Bull Do people grill in the rain?

mdsmoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Going to be cold and a little rainy here in MD this weekend, but I really want to break in the brand new RT-700 with pulled pork. This is my first smoker, so this is a new owner question: Do people use their Bulls in the rain? I'd always avoid using my gas grill in the rain as you really have to stand by it and tend it and I guess the Bull is way different. If you do use it in the rain, do you do anything special, like cover the controls?

Last edited:
I spent my Christmas eve in the rain, yes, normal for me.

Keep water out of the controls!

Yes, but there's a "roof" over it. (this is before I got the Stampede, which took the place of the WSM)

IMG_20200617_160129.jpg

I have a portable 10'x10' that I cook under. I used to set it up when I knew it was going to rain, however I have since put some heavy duty wheels on it to move it around when need be. It stays up all the time now. Keeps things, and me, dry when it's not all that great outside.

We just finished cooking a small delicious pork butt in pouring rain. The Bull never missed a beat in the 6 hours it was cooking. But the Bull is on our covered patio/porch.

We just finished cooking a small delicious pork butt in pouring rain. The Bull never missed a beat in the 6 hours it was cooking. But the Bull is on our covered patio/porch.
I have a covered area outside that stays 95% dry. I'm doing a pork butt tomorrow and we're supposed to have "severe weather" tomorrow. I never trust the weather folks but the boss tells me I'm smoking to I have no choice but to follow the queens orders.

How'd you get yours done in 6 hours? That seems a bit fast. I'm thinking my 8 lber will be about 10.

Mine is on my deck about 5 ft from my garage service door. I got through my garage and quickly put stuff on the grill(s) and/or check the status and then hop back in. If it's downpour I generally avoid grilling. Not a fan of holding an umbrella while cooking.

No such luck, mines about 40' out in the yard, find the smoke from it bothers us sitting out on the deck in better weather. I did cover it with a Clam popup screen room during some very stormy weather, thing still smells of Q.

Yes, but I have several semi covered areas depending on wind and multiple grilling options. We live off grilling .. could not imagine trying to plan on dinners without. What do people do when it rains? I would starve :).

I have a covered area outside that stays 95% dry. I'm doing a pork butt tomorrow and we're supposed to have "severe weather" tomorrow. I never trust the weather folks but the boss tells me I'm smoking to I have no choice but to follow the queens orders.

How'd you get yours done in 6 hours? That seems a bit fast. I'm thinking my 8 lber will be about 10.
Mine was only 4 lbs

As long as you keep the hopper cover closed and not open to the rain, you will be good. As Carplnferi says, no rain, sleet, snow or darkness of nigh will stop your cook. Actually the biggest threat is high winds or really high temps in the summer. Enjoy that 700 and the great meals you will create on it.

Yes, but I have several semi covered areas depending on wind and multiple grilling options. We live off grilling .. could not imagine trying to plan on dinners without. What do people do when it rains? I would starve :).
The gasser is on the deck right outside the door. It's the fallback when I can't use the RT or the kettle.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back