Did you know that these things make horrible boats ?

SmokeOCD

They are SO NOT Waterproof!!! It's maybe something you don't consider when buying a grill, never really crossed my mind. I just pulled off the short ribs, during a considerable rain. Luckily I wrapped (actually covered aluminum pan) - I had to dump water into the sink off the aluminum pan.
I don't think there are any full welds - everything is just tac-welded, so any seams - anywhere one piece of metal meets another is a potential entryway for rain into your grill, onto your food. I thought about keeping the grill running - so it dries itself out. Looking at the weather maps we've got rain until 2 or 3 am here, so I'm not doing that. If enough gets in, it should overflow my grease catch nicely. So I may be washing and hosing down the grill tomorrow.

I don't really think there is a remedy for this outside of don't grill in the rain. Kind of like don't expect notifications on weekends and holidays; we work around it.

That is horrible, sounds like it needs to be re-sealed with some high temp caulking.

It's not RE-sealing though, it was never sealed.

As I predicted - overflowing grease catch, griddle holding water as well - I've dumped out the grease cocktail and am running the grill now to dry it and the griddle and sear plates out. Then wash it down - and re-season the griddle. I used to think that was a safe spot(in the grill) to store something big and greasy to keep it clean and dry. I've got the LARGE one, tried the oven a week or so ago as a place to hide it while grilling - can't close the oven door (3/4 close only).

Point of the post though - is for the people about to purchase a Recteq. I actually still like the grill, just pointing out one of it's greater flaws. Could just be a 590/1070 problem because of the shape of the drum and the top being flat. Anyone else ever get soggy bbq?

Reactions: Kim
I have a 340 and cook in the rain once in awhile without problems. I do have to cover the smoke holes in the back, never did get those little rain diverters.

They are SO NOT Waterproof!!! It's maybe something you don't consider when buying a grill, never really crossed my mind. I just pulled off the short ribs, during a considerable rain. Luckily I wrapped (actually covered aluminum pan) - I had to dump water into the sink off the aluminum pan.
I don't think there are any full welds - everything is just tac-welded, so any seams - anywhere one piece of metal meets another is a potential entryway for rain into your grill, onto your food. I thought about keeping the grill running - so it dries itself out. Looking at the weather maps we've got rain until 2 or 3 am here, so I'm not doing that. If enough gets in, it should overflow my grease catch nicely. So I may be washing and hosing down the grill tomorrow.

I don't really think there is a remedy for this outside of don't grill in the rain. Kind of like don't expect notifications on weekends and holidays; we work around it.
My notifications still aren't working. Again. Also those leaky seams will leak grease onto your deck or concrete.

@goldmanaz let RecTeq know their grill is leaking on your pavers (you may have to send pictures). They should send you a grill mat. They told me they would send me one if my Bullseye leaked. They should sell a grill that doesn’t leak at all but at least you shouldn’t have to pay for a mat if your new grill does leak.

I have a 340 and cook in the rain once in awhile without problems. I do have to cover the smoke holes in the back, never did get those little rain diverters.
I’ve got those diverters for that reason. Also for cold and/or windy days where I live in NW Iowa. They also look cool like they’re suppose to be there

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back