Poultry Creole Turkey Breast

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Need 1 lb turkey for my next Brunswick Stew so I tried my first smoked turkey. 7 lb Butterball breast, unfortunately it was the only kind I could find. If you don't know, Butterballs come kind of pre brined. According to the package "up to 8% of a solution of Water, Salt, Spices, and Natural Flavor". This being the case I skipped the butter/seasoning injections and mixed butter and seasoning and rubbed it on all over. Add a coating of the same seasonings. 2.5 hrs @ 325 of Applewood. Came out excellent, had a light creole flavor. Will try and find a non brined one for next time so I can do the injections.

Ended up with 2.5 lbs of breast meat, not being overly picky about cleaning the bones.

Recipe from Serious Eats https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/grilling-cajun-smoked-turkey.html

20201026_153915.jpg
20201026_155351.jpg
20201026_155826.jpg

I’m not a big turkey guy but that makes me want to smoke a turkey breast! Nice job.

Need 1 lb turkey for my next Brunswick Stew so I tried my first smoked turkey. 7 lb Butterball breast, unfortunately it was the only kind I could find. If you don't know, Butterballs come kind of pre brined. According to the package "up to 8% of a solution of Water, Salt, Spices, and Natural Flavor". This being the case I skipped the butter/seasoning injections and mixed butter and seasoning and rubbed it on all over. Add a coating of the same seasonings. 2.5 hrs @ 325 of Applewood. Came out excellent, had a light creole flavor. Will try and find a non brined one for next time so I can do the injections.

Ended up with 2.5 lbs of breast meat, not being overly picky about cleaning the bones.

Recipe from Serious Eats https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/grilling-cajun-smoked-turkey.html

View attachment 6971View attachment 6972View attachment 6973
Looks great! Now, help a brother out. I want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving, but my family will revolt if I do not give them traditional (stuffed inside the turkey) stuffing, which it looks like you have there. How did you make it, and did you like the results?

Hate to say it, but it's Stove Top. And no, it's not as good as my mother used to make in the bird. Even then she'd have to make an extra tray as the stuffing in the bird needs to go in loose, not packed.. It wasn't even close to enough for 6.

Frankly, I’ve always been quite leery of ‘stuffing’ because of the safety concerns. I assumed the family Thanksgiving meal responsibilities from my grandmother (totally skipped my mother!) 40 years ago now, and no one has complained that I make a very nice dressing instead of stuffing!

The turkey breast looks great-I should look into cooking turkey more often myself.

Frankly, I’ve always been quite leery of ‘stuffing’ because of the safety concerns. I assumed the family Thanksgiving meal responsibilities from my grandmother (totally skipped my mother!) 40 years ago now, and no one has complained that I make a very nice dressing instead of stuffing!

The turkey breast looks great-I should look into cooking turkey more often myself.

My aunt made an amazing dressing. I would request it at all the family gatherings. I think part of what made it so good was everything was from scratch, even the biscuits she used as the stuffing.

OP - That looks really good. I looked at the recipe and I would have thought they would have more seasoning on the their turkey. If I were to use their recipe the turkey would be covered in seasoning, but then I like mine with a lot of kick to it.

Nice, gives us some ideas for Thanksgiving, only 4 of this, this year, so we're thinking of just doing a Turkey Breast and a small Whiskey Maple injected smoked ham. Probably still too much meat, but.........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back