Do you clean your cook chamber temp probe ?

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I was watching a few videos this morning and one showed cleaning the cook chamber temp probe. My guess is it had some type of solvent on it as it cleaned off very fast. OK, I admit it was a treager video I was bored !!!!

Does a really dirty temp probe effect chamber readouts ????

Wipe it with either alcohol wipe or vinegar rag. Doesn't need to be spotless, but better to clean occasionally than getting a large buildup and can't get it clean.

I think a temp probe with grease buildup would negatively impact it's ability to properly give temp readings. I clean mine when I vacuum/clean the inside of my smoker. I use one of the soft scrub pads. I sometimes use a degreaser but ensure I rinse/wipe with a clean/water soaked paper towel to get any chemical residue off. I don't try to clean it spick and span but I don't want the crud too thick on it.

Frankly, I think the effect of buildup will just result in a lag. But, that could affect the pellet feed/control, possibly leading to more variability of temperature. It would have to be significant buildup, IMO. I would think an occasional scrubbing off the buildup should be enough. That's what I do.

This question was asked to the recteq chefs on one of the YouTube videos and they said never.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back