DELIVERY DAY!!

whta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
OK, so the SEFL guy was nice and put it in my garage, as it's an overcast day here. He was quick to point to the damage to the extra shelf box on top, but I looked and there was no damage. However, as I began to unbox the rest, I noticed the big box had a tear in one corner. Upon further investigation, I have a scrape about 3/4 of an inch long in the upper left of the coated door. Doesn't appear to be dented, just scraped.

What has been the experience of others in terms of - should I call the mother ship? Is it a rust problem? Or is it "merely a flesh wound" (Monty Python reference)

Pic below

IMG_2511.jpg

@Threadcutter nailed it; ask Recteq for some touch-up paint. They may also send you a rubs-and-sauces package for your trouble. Trying to get RT to fix a scratch would be a whole lot more trouble than fixing it yourself.

Good luck with your new grill; you will enjoy it. And, be sure to post your experiences, photos of your cooks, ask questions here, etc.

@Threadcutter nailed it; ask Recteq for some touch-up paint. They may also send you a rubs-and-sauces package for your trouble. Trying to get RT to fix a scratch would be a whole lot more trouble than fixing it yourself.

Good luck with your new grill; you will enjoy it. And, be sure to post your experiences, photos of your cooks, ask questions here, etc.
Honestly might even be able to squeeze a bit more out of them! I leveraged that and a dent and got the paint and a free folding front shelf for my troubles. Whats the worst that can happen? They say no?

Honestly might even be able to squeeze a bit more out of them! I leveraged that and a dent and got the paint and a free folding front shelf for my troubles. Whats the worst that can happen? They say no?
There’s sometimes a fine line between being fairly treated and taking advantage. With a single scratch (as documented by the OP), getting the matching touch-up paint should be expected. If they offer anything more, that would be a nice gesture of customer appreciation. In my book, asking for anything more than the touch-up paint comes perilously close to taking advantage. YMMV

There’s sometimes a fine line between being fairly treated and taking advantage. With a single scratch (as documented by the OP), getting the matching touch-up paint should be expected. If they offer anything more, that would be a nice gesture of customer appreciation. In my book, asking for anything more than the touch-up paint comes perilously close to taking advantage. YMMV
The price difference between a box of rubs and sauces at 90 bucks and the shelf at 110 is negligible imo. Either way I see your point, just would rather ask for something that is more useful that is 20 bucks more than take a 90 dollar box of rubs and sauces that will sit on a shelf for a year and a half. Dont have to call demanding, but when I gave the explanation I wrote above, Recteq had no issues sending the shelf in place of a box of rubs. Just my perspective/experience.

The price difference between a box of rubs and sauces at 90 bucks and the shelf at 110 is negligible imo. Either way I see your point, just would rather ask for something that is more useful that is 20 bucks more than take a 90 dollar box of rubs and sauces that will sit on a shelf for a year and a half. Dont have to call demanding, but when I gave the explanation I wrote above, Recteq had no issues sending the shelf in place of a box of rubs. Just my perspective/experience.
I think it is reasonable to make that request if you are offered something that you probably won’t use. No problem. (y)

And, if nothing is offered and a package of rubs and sauces should arrive unannounced, I would have no problem with a call to RT asking “could I return the rubs and sauces with a $20 bill in exchange for a folding front shelf?” My guess is, RT would probably say “OK, return the rubs and sauce package, but we don’t want the $20 bill; we’ll send you the shelf.” They might even send the shelf and say “please keep the rubs and sauces.”

We’re on the same page here; if something is offered, it is fair to negotiate. My concern was being careful not to suggest that if someone finds a scratch on their new grill, they are “owed” something more than touch-up paint. And, I didn’t think you were suggesting that. I think we’re good here.

From my experience when I worked at Apple, they only gave free stuff to the people who complained the loudest. I didn’t like that the passive people that called in with the same issue and were being nice got nothing and the rude loudmouthed idiots got a free year subscription. I’m not saying to call and complain, just saying that from my personal experience in life dealing with companies, making a legitimate complaint about something, such as not properly packaging their product well enough to be basically paying full-price for a now “scratch and dent” RecTeq, might make it worth your while to call and let them know that they need to throw a $.25 piece of styrofoam over those exposed areas and hopefully they understand that if you try and re-sell it, it already has a scratch on it and it hasn’t even been used. It depends on how you feel about it, if you see that scratch every time you grill and it pisses you off, I’d call in. If you put touch-up paint on it and it doesn’t bother you, then its all good. My thought is that if you went to buy a RecTeq in a store and saw that it had a scratch on it, you’d ask for a different one. Just my thoughts on it, but them trying to make it right by saying “sorry” would be good customer service.

Thanks Jim, appreciated :)

I was just dovetailing on top of @BradBQ's post. So really, he deserves the credit for his common sense post :)(y)

I know it's just a small scratch, but I'm totally OCD when it comes to that stuff - drives my wife nuts. But when I spend that much money on a product, and it shows up damaged, I just can't ever unsee it, even after slapping on some touch-up. And it seems that RT shippers have a history of being careless with these things. So, I don't know if I'd settle for a bottle of touch-up paint, some hot sauce and call it good... but hey, that's just me.

I know it's just a small scratch, but I'm totally OCD when it comes to that stuff - drives my wife nuts. But when I spend that much money on a product, and it shows up damaged, I just can't ever unsee it, even after slapping on some touch-up. And it seems that RT shippers have a history of being careless with these things. So, I don't know if I'd settle for a bottle of touch-up paint, some hot sauce and call it good... but hey, that's just me.
I get it, I'm that way too on some things. Keep in mind that the grill is going to get smoke/grease stains and a bit of weathering (if left out in the elements).

I think that in short order, you will be the only person that even knows there is a repainted scratch. I've had those kinds of situations before, and in some cases, even I have forgotten all about them.

I dont think it is out of line at all to ask for a little comp item to go with the paint. Simply sending touch up paint is their cheap way to fix the damage, vs sending out a new grill or lid. So RecTeq is taking the cheap way to fix their final mile contract delivery service or manufacturer.

When you pay full price for the grill, you dont pay full price for the grill and some touch up that needs to be done. And it wont look the same after its painted. Regardless if it gets dirty, you paid for new, not like new.

Rubs cost them pennies on the dollar so even them sending you 5 rubs will cost as much in shipping than the cost of product. Its the least they can do with you agreeing to do the touchup yourself and not making a bigger fuss.

They are a for profit business, the owners enjoy private jets, hunting lodges, and a beautiful facility in Georgia, and now Utah. Point is, this isnt a mom and pop store, this is a large corporation and them making it right with some comp items should be expected. IMO

Hey, just ask them to send you a new Door and a return Label for your messed-up one
I'm with the others on this:
Maybe hint at some sort of "Freebee", but don't push it
A few free Cooking Mats would put a Smile on my Face :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back