Bullseye Do most users unplug their Bullseye after use?

kstone113

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
My Bullseye is I believe 3 years old in July. I've had 2 igniters blow since I've gotten my Bullseye but both times was due to a power outage. After the first time, I upgraded my outside outlet to include a breaker but obviously that didn't stop the igniter from being blow.

I did call CS and they are shipping out a new igniter and waiver the shipping charge which was nice of them. I asked if most people unplug their unit when not in use and he did say that's what he does. I am going to start doing that but was curious if this is what most people do. My dad got his Bullseye I think like 2 weeks after I got mine and has yet to blow an igniter but his power at his house rarely goes out.

What are you describing as the ‘ignitor? The original Bullseyes (gen 1 & 2) don’t have the capability to turn themselves on remotely. If you have an outside outlet that is not GFCI, that is a different conversation. None of this is a problem with recteq technology.

What are you describing as the ‘ignitor? The original Bullseyes (gen 1 & 2) don’t have the capability to turn themselves on remotely. If you have an outside outlet that is not GFCI, that is a different conversation. None of this is a problem with recteq technology.
No, they do not. I've just always kept it plugged in. Why? I'm not sure....I guess I learned the hard. I'm horrible with electricity terminology but I believe I have what you mean by GFCI....in dumb terms, I have the outlet that has the reset button on the power outlet itself.

If you have an outdoor outlet that the Bullseye is plugged into, then it is a GFCI outlet unless the electrical contractor, and local inspector, disregarded that requirement. The reset button should ‘fix’ the issue. Still not sure what/how it is possible to ‘blow’ the ignitor? Couldn’t hurt to keep in unplugged when not in use, but, I’m not sure that addresses your situation.

My Bullseye is I believe 3 years old in July. I've had 2 igniters blow since I've gotten my Bullseye but both times was due to a power outage. After the first time, I upgraded my outside outlet to include a breaker but obviously that didn't stop the igniter from being blow.

I did call CS and they are shipping out a new igniter and waiver the shipping charge which was nice of them. I asked if most people unplug their unit when not in use and he did say that's what he does. I am going to start doing that but was curious if this is what most people do. My dad got his Bullseye I think like 2 weeks after I got mine and has yet to blow an igniter but his power at his house rarely goes out.
Mine stays plugged in, all of the time. My outside plug is a GFCI plug, so I do not worry about it much. As was stated above, there is no way for the Bulls-Eye to start up, all by itself. Not that "Smart".

If you have an outdoor outlet that the Bullseye is plugged into, then it is a GFCI outlet unless the electrical contractor, and local inspector, disregarded that requirement. The reset button should ‘fix’ the issue. Still not sure what/how it is possible to ‘blow’ the ignitor? Couldn’t hurt to keep in unplugged when not in use, but, I’m not sure that addresses your situation.
I'm not exactly sure either but my hypothesis is when the power goes out, if the GFCI breaker on the outlet doesn't break before the power flowing the grill, in my experience, it blows the igniter.

I've had this happen at 2 homes I've lived in and both times when I originally bought each house, the outside outlet was just your basic outlet with no breaker on the outlet itself. I believe that is what GFCI means but again, I'm not educated that much and admit I'm kind of clueless. If someone talks talking IT talk, then I'm in the game lol

Every igniter I've had go on either my Bull or Bullseye has happened after power outages. This past one, I did have the Bull and Bullseye plugged into the same outside outlet but only my Bullseye's igniter blew. Like I said before, this will be my third igniter in less than 3 years so yeah, regardless of how or what caused it, I am going to just start unplugging my Bullseye because there is really no value in leaving it plugged in unlike my Bull to where if I want to start up from my phone, I can though since I use my Bullseye primarily, I rarely do that with my Bull.
The RecTeq CS said he unplugs and I just wanted to get a sense of what others do. I love the grill and my dad and I just talked my brother into getting a Bullseye replacing his 13 year old Weber Genesis.

I unplug unless using the next day. Never an issue with WiFi from unplugging. Issue with RT servers is another topic rated TV-MA due to explicit colorful metaphors. 🤔

I should add I do not have a 380, rather a 700. My SNL has a 380 and unplugs.

Last edited:
I unplug all my outdoor stuff when not in use. Too many unexpected things can happen and over the years, I’ve experienced most of them. High-voltage spikes can occur as a result of lightning strikes miles away as well as from power poles being knocked down by cars/trucks. Simple short-circuits can occur in things that appear to be in good condition. The list goes on.

My theory is that it hurts nothing to unplug stuff and doing so gives me peace-of-mind. So, why not do it? I can’t find anything that I would gain by leaving outdoor stuff plugged in when it is not in use, especially here in the soggy Pacific Northwest.

In a somewhat related topic with regard to GFI/GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) breakers, etc., there is a new variety of breaker that is no also being installed. I think it started in about 2010. This is the AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter). It senses arcing and electrical leakage in a circuit. We discovered them in the house we just bought. And, some of the first versions were problematic, throwing “nuisance” breaks that were well below the threshold where they were supposed to open the circuit. We have had to replace two AFCI breakers already in the new house due to “nuisance” breaks.

And…wait for it…there are also combination AFCI/GFCI breakers that provide the best—and worst—features of both types. Now, these are definitely safety-related items and I am not recommending they not be used; just wanting to help fill in the electrical knowledge base for those of us who are not electricians.

