Custom Programming

sherpa

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Pellet grills like the ones built by LoneStarGrillz allow for custom programming. I am aware that this feature has to do with the FireBoard controller, however, wouldn't this technically be possible via the app? Since the app is connected to the grill via WiFi, I don't see why we couldn't do custom programming in the app and the app could follow it as a background process.

By custom programming, I mean something like: start at 220, increase the temp to 275 after three hours, and once the meat probe temp reaches desired internal temperature, lower the temp to 180 to keep it warm.

I think that will become an option in the future. No reason why it shouldn't but without knowing all the specs of the hardware they are using, I am guessing it may be possible but not optimized to do so at this point.

Since RecTeq made their name with their hardware and software working well together, I would hope they would go down this route.

Custom programming is also a feature in the FireBoard controller in the Yoder smoker. I’ve owned the YS640S smoker since December and the features/integration in this FireBoard controller, as well as their thermometer products, is amazing. In addition to the grill, i now own a FireBoard 2 and a FireBoard Spark and I’m considering selling all/most of my (otherwise excellent) ThermoWorks products. The integration into one app/cook history is very nice!

Custom programming is also a feature in the FireBoard controller in the Yoder smoker. I’ve owned the YS640S smoker since December and the features/integration in this FireBoard controller, as well as their thermometer products, is amazing. In addition to the grill, i now own a FireBoard 2 and a FireBoard Spark and I’m considering selling all/most of my (otherwise excellent) ThermoWorks products. The integration into one app/cook history is very nice!
That is real nice. Wish I could unsee this🤣🤣🤣

Absolutely nothing wrong with the ThermoWorks gear. All top notch stuff in my book and I’d never disparage any of it based on my experience with it. But the Yoder controller by FireBoard combined with the other FireBoard products… it’s a different level of integration. So until you can get a FireBoard controller in a recteq, stick with what works for you!

I wonder why I would need a custom program. I trim (not too much) and season (not too much) and get the 700 to temp. Place probes, make sure the internal temp mast is clean. That is all. Why would I need this level of customized fine-tuning?

I wonder why I would need a custom program. I trim (not too much) and season (not too much) and get the 700 to temp. Place probes, make sure the internal temp mast is clean. That is all. Why would I need this level of customized fine-tuning?
Convenience! Think of overnight cooks or long cooks where you might be busy with other chores around the house.

You don't, but it doesn't mean others wouldn't appreciate it and use it frequently.

I do competition cooking and always start my brisket at 180 and change to 225 an hour in, programming feature would give me an extra hour of sleep every competition. A lot of people will ramp their cook.

Programming on other manufacturers also allows you to have it automagically change the pit temp when your meat hits temp for holding, really good for people who are working or busy and their meat is done but they can't immediately take it off.

I've got the FB2 and spark, love both but still can't be without my thermoprobe, soooooo spoiled with that thing, the spark isn't slow but it feels like forever compared to the thermoworks instant read. Since you have the Yoder with the FB, how does it control the auger? Is it a connector like the FB drive that has outputs for fan AND auger or is it completely custom FB? I've always been curious how they control the auger.

I've got the FB2 and spark, love both but still can't be without my thermoprobe, soooooo spoiled with that thing, the spark isn't slow but it feels like forever compared to the thermoworks instant read. Since you have the Yoder with the FB, how does it control the auger? Is it a connector like the FB drive that has outputs for fan AND auger or is it completely custom FB? I've always been curious how they control the auger.
It’s custom FB, build for Yoder, with two probe ports just like a recteq controller. All the devices feed into the app and are available on one screen. With the 2 Yoder ports, 6 FB2 ports, and the Spark port, I can run 9 meat probes at the same time plus the Spark’s instant read probe.
IMG_0826.png

Hi Greg,

Help me out please, I'm not real clear on this. Is the Fireboard Controller in the YS640S what Yoder refers to as "ACS Control System" ? In other words, if a guy wants to have a YS640S that is controlled by a Fireboard product, is that capability integrated into the YS640S as presently offered by Yoder ? Yoder doesn't say much about it, so it's hard to tell.

You appear to be saying that you can "Custom Program" cooks into the Fireboard/Yoder. Meaning, you can have multiple "steps" with adjustable/programmable times and temps, correct ?

