Stampede Custom Shelf for RT 590

northgagriller

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So today was the day my 590 got it’s new shelf installed! My brother found an old stair tread at his house and gave it to me.
Get this, was perfect size as it sat for a number of years. Not one bit had to be trimmed off.
He sanded it up, and we just put some satin polyurethane sealer on it that I already had and that’s it.
Just bought some foldable brackets from Amazon. Mounted using one of the existing leg bolts and just had to drill one hole in each side to attached to grill.
Turned out pretty great, especially considering I only have $16 total in it!

DD531911-5722-4476-B7D6-1CB6A091F233.jpeg

B65C0D19-868B-4D47-AB2B-D44341FC0227.jpeg

0C325672-495D-49DE-93A9-53B8118005FD.jpeg

DCCB9C73-82D4-4C4F-A4B1-AA2EEAB44F9B.jpeg

4164C794-EFD6-4D2A-BE78-07E1025C2B43.jpeg

Instead of starting a new post for the same thing I’m going to resurrect this one. After 6 months of owning my 590 and hating how dirty the top got from the smoke leakage around the door I broke down and cleaned her up and installed the lava lock gasket. Plus while I was at it I took a page out of everyone’s play book and made my own folding shelf out of some Trex. I waited all summer for the recteq shelf to come back in stock and then learned from all you fine folk that it’s better faster and cheaper to just build my own. Love this forum and all the great advice found here!!

38470A2F-3FF9-4749-A503-AF9A0190024B.jpeg

3B8C811D-1395-4CEF-84B2-13F8D8E07765.jpeg

243C0679-4509-43DF-8022-D7C1503CD071.jpeg

49F53AB9-E57C-495D-808E-316D90DB0965.jpeg

Instead of starting a new post for the same thing I’m going to resurrect this one. After 6 months of owning my 590 and hating how dirty the top got from the smoke leakage around the door I broke down and cleaned her up and installed the lava lock gasket. Plus while I was at it I took a page out of everyone’s play book and made my own folding shelf out of some Trex. I waited all summer for the recteq shelf to come back in stock and then learned from all you fine folk that it’s better faster and cheaper to just build my own. Love this forum and all the great advice found here!!

View attachment 17844
View attachment 17845
View attachment 17846
View attachment 17847
Sweet! That is very nice. Love my 590, but think the factory shelf isn’t anywhere near as nice as what you’ve got here anyway.

Thanks! I feel like I kinda took the lazy way out using the trex over a nice custom piece like you installed but I also like the piece of mind that it will never rot and it’s easy to clean plus if something horrific happens to it that it’s also simple and cheap to replace.

View attachment 17846
That looks great, nice job. I'm curious how it hold up since the minimum recommended span for trex is 16" and the brackets are much further than that?

I went with some Ipe real wood which matches my deck. It will still be in great condition much longer than the gill will last.

IMG_3468.JPG

Looks great....what are the dimensions?

Dimensions are 32” wide by about 11.5” from the face of the grill

Also, what brackets did you use?

I used 12” stainless brackets from amazon
Folding Shelf Brackets 12 Inch,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSMB6L8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That looks great, nice job. I'm curious how it hold up since the minimum recommended span for trex is 16" and the brackets are much further than that?

I went with some Ipe real wood which matches my deck. It will still be in great condition much longer than the gill will last.

View attachment 17850

I think the spacing will be fine. I understand they recommend 16” max but that spec is for human foot traffic and structural support. I’ll never have that kinda weight on my shelf. I love the color of the wood you picked out for yours it looks very rich in color!

Dimensions are 32” wide by about 11.5” from the face of the grill

I used 12” stainless brackets from amazon
Folding Shelf Brackets 12 Inch,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSMB6L8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I think the spacing will be fine. I understand they recommend 16” max but that spec is for human foot traffic and structural support. I’ll never have that kinda weight on my shelf. I love the color of the wood you picked out for yours it looks very rich in color!
We've seen a lot of trex sag between 16" OC joist spacing when laid on a diagonal due to hot summer heat in direct sun, not from foot traffic, time will tell.
Thanks for the complement on the scrap wood I selected for mine. I built my deck ~20 years ago and the Ipe wood has held up extremely well. Trex type decking was just coming out back then and there were many problems with those early version so I'm glad I picked real wood.

IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg

I built my deck ~20 years ago and the Ipe wood has held up extremely well.
Wow!!! I never in a million years would have guessed that deck was 20 years old. It looks brand new! It’s beautiful has it taken much up keep?

Wow!!! I never in a million years would have guessed that deck was 20 years old. It looks brand new! It’s beautiful has it taken much up keep?
About every 3-4 years, I use "restore-a-deck" cleaner kit on it, then apply a oil based stain specifically made for exotic hardwood. Check out Ipe, it's so dense it won't even float.

View attachment 17844
View attachment 17845
View attachment 17846
View attachment 17847
How has the gasket worked for you?

How has the gasket worked for you?

So far I’ve only done 2 cooks since installing the gasket one of which being about a 4hr run with a turkey. It has definitely eliminated 99% of the smoke leakage around the lid so my staining issue should be resolved and my smoker will stay clean on the outside now. During my 2 cooks the smoker didn’t perform any different and my temps stayed steady as a rock as always. I have no regrets wish I would have installed it on day 1.

Will be purchasing 590....just waiting to see what deals Black Friday bring. That being said, I will be making my own custom front shelf, and want it ready to go when my new 590 arrives. The websites dimensions seem like they are off. From the front, it says from left outside leg to right outside leg is 28", and from the inside of those legs is 27.75".....That would mean each of the legs is .125". Also, the factory front shelf says it is 27.75" wide, which would mean it's not wide enough to attach to the grill.
Can someone please take the actual measurements of the outside and inside leg dimensions?

I bought my 590 right at a year ago. The distance from inside leg to inside leg is 25 3/16”. The distance from outside leg to outside leg is 27 9/16”. However, towards the top of the legs there is a face plate that extends across the legs. The distance across that gave plate is 27 11/16”.

I am about to cut the wood for my shelf today and plan on making it 30” wide by 13” deep.

Will be purchasing 590....just waiting to see what deals Black Friday bring. That being said, I will be making my own custom front shelf, and want it ready to go when my new 590 arrives. The websites dimensions seem like they are off. From the front, it says from left outside leg to right outside leg is 28", and from the inside of those legs is 27.75".....That would mean each of the legs is .125". Also, the factory front shelf says it is 27.75" wide, which would mean it's not wide enough to attach to the grill.
I made my wooden shelf 32" wide. It doesn't need to be the exact same width as the legs as long as it's wider than the legs.

IMG_3468.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back