I think it started in about 2010. This is the AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter). It senses arcing and electrical leakage in a circuit. We discovered them in the house we just bought. And, some of the first versions were problematic, throwing “nuisance” breaks that were well below the threshold where they were supposed to open the circuit. We have had to replace two AFCI breakers already in the new house due to “nuisance” breaks.
Arc fault, as a required resource in bedrooms, started before 2010. We bought our home in 2007, and the inspector said that the breakers in the bedrooms needed to be replaced with AF per NEC standards. The circuits we have are so lame that they trip if we plug the vacuum in an outlet in the bedrooms.

I unplug all my outdoor stuff when not in use. Too many unexpected things can happen and over the years, I’ve experienced most of them. High-voltage spikes can occur as a result of lightning strikes miles away as well as from power poles being knocked down by cars/trucks. Simple short-circuits can occur in things that appear to be in good condition. The list goes on.

My theory is that it hurts nothing to unplug stuff and doing so gives me peace-of-mind. So, why not do it? I can’t find anything that I would gain by leaving outdoor stuff plugged in when it is not in use, especially here in the soggy Pacific Northwest.

In a somewhat related topic with regard to GFI/GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) breakers, etc., there is a new variety of breaker that is no also being installed. I think it started in about 2010. This is the AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter). It senses arcing and electrical leakage in a circuit. We discovered them in the house we just bought. And, some of the first versions were problematic, throwing “nuisance” breaks that were well below the threshold where they were supposed to open the circuit. We have had to replace two AFCI breakers already in the new house due to “nuisance” breaks.

And…wait for it…there are also combination AFCI/GFCI breakers that provide the best—and worst—features of both types. Now, these are definitely safety-related items and I am not recommending they not be used; just wanting to help fill in the electrical knowledge base for those of us who are not electricians.
Thanks Jim for the reply. I'm definitely sold on unplugging going forward.

Arc fault, as a required resource in bedrooms, started before 2010. We bought our home in 2007, and the inspector said that the breakers in the bedrooms needed to be replaced with AF per NEC standards. The circuits we have are so lame that they trip if we plug the vacuum in an outlet in the bedrooms.
I was just guessing at the date, @Greg Jones. Our former home was built in 2003 and AFCIs were not required at that time. Sorry you are having issues with yours; they are very sensitive to a bunch of stuff; hence, the “nuisance” trip moniker. Our new place has Eaton breakers and, from what I’ve heard, they have had more AFCI issues than Square D (which I would really prefer).

If I have too many issues, I will have the panel replaced with a Square D and Square D breakers. An electrician told me that it was not allowable to just put a different brand breaker in a panel, even if it would fit. Not sure how true that is, but that‘s what he claimed.

If I have too many issues, I will have the panel replaced with a Square D and Square D breakers. An electrician told me that it was not allowable to just put a different brand breaker in a panel, even if it would fit. Not sure how true that is, but that‘s what he claimed.
That’s my understanding as well. I’m not current on NEC code today, but shortly after moving here, I wired my 1,400 sq ft wood shop myself, adding a sub-panel with (4) 240-volt circuits and (6) 120-volt circuits. The lights were wired to the main panel so that I can flip the switch on the sub-panel to cut the power to all machinery and yet still have power to the lights. All Square-D!

All I needed to have farmed out was having an electrician come in and sign off on the work to get codes approval. At the time, there was some head-scratching requirements in the NEC code book, probably still is today!

Last edited:
I have had my Bullseye for some five years now. I always unplug once I know there's no burn back in the auger chute and I don't have to advance the auger anymore to clear any smoldering pellets at the auger tip. It may be just coincidence that you had two ignitors go out, but I would check how high your voltage output is reading at the outlet. That may be of some concern. It's worth checking anyways for giggles.

Yes, this is correct. The new type arc faults which are in the breaker box can’t handle my bullseye. I had to get an electrician to take that out the breaker box and install and old style GFCI receptacle outside. BTW, I always unplug my grill when not in use.

I'm not exactly sure either but my hypothesis is when the power goes out, if the GFCI breaker on the outlet doesn't break before the power flowing the grill, in my experience, it blows the igniter.

I've had this happen at 2 homes I've lived in and both times when I originally bought each house, the outside outlet was just your basic outlet with no breaker on the outlet itself. I believe that is what GFCI means but again, I'm not educated that much and admit I'm kind of clueless. If someone talks talking IT talk, then I'm in the game lol

Every igniter I've had go on either my Bull or Bullseye has happened after power outages. This past one, I did have the Bull and Bullseye plugged into the same outside outlet but only my Bullseye's igniter blew. Like I said before, this will be my third igniter in less than 3 years so yeah, regardless of how or what caused it, I am going to just start unplugging my Bullseye because there is really no value in leaving it plugged in unlike my Bull to where if I want to start up from my phone, I can though since I use my Bullseye primarily, I rarely do that with my Bull.
The RecTeq CS said he unplugs and I just wanted to get a sense of what others do. I love the grill and my dad and I just talked my brother into getting a Bullseye replacing his 13 year old Weber Genesis.
I am NOT a certified electrician. However, my education is in electronics engineering technology and a good bit of my career has been working with systems of many sorts. With the issues you’re having, keep the unit unplugged. If you still encounter this problem, you should check to see if that outlet, and/or others in your home, are having power surges or sags that could be impacting your situation. That said, if the situation were that bad, I’d have to believe you are having other issues with the electronics in your home.

I recommend getting a certified electrician to check on your home’s power if you are not absolutely confident in your knowledge and ability to do it yourself. Safety is paramount.

In general, I unplug my RT-700 after each use because I wheel it back inside my porch or garage. I’m just not comfortable having something outside plugged in that could be messed with…by my grandkids, neighbor kids, or even a pet/animal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back