I have a "Smokin' It" electric smoker that uses the Auber controller;

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

The Auber does have the programmable capability as you describe. It is helpful to have.

Honestly, not real impressed with the smoker. It had a problem with the controller right out of the box. Smokin' It is a one man show (but with a really "Big" website :rolleyes:) and product support was pretty underwhelming. He did send me a new controller after numerous exercises of me "standing on my head, patting my belly" troubleshooting exercises. The new controller fixed the problem and the smoker has been working relatively well ever since. But.....the thing is chinesium and like my Bull, the casters suck.

The reason that I'm asking these questions is that sometime in the future, I will be buying a new grill. I hear nothing but good things about Fireboard and Yoder/YS640S. The Yoder is probably about double in price of my Bull, all things being equal. I don't have any problem spending the money, but I want to avoid any real, glaring problems with whatever I purchase.

What, if any criticisms do you have for the Fireboard/Yoder combo ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If they’d open up their system for local control the community could build some really cool things like this. I’d love to have it not reliant on their shoddy cloud and integrate it with the rest of my smart home stuff.

What kind of control of the auger do you have with it? Can you change auger settings or run the auger by itself etc?

Hi Greg,

Help me out please, I'm not real clear on this. Is the Fireboard Controller in the YS640S what Yoder refers to as "ACS Control System" ? In other words, if a guy wants to have a YS640S that is controlled by a Fireboard product, is that capability integrated into the YS640S as presently offered by Yoder ? Yoder doesn't say much about it, so it's hard to tell.

You appear to be saying that you can "Custom Program" cooks into the Fireboard/Yoder. Meaning, you can have multiple "steps" with adjustable/programmable times and temps, correct ?

I have a "Smokin' It" electric smoker that uses the Auber controller;

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

The Auber does have the programmable capability as you describe. It is helpful to have.

Honestly, not real impressed with the smoker. It had a problem with the controller right out of the box. Smokin' It is a one man show (but with a really "Big" website :rolleyes:) and product support was pretty underwhelming. He did send me a new controller after numerous exercises of me "standing on my head, patting my belly" troubleshooting exercises. The new controller fixed the problem and the smoker has been working relatively well ever since. But.....the thing is chinesium and like my Bull, the casters suck.

The reason that I'm asking these questions is that sometime in the future, I will be buying a new grill. I hear nothing but good things about Fireboard and Yoder/YS640S. The Yoder is probably about double in price of my Bull, all things being equal. I don't have any problem spending the money, but I want to avoid any real, glaring problems with whatever I purchase.

What, if any criticisms do you have for the Fireboard/Yoder combo ?

Thanks in advance.
The controller in the Yoder is a FireBoard product. How it functions is, for practical purposes, the same as your controller functions in the RT-700. It can be controlled by the FireBoard app, should one choose to use it, or directly from the controller panel on the grill-same as a recteq. It does have ‘if this, then that’ programming in the controller. How that might be helpful is when, as is popular with some brisket cooks now, the temp of the pit is started slow, then incrementally ramped up over time (1 hour at 180, 2 hours at 225, then cook to 165 IT and notify the cook to wrap). The Yoder makes this easy.

I don’t know that I need that level of automation and I haven’t tested it beyond something as simple as what I’m doing right now-the pit is set to 225. If the pit falls below 200 or over 250, let me know. Otherwise, when the IT reaches 165 let me know so I can start looking when to wrap.

Frankly, between just coming out of winter and the drastic ways my family dynamics have changed since I got the Yoder late December, I really haven’t tried it out as fully as I would have liked. Hopefully that will change soon. I seriously only have two nit-pick issues with the Yoder. I would like the cover to be about 2-3 inches longer because when it rains and the wind is blowing, the lower shelf gets wet. The other is that after having a 40# hopper on the RT-700, the 20# hopper on the Yoder seems small. Not that I’ve run out of pellets, but when the hopper is low and only holds 20#, when you top it off there is still a small amount left in a 20# bag. A 25# hopper would solve this.

One thing I really like about the Yoder is that it’s design is really unique from all other pellet grills, in ways that makes sense.

Picture is of a corned beef, 4.5 hours into the cook as I post this.
IMG_1368.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back