Customized my RT700

Snorebaby

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
I wanted to share some of the modifications I did to my 700 over the holiday's.

I know that the front shelf is nothing new. It was a lot cheaper than purchasing the stainless one from Recteq. Someone done one with a stair tread and I liked the looks with the rounded front. So that's what I did. Didn't stain it, just some light sanding and applied mineral oil. The 700 stays on the patio and the patio is covered so not worried about rain. I got the folding shelf brackets off Amazon and the stair tread from Lowe's. Less than $30 total.

I haven't decided what I am doing with the bull ring yet. Seen a shelf with it installed on the front and kinda liked it. I may install it on the side shelf and used it as a towel holder. No hurry so I may come up with something or see something else I like.

RT700 Front 1.jpg

RT700 Front 2.jpg

I have a long shelf and two small shelves. No real good place to store them except on the shelf under the grill. I didn't really like them there. Then I got the sear kit for Christmas and now I really didn't have a good place to store everything. So I decided to make a "shelf" to store the small shelves and the grill grates.

RT700 Side.jpg

The longer shelf is now stored on the hopper. I used the Blackstone magnetic tool holders. No need to drill holes and they hold the shelf very well.

RT700 Rear.jpg

It doesn't move so I am not worried about anything falling off or moving around.

I know you are wondering why I have the horns the way I do. My wife is 5'2" and when opening the lid, her arm touched the lid with the horns the normal way. I turned them out so she can stand to the side and not worry about touching the lid. I told her now we don't have an RT-700....we have a 007-TR :cool:

I know that the front shelf is nothing new. It was a lot cheaper than purchasing the stainless one from Recteq. Someone done one with a stair tread and I liked the looks with the rounded front. So that's what I did. Didn't stain it, just some light sanding and applied mineral oil. The 700 stays on the patio and the patio is covered so not worried about rain. I got the folding shelf brackets off Amazon and the stair tread from Lowe's. Less than $30 total.

I haven't decided what I am doing with the bull ring yet. Seen a shelf with it installed on the front and kinda liked it. I may install it on the side shelf and used it as a towel holder. No hurry so I may come up with something or see something else I like.

View attachment 18297

View attachment 18298

I have a long shelf and two small shelves. No real good place to store them except on the shelf under the grill. I didn't really like them there. Then I got the sear kit for Christmas and now I really didn't have a good place to store everything. So I decided to make a "shelf" to store the small shelves and the grill grates.

View attachment 18299

The longer shelf is now stored on the hopper. I used the Blackstone magnetic tool holders. No need to drill holes and they hold the shelf very well.

View attachment 18300

It doesn't move so I am not worried about anything falling off or moving around.

I know you are wondering why I have the horns the way I do. My wife is 5'2" and when opening the lid, her arm touched the lid with the horns the normal way. I turned them out so she can stand to the side and not worry about touching the lid. I told her now we don't have an RT-700....we have a 007-TR :cool:
Great updates! Thanks for sharing the info.

When you say “I have a long shelf and two small shelves.” Are those actually replacement grill racks? If so, what prompted you to get and use those? (Curious)
…and I should have turned the Bull horns outward on my 700 already. They get in the way of the full-sized aluminum pans I often use.

…and I should have turned the Bull horns outward on my 700 already. They get in the way of the full-sized aluminum pans I often use.
Actually works out when wrapping ribs. The tread is 11.5" and works well with the heavy duty aluminum foil not to mention the pans.
When you say “I have a long shelf and two small shelves.” Are those actually replacement grill racks? If so, what prompted you to get and use those? (Curious)
The shelves are what Recteq sells. I use the smaller ones for my prime ribs and put a small pan under it to catch the drippings to make Au Jus. The longer one is usually used for casserole dishes and sometimes more racks of ribs. It is taller than the small shelves to give me more room underneath.

Last edited:
Looks great Snorebaby
Now all you need is one of these, to store all of you Grilling Tools:
recteq-toolbox-jpeg.7876

Our long Middle Shelf and Grill Mats are sitting on top of the Tool Box
Thanks!

