Bull Don’t use these pellets

NinoRT700

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I picked up a bag of cowboy charcoal and applewood pellets to use in my bull. Was running for almost 3hrs and jammed it up bad. Created lots of ash causing a flame out and auger just could not get through it. I had a little bit of the bear mountain blend still in there when these were added so im guessing those were what was mostly burning before these hit. Fixed and jammed 3 times in the middle of a cook so took all of them out and put some normal cherry in them.
Read afterwards that they don’t recommend charcoal pellets to begin with.
Last time for me

Good to know, thanks.

I try and stick with Traeger, Lumberjack or Bear Mountain pellets.

I've used cooking pellets before and they are good, but no one stocks them around here, so I just stick with what I can get locally.

I want to try the Kingsford pellets. I assume Recteq endorses them since they are partnered with them in some manner. My Lowes started carrying them, but it's $5 for a 5lb bag.

Good to know, thanks.

I try and stick with Traeger, Lumberjack or Bear Mountain pellets.

I've used cooking pellets before and they are good, but no one stocks them around here, so I just stick with what I can get locally.

I want to try the Kingsford pellets. I assume Recteq endorses them since they are partnered with them in some manner. My Lowes started carrying them, but it's $5 for a 5lb bag.
Yea they were a mess. Some too long and just too hard is what I’m guessing. I put in a bag of pitboss cherry after i cleaned out all of those others and seem to be good and steady now.
Also the biggest trouble with me is finding different brands of pellets. Unless i travel a bit i can only really get traeger and pit boss.

Both of those brands are decent.

Ace Hardware carries Traeger Pellets. Tractor Supply carries Bear Mountain. Dicks carries lumberjack.

Not sure what's close to you, but those are the main places near me.

LJ and Traeger can be found at Southerlands here in Tulsa, Bixby. They have had some trouble getting all varieties of LJ since the merger. Hope that is not the sign of doom for LJ. 20# bag LJ for $9.99.

I picked up some lumberjack charcoal blend pellets and haven't used them yet anyone have any tips thought it would be great for brats and hamburgers maybe even some chicken

I have used a bunch of Pit Boss charcoal pellets without issue.

I picked up some lumberjack charcoal blend pellets and haven't used them yet anyone have any tips thought it would be great for brats and hamburgers maybe even some chicken
Some folks have reported problems with this one jamming their auger. I like LJ quite a bit, but I have never tried this particular one. It might be safer to toss it in a smoke tube.

I had nothing but problems with them, especially in the Bullseye. The pellets are extra long, some over 2.5” which causes bridging over the auger. I posted pictures of them here last year. recteq said to drop the bags 2-3 times to break them up, but still advised against using them. They feel that since they have already been burned once, they are more likely to start an auger fire.

I have used a bunch of Pit Boss charcoal pellets without issue.
The cowboy ones didn’t go good at all once they started moving into the auger. I believe the problem is the size difference. Some of them were almost the size of a crayon and some smaller than normal. That combined with being what i would say is a harder pellet caused it to jam multiple times before i vacuumed them all out

What do the char blends do for flavor? I always added wood to charcoal for flavor, so is adding charcoal to pellets a step backwards?
I've tried charcoal pellets without issue but the cook didn't taste like Weber charcoal grill.

Try using one of the charcoal based seasonings. Hardcore Carnivore Black is pretty good.
I was looking forward to the new royal oak “100% charcoal” pellets but after this not sure if I’ll want to spend the $ and it not be any good

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back