Custom setups

NinoRT700

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Can everyone that has a nice custom grill setup in their yard post some pictures?
I currently have a Bull, Bullseye, weber gas grill, weber kettle, electric smoker and I’m also about to purchase a blackstone griddle.
So I’m looking for some ideas on how to get most of them in a nice setup area that can be more than just a bunch of grills

Here’s an older thread with lots of pictures. I’m sure some of our newer members have other setups to add but this will give you some ideas.

Great question. A little clarification would be helpful to ensure an accurate response. Are you talking about a built in custom solution, a portable and highly flexible solution, or something in between? I purposely stayed away from the built in solution because I will periodically enter local competitions. In addition, I have multiple setups depending on what I am cooking and how much I am cooking and how I want to entertain. Here is one example of my setup with a Lynx 36”, a pizza oven, the Bull (as the center of attention) a kenmore elite (when it was made by Lynx), I also have a vertical smoker and a classic weber kettle amongst other devices but I only have so many hands and feet. The blackstone is on the lawn behind everything because it is worst than Pigpen from the Charley Brown cartoons. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 61977900-61FA-4D7C-92EA-2AC19001013D.jpeg
    61977900-61FA-4D7C-92EA-2AC19001013D.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 8464E026-6441-4903-8359-259EC5DCC457.jpeg
    8464E026-6441-4903-8359-259EC5DCC457.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 83D47468-303D-42D2-8FE1-543F1516827C.jpeg
    83D47468-303D-42D2-8FE1-543F1516827C.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 103
Great question. A little clarification would be helpful to ensure an accurate response. Are you talking about a built in custom solution, a portable and highly flexible solution, or something in between?
Yea i meant built in setups. I’m just buying a new house and will have part of a clean slate backyard to build something on. My wife is forcing me to leave some area for my kid to have a playset and pool lol but I’ll have the rest to build on

Yea i meant built in setups. I’m just buying a new house and will have part of a clean slate backyard to build something on. My wife is forcing me to leave some area for my kid to have a playset and pool lol but I’ll have the rest to build on
Sounds like a good opportunity and a great wife. My wife had similar thoughts but when she noticed how our our friends with built-ins for a few years started having problems with equipment failures and changes in outdoor cooking technologies, coupled with the fact that an outdoor kitchen typically “traps the pitmaster behind a bar-like structure”, she started to flex. Then, when she saw how much smoke my vertical stick burner and RT700 puts out and how if the wind blows the wrong direction it enters the open windows of the house, she withdrew her opinions. I don’t think she realized when you look at the design photos and magazines, you never see the actual residue from the cooks. We have friends that have propane grills 10 feet from the side of their houses and you can still see the smoke stains on the side of their houses or on the ceilings of their pergola/covers. (We live in California so we don’t have the property sizes other have.). The concept in this photo quickly turned into my current free flow flexible setup with a significant savings on top (The built in solution was quoted at $68,000 by the lowest bidder). Then, to cap it all off, when the neighbor that shares a rear wall with our property burned down the side of their house when his grill had a ”run away” fire, she was sold and my design won out. As you make your decisions, consult with a designer not just a contractor and you it will probably save a lot of frustration in the process. One final tip, NEVER, EVER, EVER PAY RETAIL!!! lol.

1656107038209.jpeg

I posted my pics, lessons learned and thoughts previously - see Waterboy's link above. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to try to answer. I cook outside probably 75% of the time. The only meal that isn't regularly cooked outside is breakfast -but it is on the weekends.

I posted my pics, lessons learned and thoughts previously - see Waterboy's link above. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to try to answer. I cook outside probably 75% of the time. The only meal that isn't regularly cooked outside is breakfast -but it is on the weekends.
I realize this is the RT and pellet grill forum so pardon the highjacked thread. A blackstone will cure you from doing any indoor cooking, haha.

This would all definitely be away from the side of the house and probably just in a corner of the yard. It will really just be how many of the grill i want to put in the area that will decide how big it will be.
I would definitely have the bull and blackstone in it and I’m thinking one more of the grills in there and have the bullseye and maybe gasser on patio next to the house.
I think Im going to have to do a little more measuring and draw everything out a bit. Don’t want to build it and wish i moved it or change it

Pete590; Nice set up. Very impressive. As someone that has many fire department friends, did you treat the beams for your cover with a fire retardant. We go to quite a few back yard fires that start because someone was doing an overnight cook and the temp controller on their grill had a runaway condition. As soon as the beams catch, they find a path into the main dwelling’s attic (as it wasn‘t to code and didn’t have the appropriate fire break/isolation and it makes containment very difficult). Also, I would consider moving the spare propane tanks away from the general grilling area. In their current configuration you’ve basically placed 2 bombs next to the house that will create quite a bit of damage and shrapnel if there is a fire. Interestingly, when my neighbor BBQ’d his house, the insurance inspectors did a womb to tomb walk-thru of the entire setup and found he was missing a permit for one of the electrical lines and one for running a NG line (I live in California) and denied his claim. Last week we celebrated 2 years since his fire and this is what his house still looks like. One final observation includes ensuring proper grounding of the deck. There is a lot of stainless steel out there and they make for great lighning stike magnets, especially with a tin roof.

