Crispy Chicken Thighs

jstarnes

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have a great technique for wonderful smoked thighs that I have gleaned from posts on this and other forums. The flavor and juiciness are almost perfect. However, I cannot get the skin crispy. It is always rubbery. I've tried turning up the heat toward the end which has helped but the skin is still not crispy. Any tips.

Chicken thigh skin has a lot of fat underneath it which can cause it to not crisp up. I pull the skin back almost all the way and scrape the fat off with a sharp knife. I then season both the thigh meat and the skin and wrap it back up. Always had good luck with this method. See video below. Hope this helps.

PSX_20210407_213113.jpg

My chicken thighs after prep

Last edited:
I started using this method.
COMPETION THIGHS from above post
Not crispy but very good.

The only way I’ve gotten truly crispy skin on chicken on the 700 is by using grill grates. I can get good “bite through” skin cooking high temp just on the stock grates the whole way, but wouldn’t call it crispy.

Me too. Weber kettle with a Vortex. No fuss, no muss. Perfect every time. Thighs, quarters, wings. It's my chicken machine.

Right there with you. My rectec just doesn't get to high temp consistently and takes forever to get there. My weber is to temp in no time. I wanted the all in one for everything, but that doesn't work. I use the smoker for smoker things and the grill for grill things.

I smoke my wings and drumettes first then crack it up to 475 with the grill grates and finish them off on the grill grates. it is not perfect but does alright

Wash and dry chicken, nothing fancy just pat with paper towel. Trim excess skin (the stuff that hangs off the side of the meat). Add rub, and set grill to 400. Cook with bone side down for 30 min, flip, cook to IT = 205. Crispy skin and fabulous taste.
C2C6458D-FB4C-4728-818A-B2FD40D99E88.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back