Covers, yea or nay?

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I'm thinking this question would only be valid for those on the east coast or PNW where rain is common place.

I have 3 grills, all covered with the best covers I could find, the RT being the one they sell for the 340 that I got a year ago, the other 2 are maybe 2 or 3 years old.

After it rains, if I pull any of the covers, I find the grill wet. If I check them a day later they are still wet. Seeing as how none of these covers work for very long, they do a better job of holding in the rain then keeping it out, is one better off without one? I'm thinking about doing away with them.

I have that problem with some of my covers. I think the key is preventing the water from pooling. I just added the ball mod to the 680 to see if it helps.

I do without. Bugs, rodents, etc take those covers as open invitation to setup shop. Uncovered I can just cover the openings to keep the pests away.

Only issue you'll run into is the grease bucket fills with water. I've got mine covered now so that's solved.

I do without. Bugs, rodents, etc take those covers as open invitation to setup shop. Uncovered I can just cover the openings to keep the pests away.

Only issue you'll run into is the grease bucket fills with water. I've got mine covered now so that's solved.
I've been putting the grease bucket inside the grill when not in use, just need to remember it's there when you fire it up.

That's why your meat prices are high :ROFLMAO:

I’m in agreement with everything @Chris_G said. I’ve never had an issue with any infestations under the covers on any of the other grills, but we’ll see what happens when spidergeddon hits next April. Also, this is the first time I’ve ever had a grease chute on a grill to entice rodents or a grease bucket to attract bears or mountain lions. I may be paying @Hilbe to print me a chute cover and a grease bucket cover later 🤔

I have not covered my 680 for years now, and so far no real issues. I do have some paint peeling on the lower drum, but I take it that is from all the use. I also keep my drip bucket in the pit after use to keep it from filling with water, or the deer and other animals messing with it.

I live in NM...I use a cover for dirt, not rain. 🤪

I'm also one of those that puts the grease bucket in the grill when not using it
Same here on my 340. With the Bull, my bigger issue is that I forget it is under the smoke box, so I only remember to empty it when I see overflow grease on the concrete.

Pro cover...use the Recteq cover on the RT700 with smoke box and love it. On and off in seconds. Keeps the grill dust free and dry from condensation etc. Just need to keep my Small Munsterlander from peeing on it. :rolleyes:

I live in Portland Or. my stuff is under a covered patio, but definitely not out of the elements. I haven't seen any issues and I keep the hoppers full, 380 and 700.

I have all of my stuff under a pergola, but I still cover everything up. Definitely keeps rain out during windy storms. As long as there's no flat spots on the cover, the water won't collect. I drive a convertible and will use convertible top protector on all of my covers. It works quite well. Maybe I don't clean my grease trough out that well, but during the summer months, grease will occasionally drip out and make a mess on my patio floor, so I always keep the drip bucket attached.

I reside in Reno, NV, and have a cover for my Weber kettle and the RT cover for my Bull with the smoke box. Although I have a very long patio cover which keeps the rain off of them, I use the covers mostly for protection from the dust and pollen. Now all's I need to do is continue looking for a cover for the Wyldeside grill.

I'm thinking this question would only be valid for those on the east coast or PNW where rain is common place.

I have 3 grills, all covered with the best covers I could find, the RT being the one they sell for the 340 that I got a year ago, the other 2 are maybe 2 or 3 years old.

After it rains, if I pull any of the covers, I find the grill wet. If I check them a day later they are still wet. Seeing as how none of these covers work for very long, they do a better job of holding in the rain then keeping it out, is one better off without one? I'm thinking about doing away with them.
Never worried about covering up my gas grill. Pellet grills are a whole 'nother story. If you have ever has to disassemble and dig out pellet concrete as I now have, you will make sure the cover is in place. In my Bulls-Eye case, rain blew into the grill body, via the lid vents. A serious pain. While the outside of the grill may be wet, at least your pellets are dry and toasty. If nothing else, protect the vents.... Rip

Just got the RT cover for my bull, and it fits like a glove—but since it’s only been a few days, I can’t speak as to whether it’ll trap moisture. I keep the Bull in my screened back porch so it’s got shelter, but the Florida rain blows around a lot so I got the cover to keep the gusts from getting it all wet. That and to keep the dust off it and keep it lookin’ all purty. So far, so good!

My 590 sits outside on an uncovered patio. I use the Rec Teq cover. I have had the 590 for a few months and so far the cover has not trapped any moisture under the cover. So far so good.

I have kept the RT covers on both my Bullseye and 700 for just over three years now. I live in middle Tennessee (transition zone). I use the covers to protect from bid drips, dirt, dust and to keep the display happy, also for fading as both are exposed and in direct sunlight. I don't think they would look like new still if uncovered this whole time. Never would I let the Bullseye get rained on uncovered. I would be asking for big trouble on that one, but the 700 is fine to grill in the rain with.

20200218_111544.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back