HMMMMM......I like it! What tool box did you get?

Right now I just have a 5 gal tote on the shelf that has my smoker tubes, probes and drip bucket liners. You can see it in the last pic. I have a couple of grey totes (I think they are 15gal or so) that I have been using for a few years for my Masterbuilt smoker. One holds the wood chips and the other holds the cooling racks, paper towels, gloves, aluminum foil, etc.

Now that I have the bottom shelf open, I will see if the 2 grey totes will fit under there. I built a "cart" for my Masterbuilt when I got it and used to store them there. I had to move them when I got a Blackstone 22" griddle to accommodate the propane bottle. I am giving that smoker to my SIL and will modify the cart to hold the griddle and it's accessories. I may just store the grey tote's there depending on my modifications. The MB is a great little smoker but the wife loves the versatility of our Bull. Plan on getting our Daughter/SIL either a Bullseye or 340 at the next S&D sale.

Thanks. I have stored it there for about a month or so. Haven't had a problem with heat and have had it up to 500. It's not as close as it looks. It's only about 8" tall. I do like the tool box idea. I see your aluminum foil is off to the side. Does it not fit in the drawer?

Not sure I would trust anything from Acme tools....Wile E. Coyote never had any luck with Acme products! :ROFLMAO:🤣

Last edited:

View attachment 18297

View attachment 18298

View attachment 18299

View attachment 18300

Kudos on the improvements. I have a red oak stair tread to be used as a shelf. I will stain and coat it with epoxy. I just have to get up and do it (LOL). The Stainless Steel shelf that Recteq sells appears very cheap... expensive to buy but cheap in appearence. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Thanks.

I wouldn't say cheap....I don't like the new way the hinge locks. It is a ball/detent type. They had an older one in the showroom and it uses a locking shelf bracket like this one. I got the 10" version. I had to drill a hole in it because I used the existing bolt in the leg. No need for a second bolt/screw unless you just want to. It is sturdy with just the one bolt in each bracket.

Not to hijack your thread, but I've been thinking about ditching the competition base and going with this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...od-Top-in-Gloss-Black-HOUC3603B1QWK/204856169 I'm over 6ft, tall and am always having to reach down to get into the smoker. I thought about maybe fabbing up a spacer to go between the smoker and the base, but would rather go with what I posted above for a more clean look with integrated storage, plus the price is nice!

No problem...ideas bouncing around is always a good thing.

I am not sure about the tool box. It is not as deep as the grill and the hopper would put alot of weight on the backside. That would make it real top heavy and unstable. The toolbox legs are straight and the comp base is angled to help make it stable.

In my opinion, which may not count for much, I think a spacer is a better option. You might be able to incorporate a tool box as the spacer for the comp base. I don't know how the comp base attaches to the grill so I am limited on ideas.

OH .... you also need to move your Towel "BULL" Ring out from behind / under you new Shelf:
View attachment 18504
I like it...but I am in the beginnings of making a prep table and think I am going to use the ring for a pull handle on the drawer I plan to have. Looking for the legs from a 700 cart. I already have an assembled 700 cart for my base.

Just a question. Why did you turn the WiFi antenna down?

Stopped by Recteq today, it's their #WeCookWednesday and I was off work. They have a Scratch & Dent sale going on until Saturday and was interested in what was available. Not much, probably about a dozen grills. A few 1250's and 1070's, a couple of 590's and a B380X. Didn't get one but I did score the standard bottom cart for a 700.

I asked if they had some legs for a 700 that were damaged as I was making a prep table out of them. He came out with a complete bottom cart (minus the swivel casters). The only issue was the shelf had a ding on it and the missing casters. I already have another complete standard bottom cart for a 700 that I will be using and I told him I didn't care about the caster's.

I asked how much and he just looked at me with a puzzled face and told me....No Charge! Gotta love the CS!!

Yes they are good folks. When we went to the Academy last year, we had a guided wander through the warehouse. Folks were buying scratch and dents. There were plenty of random spare parts for free or darn close to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back