Bull Decision - Access to Bull hopper

SoFLAgriller

I would like to get a RT-700 Bull, but I have one hesitation. It's about access, the ease or difficulty, to the rear hopper in the Bull.

Here's my situation ... Whatever grill I get will need to go in a certain spot on my covered screened in patio. I live in south Florida near the coast, so humidity is going to be an issue with any pellets remaining in the hopper or auger for any extended period of time. So, I would like to be able to frequently clean out the pellets in the hopper. My plan is to use one of those bucket wet/dry vacs. BUT, the intended location on the patio is up against the patio screen and I would only be able to reach the hopper from the front (over the top), or from the controller side of the grill.

My question for those with Bull experience is ... How big of a pain would it be have to frequently access the Bull hopper (either from the front or from the controller side) to load pellets or vacuum them out?

I've done searches on the forum about choosing between the RT-700 or the RT-590 and learned a lot, but my concern about access to the hopper is the only thing keeping me from choosing the RT-700. If it will be a pain for me with the RT-700, I will have to go with the RT-590. Thank you for any insight you might have.

I have a 700 and it’s built into my outdoor kitchen. I don’t have any issues with the rear hopper and that was one of the reasons I chose it. I Like the fact that it keeps the heat of the drum off the wall so you speak. I have no issues with accessing the hopper and removing pellets when I want to change pellet flavors. I usually leave pellets in there and haven’t had any issues with moisture. I know Florida gets humid but here in NC it’s pretty humid as well.

My 680 has had the hopper backed up to a brick wall for 2 or 3 years now. I have no trouble accessing the hopper from the front or side.

The RT-700 does have the casters. Would you be able to pivot it away from the wall to do what you need, then move it back?
I thought about that too. It's doable, but I'm not sure I want to shimmy it out of it's spot every time. Thanks for raising that possibility.

I thought about that too. It's doable, but I'm not sure I want to shimmy it out of it's spot every time. Thanks for raising that possibility.
It should move alright if you have a flat surface. Having said that, my casters failed going between garage & driveway, so I'm not sure they're meant to hold up to frequent movement.

In my experience, i am on the other coast and its been humid as hell several months this year and many last year. Humidity for the last month or so has consistently been 80-90% at some point every day. Now having spent some time in FL and the south in general i know you can get higher and stay that way for weeks on end, here it usually comes and goes in waves. But my point is i have yet to have any moisture related issues with the pellets in the hopper that i never take out, only fill as needed. I know moisture is a concern but does anyone really know anyone that has even had personal issue with humidity and pellets in the hopper? I have read plenty over the years as well but i do not know anyone that i trust that has ever had any issues.

In my experience, i am on the other coast and its been humid as hell several months this year and many last year. Humidity for the last month or so has consistently been 80-90% at some point every day. Now having spent some time in FL and the south in general i know you can get higher and stay that way for weeks on end, here it usually comes and goes in waves. But my point is i have yet to have any moisture related issues with the pellets in the hopper that i never take out, only fill as needed. I know moisture is a concern but does anyone really know anyone that has even had personal issue with humidity and pellets in the hopper? I have read plenty over the years as well but i do not know anyone that i trust that has ever had any issues.
I read somewhere someone was having a hopper moisture issue. Someone else said he has a Desiccant Packet in his hopper to prevent moisture. So I got me one to play it safe.

Attachments

• Cord Holder.jpg
    Cord Holder.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 89
I have always loaded my Bull hopper from the controller side of the shelf due to the smokebox, you can rest the bag on top of the barrel as long as it's cool to make it easier. Never had moisture issues in the hopper and have left pellets in the hopper for several weeks, I also don't cover the grill but it is stored under a covered porch but occasionally gets wet from wind blown rain and snow.

I would like to get a RT-700 Bull, but I have one hesitation. It's about access, the ease or difficulty, to the rear hopper in the Bull.

