Bull Definitely Cook to Temp Not Time

JamesB

First time trying a brisket on my RT-700. As a new experiment with the grill/smoker I didn’t want to ruin a ton of brisket so I went with a 3.5 lb flat. Cooking to “time” based on weight would’ve suggested about 5 hours right?

Started it on extreme smoke (180 degrees) at 10:00 am. Gave that 4 hours with about a 60 degree rise in internal temp.

So I moved it up to 200 for 1 hour, then 225 for an hour, then 250 for another. It stalled at 150, so I stepped up to 275, hit 160, wrapped it and back on the grill. Currently 10 hours into the cook and it’s still sitting at 160 degrees?

Welcome to the trials and tribulations of the briskethood.

I used to be a firm believer in 225 for brisket, but I’ve been convinced by Aaron Franklin that 275 is a better temp for an over all better brisket.

A 4-5lb flat may very well take about 6 hours or so at 275. The fact that you did 4 hours at 180 definitely increased your cook time.

Also note that there IS such a thing as too much smoke.

I did a 5.5 lb flat, suggested was 8 hrs @ 225. 6 hrs in I bumped it to 250, still took 11 hrs total. FWIW, I was spritzing every 30 min after a few hrs till I wrapped in paper at 160.

I think how much you open the lid and the thickness of the cut has lot to do with it.

Points well taken. I appreciate the input.

Here’s how it turned out. Not as moist or as tender as I would have ideally preferred, but very flavorful. By comparison with my last attempt on my full sized Weber kettle this was an enormous step forward. The last time I basically ended up with great bark and shoe leather beneath it.

Attachments

• 6822892F-BCE6-4920-8F80-4DA7D526248D.jpeg
    6822892F-BCE6-4920-8F80-4DA7D526248D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
Flats are the leaner part of a brisket, so it may just be your particular flat - esp if your flat wasn’t well marbled.

Points well taken. I appreciate the input.

Here’s how it turned out. Not as moist or as tender as I would have ideally preferred, but very flavorful. By comparison with my last attempt on my full sized Weber kettle this was an enormous step forward. The last time I basically ended up with great bark and shoe leather beneath it.
That looks like a very lean brisket flat; Choice grade, I’m guessing. They are harder to get tender AND moist because of the lack of marbling. When I do just a flat, I try to find one with a fair amount of marbling and that usually means a prime-grade piece of meat.

Since you got good flavor and it wasn’t really tough, I’d say you did a good job with that piece of meat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back