Bull Deflector shield Mod

Cooper2u

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I decided to do another modification my Bull which was to beef up the bottom of deflector shield. This came about to hopefully resolve the warping issue I see that people are having and in which mine had to be straightened out once. So I decided to purchase new deflector shield and I had cut a piece of 3/16” stainless to the dimensions of 12 7/8” x 9” and had a good friend of mine tig weld it to the bottom of the deflector shield. Now this should not twist ever again. I rarely go over 300 degrees just because I still like to use my grill for my foods that need searing. I am planning on breaking it in and just give it a ramp up to max temp and shut smoker off for faster cool down because this is where I think the warping mostly occurs. I’ll follow up with results.

Attachments

• AFDAE6AA-40B0-4519-805C-0107A5E9DA11.jpeg
    AFDAE6AA-40B0-4519-805C-0107A5E9DA11.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 196
  • 73C1DACF-D2B7-44E1-AE07-E95FECA8D8AD.jpeg
    73C1DACF-D2B7-44E1-AE07-E95FECA8D8AD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 145
  • 8161232B-BA79-4160-9B9B-DC61AA076C64.jpeg
    8161232B-BA79-4160-9B9B-DC61AA076C64.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131
That looks like that should do the trick!
Best Greg

Nice fix, I've done many cooks and some at super high heat and haven't had the deflector shield warp yet, ok I just jinx my self. :unsure: ? :oops:

I decided to do another modification my Bull which was to beef up the bottom of deflector shield. This came about to hopefully resolve the warping issue I see that people are having and in which mine had to be straightened out once. So I decided to purchase new deflector shield and I had cut a piece of 3/16” stainless to the dimensions of 12 7/8” x 9” and had a good friend of mine tig weld it to the bottom of the deflector shield. Now this should not twist ever again. I rarely go over 300 degrees just because I still like to use my grill for my foods that need searing. I am planning on breaking it in and just give it a ramp up to max temp and shut smoker off for faster cool down because this is where I think the warping mostly occurs. I’ll follow up with results.
So wouldn’t carbon steel plate do as well?

Was the 12 7/8 dimension tight, any extra space? I debating if I should go with 12 3/4 like this guy with a bit space for expansion? https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/heat-deflector-mod-improvement-etc.4194/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back