory has a stronger profile.

I was at Walmart today and had a looksee in the grilling area. I thought they only sold PB pellets, but today there were Kingsford and Five Star (which I have never seen or heard of before).

I picked up a bag of the Kingsford Signature (Mesquite, Cherry and Oak) to try.

Edit: Apparently they are called Expert Grill Five Star pellets. The Expert Grill grills are a Walmart brand. I wonder who makes the pellets for them? If the pellets are the same caliber of the grills....I would pass.

Good to know! Probably a fluke though. I use Lumberjack pellets almost exclusively. No issues with those to date after a little over three years and some 730 pounds worth ran through either the Bullseye or the RT-700. Best smoke flavor, IMHO.

I could see though where any pellet brand could jam given the right conditions. I consider myself lucky.
I’m thinking it might just be the charcoal ones. I think they are new to their line up.
Id also imagine that the charcoal ones are harder than regular wood ones. Either way I’m not going the charcoal direction.
Only thing i might try is the new royal oak ones once i see enough reviews on them

LJ and Traeger can be found at Southerlands here in Tulsa, Bixby. They have had some trouble getting all varieties of LJ since the merger. Hope that is not the sign of doom for LJ. 20# bag LJ for $9.99.
Who merged ?

Glad I have three Rural Kings close to me. One of them always has what I'm looking for and the price is decent.
You must be nearby. I'm up in Fishers. I go to Muncie and sometimes Greenwood RK. Pick up whatever is on sale. Grillers Gold is OK from there, but prefer the Bear Mountain.

I've bought Cowboy lump charcoal in the past. It was bad enough that I'd not buy anything from them.

For pellets that won't feed in your auger, you might use them in a smoke tube.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back