does it do hot n fast?

motsco

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. RT-680
I like to cook steaks hot and fast. non of that reverse sear crap.

anybody fired up a 380 and had successful hot and fast cook?

i have a 680 and 700 and they are terrible at cooking steaks.

is the 380 worth it for hot n fast cooks, or should i just keep using my weber kettle

thanks,
tom

Tom, YES, the only thing I'd recommend is a set of Grill Grates, in my opinion, they make "Hot & Fast" steaks easy and reliable on the Bullseye. We've varied our experiences between 450 & Riot depending on the cut of steak and the thickness, but in my opinion, the 380 can reliably do a successful hot and fast cook. OBTW, our 380 was purchased just to replace our "tried and true" Webber Kettle Grill.......

Just my 2₵....I have a Stampede and a kettle.
There are things that just belong in the kettle, steaks being one of those. You can't beat hot and fast over an open flame.
I love my smoker, but for hot and fast, I don't even look at my 590. (and I own a set of grill grates.)

Grill on!

Tom, YES, the only thing I'd recommend is a set of Grill Grates, in my opinion, they make "Hot & Fast" steaks easy and reliable on the Bullseye. We've varied our experiences between 450 & Riot depending on the cut of steak and the thickness, but in my opinion, the 380 can reliably do a successful hot and fast cook. OBTW, our 380 was purchased just to replace our "tried and true" Webber Kettle Grill.......
got any pics of hot n fast cooks?

i have plenty of grill grates is there a grate that can replace the factory grate that people are using?

thanks,
Tom

Just my 2₵....I have a Stampede and a kettle.
There are things that just belong in the kettle, steaks being one of those. You can't beat hot and fast over an open flame.
I love my smoker, but for hot and fast, I don't even look at my 590. (and I own a set of grill grates.)

Grill on!
I dont use my 680 or 700 for steaks or hot n fast, learned that lesson years ago. i even tried using grill grated on them was a waste of time. would be the same for a 590.

the bullseye from what i see is supposed to be more like a grill, the only thing i can find online is slow cooks on it or reverse sear crap. im looking to get a 380 for hot and fast and to try to stay pellet and not to have to keep buying charcoal.

thanks,
tom

I dont use my 680 or 700 for steaks or hot n fast, learned that lesson years ago. i even tried using grill grated on them was a waste of time. would be the same for a 590.

the bullseye from what i see is supposed to be more like a grill, the only thing i can find online is slow cooks on it or reverse sear crap. im looking to get a 380 for hot and fast and to try to stay pellet and not to have to keep buying charcoal.

thanks,
tom
I hear ya!
I considered the 380 for the same reasons, but never pulled the trigger.
Good luck.

Bullseye works awesome for steaks and you don't need sear grates. One less thing to clean.

I like to cook steaks hot and fast. non of that reverse sear crap.

anybody fired up a 380 and had successful hot and fast cook?

i have a 680 and 700 and they are terrible at cooking steaks.

is the 380 worth it for hot n fast cooks, or should i just keep using my weber kettle

thanks,
tom
I was thinking about getting the RT 380 Bullseye but was always too late ordering it and found them out of stock. As for now I just keep using my gasser with great results for cooks like this. Many have posted they love the RT380 Bullseye for these type of cooks.

I'm also debating dropping my 340 and picking up the bullseye. I been smoking so much with great results on the 340 but I can't do a typical steak hot and fast with it (340).

I had my bullseye up to 700 degrees the other day in riot mode in 15 minutes. I"m not sure what the max temp is as I did not have time to let it go any further. But it's now my go to for fast cooks. That said I still use my gas grill for searing steaks. Has the 1300 degree ceramic burners. And I love the 700 for the long and slow smoking cooks. Can't beat that wi-fi and the phone app.

What kind of temps are you cooking your stakes on a sear? I had my Bull up to 547 and it was still climbing when I turned it down. I didn't want to let it go much further.. figured that was enough for anything I toss at it. We have been enjoying the reverse sear but using the Weber gas unit for the final sear with the sear plates. Been coming out great.. very juicy.. happy wife is all I can say. She says this is the new method.

77D87E00-B7F5-44FC-9F64-75590DCDFCFD.jpeg

What kind of temps are you cooking your stakes on a sear? I had my Bull up to 547 and it was still climbing when I turned it down. I didn't want to let it go much further.. figured that was enough for anything I toss at it. We have been enjoying the reverse sear but using the Weber gas unit for the final sear with the sear plates. Been coming out great.. very juicy.. happy wife is all I can say. She says this is the new method.

View attachment 8013
my 700 and 680 get plenty hot. they just dont do steaks. thats why im asking if the b380 does steaks.
the reverse sear stuff it a waste of time for me . i want to be able to toss a cow on the grill and burn the outside and eat it medium rare .

like i said i have not found a video of somebody doing hot n fast beef on the b380 .

im trying to see if the 380 would be a good alternative to my weber kettle , ie not having to do the charcoal dance.

thanks,
Tom

my 700 and 680 get plenty hot. they just dont do steaks. thats why im asking if the b380 does steaks.
the reverse sear stuff it a waste of time for me . i want to be able to toss a cow on the grill and burn the outside and eat it medium rare .

like i said i have not found a video of somebody doing hot n fast beef on the b380 .

im trying to see if the 380 would be a good alternative to my weber kettle , ie not having to do the charcoal dance.

thanks,
Tom

I recognize all grills have select limitations however, part of the fun is taking my cooks to extremes that most people wouldn’t consider. Steaks are a great example. I have done competition level ribeyes, Spinalis Dorsi (Ribeye Cap), Filets, T-Bones and Porterhouse steaks, with my Bull set at Full (~550F) using the 2-2-2-2 method without grill grates and with GG’s at 640F using the 3-3 method and they were spectacular. I also have a dedicated steak oven with an 800F setting that can ruin the meat if you blink too long. During my lifetime I have been served great steaks off a $15.00 hibachi grill in Argentina, Japan, and Korea, that would put my $3,000 gasser to shame. IMHO, the tool has never been the problem. It‘s usually the crafstman (a.k.a., me). As an avid camper, I have also had great results with an oversized alcohol burning can that cost me $8.00, beans included. Am I missing something here or am I just lucky?

Edit: Just added a pic or two...

1609127840568.jpeg

1609127802403.jpeg

1609127886101.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back