Here's my situation ... Whatever grill I get will need to go in a certain spot on my covered screened in patio. I live in south Florida near the coast, so humidity is going to be an issue with any pellets remaining in the hopper or auger for any extended period of time. So, I would like to be able to frequently clean out the pellets in the hopper. My plan is to use one of those bucket wet/dry vacs. BUT, the intended location on the patio is up against the patio screen and I would only be able to reach the hopper from the front (over the top), or from the controller side of the grill.

My question for those with Bull experience is ... How big of a pain would it be have to frequently access the Bull hopper (either from the front or from the controller side) to load pellets or vacuum them out?

I've done searches on the forum about choosing between the RT-700 or the RT-590 and learned a lot, but my concern about access to the hopper is the only thing keeping me from choosing the RT-700. If it will be a pain for me with the RT-700, I will have to go with the RT-590. Thank you for any insight you might have.
Don't drink the bigger is better cool-aid. I could have purchased any RT grill I wanted. I picked the 590 over the 700 because of hopper access and capacity need. I live 1/8th mile from the ICW and maybe 1/2 mile from the ocean on HHI, SC. I have had NO wet pellet issues and sometime go 2-3 weeks between cooks.

Thanks to everyone for responding. After reading the responses, I have to admit that I'm still torn between the 590 and the 700. Part of me was hoping that the clear consensus would be that it's a royal pain to frequently access the 700 hopper from the front or controller side - and I would default to the 590. But I'm not hearing that. So, now I have to decide between the 590 and 700 for all the other reasons. And thanks GH41 for warning me not to drink the bigger is better cool-aid.

I ask RT why the warranty difference. They said the steel in the 700 is heavier than in the 590. A heavy user will burn out a 590 faster. The igniter, auger motor, fan and computer are the same. I said it before... Cost didn't influence my decision. Size and needed capacity did. The 590 is sharing patio space with 5 foot wide gas grill, a 4 foot wide prep cart w/side burner, a couple of chairs and small table.

On my patio, the only remaining option for placing a 700 would be a location where the controller side would be subjected to driving rain, which is not uncommon here. Can the controller get wet occasionally and still be okay? On longer burns, I won't always be right there to somehow protect it. I would think rain during grilling would be a common issue for some folks, but after doing some searches I couldn't find any discussion of how this might affect the controller over time. Maybe I'm not good at searches. And I didn't see anything in the User Manual. Thanks.

I've cooked with my RT in light to heavy rain before with no issue. Not regularly, but weather happens. My patio cover is an open pergola so nothing is staying dry. Mind that my controller doesn't have probe ports (yet), so I can't speak to how those handle getting wet. If expecting rain on an overnight slow-and-low, maybe you could cover the controller shelf with something (not tight up against the drum)? It sounds like your space is pretty sparse, though. You may appreciate the smaller grill more in the long run, especially if you don't need the volume of the Bull. Having some elbow room is nice.

Thanks DarkStar. After the input from everyone and letting my thoughts marinate, I think the 590 is the best choice for my situation. Now I just have to decide on the accessories. :unsure:

My opinion since having the 700 is that the extra space gained for cooking and extra warranty would override any inconvenience of reaching over the top with a shop vac to pull pellets. Another concern I have with the 590 that I don’t see any has mentioned is the vents. They are located on the rear. If you’re wedging this thing against a patio wall as you say, you may have issues with heat and discoloration with that smoke rolling out the back rather than from the side chimney.

My opinion since having the 700 is that the extra space gained for cooking and extra warranty would override any inconvenience of reaching over the top with a shop vac to pull pellets. Another concern I have with the 590 that I don’t see any has mentioned is the vents. They are located on the rear. If you’re wedging this thing against a patio wall as you say, you may have issues with heat and discoloration with that smoke rolling out the back rather than from the side chimney.
The competition cart rolls real easy in all directions. An option for both issues.

I also live in SWFL and have owned my Bull since Jan. I have never had any issues with the pellets and humidity. I have only swapped out pellets once (cheap Traeger). I also grill next to our pool cage without any issues. Swapping out pellets every cook seems like a waste of time and effort, especially if you keep the smoker under cover. Remember to always use quality pellets and you should have no problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back