Dismal Ribs Results

That thermometer was your problem. For ribs, keep the thermometer in the drawer. Ribs is done when they're done.

If you're doing baby backs, you can foil when you feel you've got good bark and smoke (3-4 hours at 225F) Spares are forgiving and will be more moist, so you can easily go straight thru without foiling at temps from 225 to 300F. Just remember that a pellet grill makes less and less smoke as the temperature goes up. St. Lous at 225F could take over 7hrs. to get tender.

Tender is what you're looking for. Your first indication is the rib bones start sticking out (meat pulling back). I grab them and try to twist them a bit, pick up the rack (gently) and see if it's really flexible. The bones should twist a bit out of the meat. After a few times you can get a feel for it without pulling a bone out, but just moving it side to side and flexing the rack. For your first few, go ahead and pull a bone or break the rack.

Once they are tender, you can think about putting sauce on them and let it "tighten up" on the smoker for 15-30 minutes.
OK, I will go by this next time. So just to confirm what I am doing for my baby backs next time:

1. Cook naked for 3 hours
2. Put on foil with juice.
3. Cook in the foil for 1.5 hours. Check ribs for tenderness as instructed.
4. If not ready, check every 30 minutes (Or how often?)
5. When ready, take off the foil, put on BBQ sauce and throw it back on 15-30 more min

Does that sound like a good plan?

Yep that is some good advice. I ditched the 3-2-1 and wrapping on spareribs recently just to see how it would work. At 6 straight hours on 225 with just a few quick apple juice / apple cider vinegar spritzes they were great. We did not even bother with sauce at the end. A couple folks used a bit at the table.

OK, I will go by this next time. So just to confirm what I am doing for my baby backs next time:

5. When ready, take off the foil, put on BBQ sauce and throw it back on 15-30 more min

I typically don't add fluid to the foil but I'm not a good cook either.

To be clear, a little more detail on how I do my baby backs.
Apply rub (you can use a binder like mustard, mayo, etc, or just apply the rub direct). Place them on the pre-heated grill at your selected temperature (I've done ribs at up to 375F, but a pellet grill doesn't make enough smoke for my tastes at that temp, so I recomend 225-250F).

After the ribs have been on 1 1/2 - 2 hours, they may begin to look dry and crusted with rub. This is the time to spritz/baste. I like to use a baste with a fat and a bit of sugar to assist the building of bark. I also like to add more flavor at this opportunity. So, my baste is loosely 2 cups of apple juice, 3 tablespoons of rub, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, heat to blend the flavors. Baste/spritz 2 or 3 times, 20 to 30 mins apart. You can stop basting when you see the surface start to form a moist bark.

Let it form a dark caramel color before you wrap with foil, pink butcher paper, or place in foil covered large aluminum tray (I like the disposible trays, since it eliminates the possibility of a hole that allows fluid to escape and dry out the ribs). You can add a little (1/2 cup is enough for 3 racks) fluid here. Apple juice or beer, etc., or just water works. Some people like to put butter or Parkay on here and some brown sugar. I go with the juice water or beer.

Put the wrapped (or trayed and covered) ribs back on the heat. If at 225F, check them starting around 45 mins for tenderness. Look for bones protruding and do some pull and twist tests for tenderness. Break out a bone or two if you aren't sure. It's a good way to learn some about tenderness and you'll learn you don't need to break them out after some experience. You should feel like the you can't pick up a rack by one end without it breaking apart in one place, (but not fall apart all over). Cover them back up if not to your liking. Go for slightly underdone here, but not by much, because you're still cooking for another 45-60 mins.

Remove wrapping and place on the grill, let them cook for 20-30 minutes (225-250F). If you like sauce on your ribs, now is the time to apply your favorite sauce, then let it cook another 15-30 minutes to "tighten up". Remove and you can serve them right away or let them cool a bit to make it easier to cut individually. IMO, ribs don't need a rest to prevent loss of cell moisture.

Best of luck. Remember each piece of meat is unique and bbq isn't a perfect science, but a blend of science and art. Start with numbers for time and temperature like above, then adjust based on your observations. Have fun with it.

I've been using this recipe for several years. So good wife is asking for them every two weeks now. Not fall off the bone, but I prefer a little tug with my ribs. Follow exactly and you wont be disappointed.

https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe

This is what you can expect the finished product to look like!
Trying this technique right now. We had to slabs of spare ribs that needed to be cooked so on the Bull they went at 12:45 today. I like a drier rib with some pull to it. Hoping to get in the neighborhood of the famous (around here) Dexter, MO Hickory Log ribs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back