Poultry Crispy crunchy skin

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I went against my gut instinct today, and boiled my legs and thighs, then smoked them on the RT700. Some of the best I've ever had. Honest.
So..
1) boil water....
2) preheat smoker to 425°
3) boil Chicken 10-12 mins
4) dry the chicken, add favorite rub
5) smoke/cook Chicken for approximately 45-60mins at 425° and flipping once.
6) pull or add sauce whatever your choice.. if sauce, add another 5-mins.
7)let rest approx 10mins...
8) bite into the crunch and say "finally Juicy, crunchy chicken on a pellet grill" !!

PXL_20220903_144151558.MP.jpg
PXL_20220902_231711256.jpg

So I went against my gut instinct today, and boiled my legs and thighs, then smoked them on the RT700. Some of the best I've ever had. Honest.
So..
1) boil water....
View attachment 17369View attachment 17370
I write this with tears in my eyes, never will I do this. But - I would happily down 4,5,6 of those at your place. Just like the guys who put out great ribs by boiling them first, I can’t do it. It’s against “the code”.

I write this with tears in my eyes, never will I do this. But - I would happily down 4,5,6 of those at your place. Just like the guys who put out great ribs by boiling them first, I can’t do it. It’s against “the code”.
Yes, I didnt enjoy it...but it worked and didnt change any flavor. I was sick of having rubbery skin on pellet smokers. And to be honest, this was chicken for my Fathers funeral after get together, he passed Monday. So, it had to be right. Unbelievably even ro me, it work perfectly. But I understand your stance... 😆

Yes, I didnt enjoy it...but it worked and didnt change any flavor. I was sick of having rubbery skin on pellet smokers. And to be honest, this was chicken for my Fathers funeral after get together, he passed Monday. So, it had to be right. Unbelievably even ro me, it work perfectly. But I understand your stance... 😆
So sorry for your loss. Treasure the good memories and forget the rest.

So..
1) boil water....
8) bite into the crunch and say "finally Juicy, crunchy chicken on a pellet grill" !!

Amazing looking.

Exactly yes is does...Im assuming it also makes sure the chicken is close to fully cooked before adding the heat...
One could probably low smoke these first then hit that 425°, but this does work. Chicken stays moist and skin is great... Play with rhe times for what you like best.

So..
1) boil water....

Definitely gonna give that a shot.

Exactly yes is does...Im assuming it also makes sure the chicken is close to fully cooked before adding the heat...
One could probably low smoke these first then hit that 425°, but this does work. Chicken stays moist and skin is great... Play with rhe times for what you like best.
I’ve this method your talking about and often enough times I end up with a grease fire to contend with as chick has so much fat…we happen to really like the skin.

I’ve this method your talking about and often enough times I end up with a grease fire to contend with as chick has so much fat…we happen to really like the skin.
I had somewhere like 64 pieces on the 700 main thing is to keep it over top the drip tray. Ive notice the searing plates if you have them, extend side to side and allow grease to get into the bottom of the smoker... I clean mine out pretty often too, that can help.

So..
1) boil water....

I have struggled to get crispy skin on the smoker and my Weber with the Vortex attachment. I tried this boil method and I am shocked how crispy they came out using my Stampede. The only difference was that mine hit 209 and were crispy at the 30 minute mark. I will try to lessen the boil time to 10 minutes instead of 12 and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the recipe

I have struggled to get crispy skin on the smoker and my Weber with the Vortex attachment. I tried this boil method and I am shocked how crispy they came out using my Stampede. The only difference was that mine hit 209 and were crispy at the 30 minute mark. I will try to lessen the boil time to 10 minutes instead of 12 and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the recipe
Nice ! Glad its helping..post your next attempt and let us know what workes... Rubbery skin ticks me off... 😆

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back