Do you guys use riot mode 749 degrees and grill grates for steak?

Sutta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
With bullseyes scorching hot riot mode is it safe to use grill grates? Only make steaks and they stay on for 40 sec ea side.

Yes, I’ve used GrillGrates on riot mode, clocked over 940* with the IR gun. Having said that, I’ve pretty much stopped using riot mode as it’s just too much. IMO anything much over 650* on the sear grates and the grate marks have a nasty taste to them, so I sear at 500* and the GrillGrates hit that sweet spot for great taste and great sear.
D4E68581-3003-4A5B-AA55-40046FE09D90.jpeg

Yes, I’ve used GrillGrates on riot mode, clocked over 940* with the IR gun. Having said that, I’ve pretty much stopped using riot mode as it’s just too much. IMO anything much over 650* on the sear grates and the grate marks have a nasty taste to them, so I sear at 500* and the GrillGrates hit that sweet spot for great taste and great sear.
View attachment 9501
Thanks that’s good to know! I’ll keep it at 500, although I haven’t noticed bad taste with them on riot with the few steaks I’ve made.

Thanks that’s good to know! I’ll keep it at 500, although I haven’t noticed bad taste with them on riot with the few steaks I’ve made.
’Nasty taste’ was a poor choice of words on my part. The steaks cooked this hot are still delicious, but there is a bitterness I can detect in the char.

Agreed, I've noticed this as well. 500 degrees is the max temp for me.

Any special procedures for charcoal grills?

Wait to place GrillGrates after the coals are burned down, ready to grill, and preheat for 10-15 minutes. Otherwise you will burn off all of your seasoning. NOTE: Aluminum melts at 1125°. Most grills top out at 700-800°. Most charcoal purists are Weber or Green Egg aficionados who understand heat control well. GrillGrates functionality is the same for charcoal grills. Food is protected from charring flare-ups and good juices sizzle just below the food for noticeably juicer more tender meats – particularly chicken and pork. If you are a high- heat charcoal griller you will love the way GrillGrates sear a steak while protecting it from drying out and charring. NOTE: You will be able to do more direct (rather than indirect) grilling with GrillGrates on charcoal grills.

Will my grill run hotter with GrillGrates?

Yes. Most grills typically run 100-150° degrees hotter at the cooking surface than the air in the hood. GrillGrates will be hotter still. Kamado grills run 200-300° hotter at the surface, gas grills 100-200° hotter and pellet grills you can expect to see about 100° hotter. Aluminum is a superb conductor of heat smoothing out hot spots and cold spots and focusing the heat of the grill to the raised rails. Adjust grill temps downward and use less fuel.

I've never had any luck with grill grates. The other day I broke out my old Weber Charcoal grill. I love my Bullseye; But if you are going to spend $$$ on a nice steak. The Bullseye doesn't do them justice.

I've never had any luck with grill grates. The other day I broke out my old Weber Charcoal grill. I love my Bullseye; But if you are going to spend $$$ on a nice steak. The Bullseye doesn't do them justice.
I wasn't expecting to like the Grill Grates but I was pleasantly surprised.
I will more than likely get rid of the cast iron grate I purchased.

I considered buying the Grill Grates; But, I just couldn't justify the price.
I love them imo I use flat side mainly other than with steaks. The fact that you said the bullseye doesn’t do a good steak justice is insane imo. You must be doing something wrong, I suck at bbqing but reverse searing a ribeye on the bullseye is insanely good. I would put my steak up against any top steakhouses I’ve been to SW, Ruth’s, Vic&Anthy, etc.

In a side-by-side comparison the Bullseye can't hold the 700 deg temperature with the top open. I think that is why grill grates work so well in the Bullseye. The grates retain the heat. The magic number on my Charcoal grill is around 2 minutes a side on a nice T-Bone. That gives me a medium rare steak.

I look at my Bullseye as a smoker that can occasionally be used as a grill. Hotdogs, Hamburgers, etc. I'm lucky to have access to local, fresh Coby Steaks . I also cook a Tomahawk from time to time. These cuts of meat need an incredibly intense amount of heat for a very short amount of time. The Bullseye does a good job of being a Jack-of-all-Trades. But, if you have $100.00 worth of steak on the grill; That's not the time to use a grill that does an, "OK" job of grilling.

In a side-by-side comparison the Bullseye can't hold the 700 deg temperature with the top open. I think that is why grill grates work so well in the Bullseye. The grates retain the heat. The magic number on my Charcoal grill is around 2 minutes a side on a nice T-Bone. That gives me a medium rare steak.

I look at my Bullseye as a smoker that can occasionally be used as a grill. Hotdogs, Hamburgers, etc. I'm lucky to have access to local, fresh Coby Steaks . I also cook a Tomahawk from time to time. These cuts of meat need an incredibly intense amount of heat for a very short amount of time. The Bullseye does a good job of being a Jack-of-all-Trades. But, if you have $100.00 worth of steak on the grill; That's not the time to use a grill that does an, "OK" job of grilling.
I can’t even leave a steak on riot mode on grill for over a minute or it’s over cooked. All I’m saying is I could never go back to charcoal grill to cook a steak. I spend $40 a pound on ribeyes and nobody has had a better steak. 2 minutes each side on bullseye will char and burn my steaks it’s too hot on riot.

With bullseyes scorching hot riot mode is it safe to use grill grates? Only make steaks and they stay on for 40 sec ea side.
I was the first one to respond to this thread stating that I’ve used an old, beat-up set of GrillGrates with riot mode. I’ve since dropped back to not exceeding 500* for anything. Today I was looking at the paperwork that came with a new set of GrillGrates, and it indicates that max surface temp should be under 850*. I exceeded that by 90*+ with the old set, so use them on Riot mode with caution.
5FC16473-F278-4552-BE03-D7F64090690C.jpeg

I can’t even leave a steak on riot mode on grill for over a minute or it’s over cooked. All I’m saying is I could never go back to charcoal grill to cook a steak. I spend $40 a pound on ribeyes and nobody has had a better steak. 2 minutes each side on bullseye will char and burn my steaks it’s too hot on riot.
Maybe, It's just my Bullseye. I run it on Riot mode and let it heat up for about 20 minutes. It won't get up above 650. That's plenty hot. But, once I open the lid the temperature drops over 100 degrees.

When I first got it, I could have swore it got over 700 degrees.

Riot mode for me is way too hot and uncontrolled. Like others, 500 degrees is enough for me.

There is a video I think on Y0utube where a guy cooks a tomahawk steak in riot mode, the steak is burned up and he's upset, so I stay away.

I am rather new to the pellet grill world and I am not really sure what the riot mode is that everyone talks about. Could someone please explain it to me.

I am rather new to the pellet grill world and I am not really sure what the riot mode is that everyone talks about. Could someone please explain it to me.
Hi temp feature of the Bullseye.

I love them imo I use flat side mainly other than with steaks. The fact that you said the bullseye doesn’t do a good steak justice is insane imo. You must be doing something wrong, I suck at bbqing but reverse searing a ribeye on the bullseye is insanely good. I would put my steak up against any top steakhouses I’ve been to SW, Ruth’s, Vic&Anthy, etc.
REVERSE SEAR FOR LIFE!!! My bullseye reverse sear steaks then RIOT mode to sear are amazing. I debating on the GG for the bullseye. I use the bull more than my 700.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back