Trailblazer CYA screen is gone

ol' stonebreaker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
6" cutoff wheel on my grinder took it off in a minute. when the hopper is about empty I like to be able to push all the dust into the auger to get rid of it. I'm sure it will burn as good as the pellets. I'm pretty sure RT's lawyers advised to install it.

6" cutoff wheel on my grinder took it off in a minute. when the hopper is about empty I like to be able to push all the dust into the auger to get rid of it. I'm sure it will burn as good as the pellets. I'm pretty sure RT's lawyers advised to install it.
@ol' stonebreaker, what is the CYA screen? Why to you want to push all the dust into the auger to get rid of it? I thought the dust is not good for the auger, can cake up, etc. Thanks for clarifying this.

@charlesrshell some models have a screen at the top of the hopper to keep people from getting their hands entangled in the auger while pushing pellets around
OK, thanks @Fhughes. I don't want that screen too. So it has to be cut out? With the screen in place how to you shop vac or shovel the pellets out if you wish too? I have one of them there old big shop vac hose. I have a RT-590 on order.

Cover Your A$$ is something suggested or dictated by company lawyers to avoid liability lawsuits. Not to brag but after 32 yrs of portable rock crushers I still have all my fingers and toes so feel pretty sure I know where not to stick them. I failed to mention I also own a traeger which I have not been happy with from day one. I never had any problem with the dust in the auger on it.

There are a few screws thats you remove to remove the hopper grate. No need to cut it. I have mine in there loose, (not screwed in), so it catches random stuff that might be in the pellet bag (check Facebook) and so I can keep a large desiccant bag in there to collect moisture.

There are a few screws thats you remove to remove the hopper grate. No need to cut it. I have mine in there loose, (not screwed in), so it catches random stuff that might be in the pellet bag (check Facebook) and so I can keep a large desiccant bag in there to collect moisture.
Thanks @SmokeyJoe. That is a good idea to keep a large desiccant bag in the hopper.

Honestly, no clue? i just moved into my house and have a few lying around so I figured it couldn’t hurt, especially in Charleston, SC. I had some condensation under the hopper a few times and that was the impetus for the idea. It seems to be doing a good job. It’s under a covered patio, but still exposed to rain and humidity. I haven’t had any problems yet haha. What you posted looks like it’ll work!

@Mastertech59, the 340 does have screws...or at least it did as of a few months ago when I had one briefly. Based on what @ol' stonebreaker said, that might no longer be the case.

Honestly, no clue? i just moved into my house and have a few lying around so I figured it couldn’t hurt, especially in Charleston, SC. I had some condensation under the hopper a few times and that was the impetus for the idea. It seems to be doing a good job. It’s under a covered patio, but still exposed to rain and humidity. I haven’t had any problems yet haha. What you posted looks like it’ll work!

@Mastertech59, the 340 does have screws...or at least it did as of a few months ago when I had one briefly. Based on what @ol' stonebreaker said, that might no longer be the case.
Thanks @SmokeyJoe. Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe you should apply for a patient! LOL

I always thought so to but have also seen talk about the screws are not easily seen on either of these grills, four of them hidden below the screen.
I'm glad the Bull doesn't use the CYA screen, I've never any pellet feed issues even when running it down to the last pound of pellets in the hopper.

Well, mastertech59, you're right. On closer inspection I found the 4 screws and took the frame out. At any rate it was gonna go!! The tacks I saw join the upper hopper half to the lower half. My that crow tastes wonderful, LOL!!

Well, mastertech59, you're right. On closer inspection I found the 4 screws and took the frame out. At any rate it was gonna go!! The tacks I saw join the upper hopper half to the lower half. My that crow tastes wonderful, LOL!!
Make sure to reinstall the screws to prevent moisture entry into the hopper and pellet dust getting into places it's not supposed to be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back