Sorry to be a buzz kill but my neighbors and I can’t believe when visitors to our neighborhood ask about the ghetto like conditions just across my rear wall because of a decision that wasn’t well thought out. The worst part is that he is reaching into his own bank account to pay almost a half million dollars to get his house fixed which is about 40 percent of its value and most of the equity he has built up in the 8 years since he moved in.

Edit: The saddest part of this was that the neighbor on his north side sustained damage to his garage and several of the palm trees in my yard caught but a 3” fire hose extinguished my side pretty fast but the intensity of heat cracked his pool and flooded my yard.

Attachments

• 228530E0-4452-436B-B960-2C42A54C60D0.jpeg
    228530E0-4452-436B-B960-2C42A54C60D0.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 69
  • B265FFCC-FA51-448E-A0F5-4ED5D37984BA.jpeg
    B265FFCC-FA51-448E-A0F5-4ED5D37984BA.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 75
Great question. A little clarification would be helpful to ensure an accurate response. Are you talking about a built in custom solution, a portable and highly flexible solution, or something in between? I purposely stayed away from the built in solution because I will periodically enter local competitions. In addition, I have multiple setups depending on what I am cooking and how much I am cooking and how I want to entertain. Here is one example of my setup with a Lynx 36”, a pizza oven, the Bull (as the center of attention) a kenmore elite (when it was made by Lynx), I also have a vertical smoker and a classic weber kettle amongst other devices but I only have so many hands and feet. The blackstone is on the lawn behind everything because it is worst than Pigpen from the Charley Brown cartoons. I hope this helps.
Nice setup!

Pete590; Nice set up. Very impressive. As someone that has many fire department friends, did you treat the beams for your cover with a fire retardant. We go to quite a few back yard fires that start because someone was doing an overnight cook and the temp controller on their grill had a runaway condition. As soon as the beams catch, they find a path into the main dwelling’s attic (as it wasn‘t to code and didn’t have the appropriate fire break/isolation and it makes containment very difficult). Also, I would consider moving the spare propane tanks away from the general grilling area. In their current configuration you’ve basically placed 2 bombs next to the house that will create quite a bit of damage and shrapnel if there is a fire. Interestingly, when my neighbor BBQ’d his house, the insurance inspectors did a womb to tomb walk-thru of the entire setup and found he was missing a permit for one of the electrical lines and one for running a NG line (I live in California) and denied his claim. Last week we celebrated 2 years since his fire and this is what his house still looks like. One final observation includes ensuring proper grounding of the deck. There is a lot of stainless steel out there and they make for great lighning stike magnets, especially with a tin roof.

Sorry to be a buzz kill but my neighbors and I can’t believe when visitors to our neighborhood ask about the ghetto like conditions just across my rear wall because of a decision that wasn’t well thought out. The worst part is that he is reaching into his own bank account to pay almost a half million dollars to get his house fixed which is about 40 percent of its value and most of the equity he has built up in the 8 years since he moved in.

Edit: The saddest part of this was that the neighbor on his north side sustained damage to his garage and several of the palm trees in my yard caught but a 3” fire hose extinguished my side pretty fast but the intensity of heat cracked his pool and flooded my yard.
Thanks for the tips, I definitely will move the propane tanks. The structure is grounded,we get a lot of lightning . What type of fire retardant should I use on the beams? The electrical was done by an electrician,so it’s up to code.
appreciate the feedback.

Your decision will be influenced by the type of wood you are trying to protect. There are products for woods like cedar and others for oak. I’d consult with a local FD and ask if they have a recommendation. If you want something easy to apply yourself there is a product line by Firetec that is readily available and not too pricey. Fire Bond makes a gel solution but I haven’t used it. Whatever you select, review the MSDS to ensure you’re not using something causes a negative reaction to the environment surrounding your property.

Your decision will be influenced by the type of wood you are trying to protect. There are products for woods like cedar and others for oak. I’d consult with a local FD and ask if they have a recommendation. If you want something easy to apply yourself there is a product line by Firetec that is readily available and not too pricey. Fire Bond makes a gel solution but I haven’t used it. Whatever you select, review the MSDS to ensure you’re not using something causes a negative reaction to the environment surrounding your property.
Thanks for the info, no cedar or oak in florida, it’s pressure treated pine

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back